Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Conan
Conan
aspires to Barbarian-like status
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Chins/pullups (all grips)
Conan is off to a bad start
Default Possible to run Wendler 531 as an ABA program?

Would like some input on the feasibility of running Wendler as an ABA as presented below:

A workout

Military 531 sets
Deadlift 531 sets
assistance

B workout

Squat 531
Bench press 531
Assistance

I was thinking to finish an entire cycle in two weeks (ABABAB) minus deloads (for a while). I know some may (rightfully) frown at this but I am still relatively weak and believe I can run quite a few cycles before stalling: I am 5ft 9 inchesat a body weight of 100kg and my next wendler cycle- which is my second- I would be doing military @ 59tm, dl @ 137.5tm, bp @ 92.5tm and squat@ 95tm; it would take another 3-5 cycles to reach my 'true' lower body TMs and about 6 for my upper body lifts.

Would such an approach be a viable alternative for a late beginner/early intermediate as opposed to going totally linear with SS? Has anybody done 531 as an ABA program?

Conan
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Yes, absolutely. Just structure your assistance work accordingly so that it balances out to about what you would be doing on a once a week 531.

If you were doing 4x8 squats after the 531, split that up into a 2x8 each day following the 531, and so on.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,300, Level: 70 Points: 11,300, Level: 70 Points: 11,300, Level: 70
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

If I remember correctly Wendler actually outlines a 5/3/1 A/B program in the book. And I'm pretty sure there have been a few guys here to run it. You may try searching around the logs.
When I get a chance I'll reference the book and lay it out for you, if you don't have access to it yourself. It may not be today though, kind of busy

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,726, Level: 38 Points: 3,726, Level: 38 Points: 3,726, Level: 38
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
My Mood: Cheerful
Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast

Wendler also has a 3-day 5/3/1 program, which would be a good alternate if you want a bit more variability and don't need that type of frequency. Otherwise, as a natural and beginner or intermediate lifter, I'd go with Steve's post.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Conan
Conan
aspires to Barbarian-like status
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Chins/pullups (all grips)
Conan is off to a bad start

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will take on board what Btb said regarding spreading the assistance work for the week.

As for Bigjosh, I ain't come across an AB 531 variation whilst reading Wendler's works- however it could be out there somewhere.

Henry, I do like Wendler's 3 day programs such as 531 for beginners, fullbody full boring and his other fullbody stuff that's in the 2nd edition; I'm hoping to move to one of them once I've given this AB variation a good run and do a reset.

Conan
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

I am doing a two day split that I found on tnation. .it incorporates a backdown set of as many reps as possible or rest pause, plus rest pause on the assistance
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook