Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #1181
nihilist
nihilist
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4 Points: 234, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

nihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good startnihilist is off to a good start
Default 10x3 sets

Hi Steve,
what's your opinion on heavy 10x3's with short rests for arms or any other body parts?
I know you advocate reps of 5 and above for beginners to intermediate on bench etc, but recently i have been getting some good gains with my biceps going really heavy and only managing 4 rep sets.
I've heard Jason Blaha, and now Chad Waterbury mention the 10x3 sets, but i've not given it a go yet. Is it just down to personal preference, and what works for the individual? Thanks for all the excellent info Steve, Merry Christmas if you celebrate. mark
nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #1182
OHDL
OHDL
Wants more milk!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

100m Running Champion!
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Tired
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
In 6 months you've:

-- Bench Press from 154lbs to 176lbs. 22 pound gain in 6 months
-- Squat from 253lbs to 270lbs. 17 pound gain in 6 months
-- Deadlift from 319lbs to 363lbs. 44 pound gain in 6 months

This is an 83 pound total in 8 months, or a rate of 166 per year. That's actually decent progress for the little amount of food you're eating.

Time to take this seriously. Food is extremely important. You have to set minimums if you want better progress.

--200 grams of protein minimum.
--3000 cals minimum.

Watch the scale. You may need to bump that calorie minimum up if you're not gaining 1-2 pounds per month.

Try training every single body part from head to toe, and focusing on getting it crazy strong...from back to calves. I would love to see you do this in 2014. Do your main lifts and them get some progressive overload in for all major and minor bodyparts.

To improve strength you will need a strong base.
Thanks BtB, is there any type of split or training program you would recommend me do? Really appreciate the advice !
Dead: 200 kg (180 kg)

Start training BJJ/Judo and compete, do a meet, eat more steak !

Take a more positive outlook on life.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #1183
DerrtyDan
DerrtyDan
has no status.
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

DerrtyDan is off to a bad start

Hey BBOD,

I've heard you recommend a 4 day split program for beginners/early intermediates. I saw the program and want to try it out, but I want to make sure that it's right for me. These are my maxes: bench- 325, deadlift- 425, squat- 315. The squat is terrible because I've never actually squatted to parallel until recently and this is the most I can handle. I also recently switched from conventional to sumo deadlift and maxed out @405. i was experiencing severe lower back pain, but after cleaning up my squat form and switching stances it has gone away. my goal is to get stronger; i want to lift ridiculous amounts of weight and compete one day. i'm also really fat, i'm 5'6'' and 240 so i working to lose fat by walking everyday and cleaning up my diet. any advice is much appreciated, thank you.
DerrtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #1184
Johnd1985
Johnd1985
has no status.
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift & Squat
Fav Supp: Positivity
Johnd1985 is new to the forumJohnd1985 is new to the forum
Default My routine

Hi BBOD,

I've been training with weights for about 2yrs now, initially for weight loss but for about the last year it is mostly about strength gain (I still have about 20lbs to lose before I want to stop cutting). In that time I have dropped about 50lbs and got my lifts up to the following

Squat - 260lbs
Deadlift - 350lbs
Bench 215lbs

In 2014 I want to drop the last 20lbs and really try and push my numbers as high as I can. My goals for the of the year are

Squat - 350lbs
Deadlift - 400lbs
Bench - 275lbs

These aren't exact numbers like, but it gives me an idea of what to aim for.

My program at the moment is to have a day a week for each of the main lifts (including a day for OHP). I have a set weight I want to work up for a single. So the rep scheme looks like

Reps % (of top set)
10. 20
8. 50
6. 70
4. 80
2. 90
1. 95
1. 100

Then I move on to

5x2 @ 90%, and 6x4 @ 60% (DE)

I'll then move on to some assistance work for each lift. I then up the weight by 5lbs each workout, if I miss the 100% I try it again the next week and if I miss again I drop it 10lbs and work back up. I dropped the weight down a bit to start with so I haven't missed I lift yet.

As a routine I'm really enjoying it, but I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off so would like to get your thoughts on if it's going to help me in getting stronger agile still dropping some excess fat. Long post I know, but would really appreciate some feedback, thanks
Johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #1185
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
Hi Steve,
what's your opinion on heavy 10x3's with short rests for arms or any other body parts?
I know you advocate reps of 5 and above for beginners to intermediate on bench etc, but recently i have been getting some good gains with my biceps going really heavy and only managing 4 rep sets.
I've heard Jason Blaha, and now Chad Waterbury mention the 10x3 sets, but i've not given it a go yet. Is it just down to personal preference, and what works for the individual? Thanks for all the excellent info Steve, Merry Christmas if you celebrate. mark
I have programs structured like that. I am a fan if the lifter has decent form is focused on progression.

I generalize the 5-12 rep range for most lifters because that's all the 95% really need.

By all means, have at it!

Here is a program I made a while back.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...day-split.html

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #1186
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
Thanks BtB, is there any type of split or training program you would recommend me do? Really appreciate the advice !
Do you have your own full body written out anywhere? Perhaps we can morph it.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #1187
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrtyDan View Post
Hey BBOD,

I've heard you recommend a 4 day split program for beginners/early intermediates. I saw the program and want to try it out, but I want to make sure that it's right for me. These are my maxes: bench- 325, deadlift- 425, squat- 315. The squat is terrible because I've never actually squatted to parallel until recently and this is the most I can handle. I also recently switched from conventional to sumo deadlift and maxed out @405. i was experiencing severe lower back pain, but after cleaning up my squat form and switching stances it has gone away. my goal is to get stronger; i want to lift ridiculous amounts of weight and compete one day. i'm also really fat, i'm 5'6'' and 240 so i working to lose fat by walking everyday and cleaning up my diet. any advice is much appreciated, thank you.
You have very good strength. Definitely an intermediate. The only thing I would recommend is posting videos of your lift form sometime so we can see if anything needs improvement.

Just make sure when cleaning up your diet to at first keep the calories the same, for about a month.

Then drop the cals by only 300 per day and watch the scale. These slow drops will help you to maintain or even gain strength while dropping a few pounds.

If the scale isn't moving then drop daily cals by another 200 per day and see what happens. You wan't to slowly dial down calories over time until you reach a weekly weight loss rate that is comfortable for you.

Don't worry if you lose strength during lat loss. Focus on what you can control and think long run.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #1188
DerrtyDan
DerrtyDan
has no status.

Quote:
You have very good strength. Definitely an intermediate. The only thing I would recommend is posting videos of your lift form sometime so we can see if anything needs improvement.

Just make sure when cleaning up your diet to at first keep the calories the same, for about a month.

Then drop the cals by only 300 per day and watch the scale. These slow drops will help you to maintain or even gain strength while dropping a few pounds.

If the scale isn't moving then drop daily cals by another 200 per day and see what happens. You wan't to slowly dial down calories over time until you reach a weekly weight loss rate that is comfortable for you.

Don't worry if you lose strength during lat loss. Focus on what you can control and think long run.
I will try to post form vids this week. I just got a new camera with recording and new to figure out how to work it. Do you want a side profile for all the lifts? Also, thank you for the fat loss advice, I'll keep the calories the same for a month and progress from there.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #1189
OHDL
OHDL
Wants more milk!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35 Points: 3,317, Level: 35
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

100m Running Champion!
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Tired
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Quote:
Do you have your own full body written out anywhere? Perhaps we can morph it.
A
Squat
Bench
BB Row
Shrugs
Tris
Bi's

B
Front squat
Press
Dead
Chins
Dips
Abs

Im thinking of alternating these two ABA BAB or perhaps keeping it ABA since deadlifting twice a week could be quite hard to recover from. Im really not sure on the rep ranges, i was thinking ramping 5x5 for the first 3 on each day and 3x8 on the rest. But unsure if thats enough volume.
Dead: 200 kg (180 kg)

Start training BJJ/Judo and compete, do a meet, eat more steak !

Take a more positive outlook on life.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by OHDL; 12-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #1190
DerrtyDan
DerrtyDan
has no status.

Hey BBOD,

One more question, I've decided to switch to a full body strength program using 5/3/1 just to simplify my life. Do you have any tips on programming full body for strength? Wendler likes to use a lot of 5x10 for db bench press and the like. I know you are not a fan of 5x10, so i how would i change this? fewer sets and more reps? thanks again.

Share with Facebook