Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #11
Xispe
Xispe
Smashes!
Brawn
Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9 Points: 469, Level: 9
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

My Mood: Amused
Xispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good postsXispe has made some good posts

Funny. All the guys i see hating on the four major lifts are always skinny.
They remind me of those facebook punks hating on great Bodybuilding athletes commenting on pictures "ewww gross" or "steroid freak".

Shut up and squat.
Xispe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Members of Muscle and Brawn Forums have rated post 441789 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,093, Level: 96 Points: 26,093, Level: 96 Points: 26,093, Level: 96
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

These articles made their rounds a few years ago. Even that "cool and well respected" intenet guru Scooby (wink, wink) had one. As a geezer who didn't start lifting until his late 40's, squats saved me. The injury argument is a strawman argument.

Most injuries, not matter the sport, no matter the situation, come from doing something wrong. The child with a bad burn on his hand, probably picked up a hot pot without a pot holder, stupid pot, ban it! The football player who tears his acl while running a route, probably simply planted his foot wrong on the turf when making a cut, dang turf, better ban it! The elderly lady who broke her hip getting out of the bath, probably never considered that the wet foot hitting the slick floor might compromise her stability, down with wetness!

My point is this, every injury has a cause and effect. If I am going to run away and hide every time I might get injured, I will be spending lots of time hiding. If you have followed my journals over the past few years you know a couple things about me. a.) I am a 6ft + ecto with a history of back problems. b.) I have already had one corrective surgery on my back due to a non lifting injury c.) I have had to lay out many a time due to back pain and injury d.) I have not had any issues since I have worked on imbalances I created by quad and back work. Once I started being more consistent with ab work, and making sure I did hamstring and glute work, to balance out the lumbar and quad work, my back issues have become nearly non existent. Take these articles for what they are worth. If you are looking for reasons not to squat, don't use these as your source, instead, man up and just say, "I don't want to squat any more." At least then I will have some respect for you.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

We squat everyday, we deadlift everyday...objects have to be moved, they may not weigh quite as much but it's still the same movement pattern, in general.

I've twisted my ankle walking, as I'm sure most have, that's not a good reason to stop walking.

Poor form, an already weakened back/knees with too much of a load, and many other factors even just a spell of bad luck can cause an injury but most, if not all, find that backs and knees improve with squats and deadlifts as long as they keep their egos in check.

PS: no idea what the links are about, I just assume it's an anti-squat rant.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,181, Level: 46 Points: 5,181, Level: 46 Points: 5,181, Level: 46
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

great article!

ahaha yea xispe i totally agree with you

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've been squatting for 28 years and had one noteworthy injury. Wouldn't consider it major.

Sit on the couch for 28 years and I know you'll have a lot worse than this.

Do anything for 28 yards and you'll have an injury. Woodworking, hacky sack, cooking, knitting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,082, Level: 83 Points: 17,082, Level: 83 Points: 17,082, Level: 83
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've been squatting for 28 years and had one noteworthy injury. Wouldn't consider it major.

Sit on the couch for 28 years and I know you'll have a lot worse than this.

Do anything for 28 yards and you'll have an injury. Woodworking, hacky sack, cooking, knitting.
I got a knitting injury once!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,413, Level: 97 Points: 26,413, Level: 97 Points: 26,413, Level: 97
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post

This is a picture of the author of the article.

Look at the feminine jaw-line, the puffy lips that only serves one purpose and the lack of facial hair.

This is a girly-man, and he is also very scared off pain and progress. But yes, I take his advice on training anyday!
This dude-ish has committed blasphemy of the Church of Squatterville. Off with his head and fed to the lions. However, the lions will still be hungry after him.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook