Craig Pfisterer
is getting too old for this shit.
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,363, Level: 42 Points: 4,363, Level: 42 Points: 4,363, Level: 42
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Second week down in the book. Upper body still going strong but had a hiccup with lower body. Going to make changes to that from here on out. I can handle the two overhead sessions in the week but deadlift is suffering from doing heavy squats. Will have to try alternating them. Well see how things are in two weeks time if the contest is in the cards. Didnt get event training in this week due to stress from this week as well as snow. Will be a bit more planned from here on.

December 09, 2013 Overhead Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Axle Clean and Jerks (one clean)
80x5
110x5
140x3
170x3
200x1
230x4
230x4
230x4
230x4
260x2
290x2 PR+5lbs

Axle Jerks
265x8 PR+5lbs
270x7 PR+5lbs
270x6

Axle Klolov Presses
80x15
80x15
80x15

Band Triceps Pressdowns
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25
LB+MBx25

Face Pulls
ABx25
ABx25
ABx25
ABx25

24 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Not bad. Continuing the Ort/Mag and still feeling good. Some hesitation with the heavy double at the end. Just got to keep pushing. Rack work felt better this go around, possibly from the heavy front squats making it feel light. I think that rather than doing straight sets of 8, Im going to do a weight and when I hit 8, Ill add weight. Not much to say after the big work, just finished up with the light stuff.

December 10, 2013 Deadlift Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Deadlifts
135x5
135x5
225x3
315x3
405x1
Add Straps
455x4
455x4
455x4
455x4
520x2
585x0

Comments: Ass. This all felt heavier than last week. Plan here was to do a double with 585lbs. My best triple is 585lbs. Couldnt even break it off the floor. Ort/Mag for deadlift is out. Called it a night to simmer down.

December 12, 2013 Squat Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

21" Axle Front Box Squats w/ ABs
No Bands
72x5
72x5
116x3
160x3
Add Bands (+145lbs)
72x3
116x3
160x3
205x3
225x3
245x3
265x3
285x3
305x3
325x3
345x3

Axle Zercher Squats
305x10
305x10
305x10

Meadow Rows
125x12/12
125x12/12

Band Leg Curls
ABx25
ABx25
ABx25
ABx25

26 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: This went well. I really wasnt expecting much and Im happy to hit my goal plus 40lbs with no hard belt. I dont think Ill be doing this again though and just stick with straight weight. Spent time after this to recover and think about what to do next. After messing around with some stuff, I went with zerchers again. Had to use the tiered rack so a lot of walking out for these. Put rows in this day to see if my arms would let me. Going to move it back to press day.

December 13, 2013 Press Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Seated Axle Rack Presses (Forehead Height, No Back Support)
75x5
100x5
125x5
150x5
175x5
200x5
225x5

Close Grip Axle Incline Bench Presses
175x3
210x3
240x8 PR+5lbs
245x8 PR+2 reps
250x6 PR+5lbs

EZ Curl Bar Skull Crushers
110x12
110x12
110x12

IYTs
5sx12
5sx12
5sx12

21 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: I liked how z-presses went so I stuff with something similar. Ive done them with the swiss bar and barbell but from the top of my head. Makes a big difference. Just keep adding weight and doing sets of 5. I decided to take the same idea that I started using for jerks and did sets of 8, adding weight if I got it. Added 10lbs from last week but it was ugly. Skull crushers seem to get easier the more I do them.

Craig Pfisterer is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #622
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Week 3 was a bust. I hit a detour in the way of an injury. Did something to my back doing block pulls. Feels similar to what happened back in June. Understandably pissed off about it. Going to spend time thinking about how to proceed from here. I've come back from injury before and can do it again. Not sure how long I'll be out though.

December 17, 2013 Overhead Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Axle Clean and Jerks (one clean)
85x5
115x5
145x3
175x3
205x1
235x4
235x4
235x4
235x4
265x2
295x2 PR+5lbs

Axle Jerks
270x6
270x6
270x5

Axle Klolov Presses
85x15
85x15
85x15

Band Triceps Pressdowns
LB+MMBx25
LB+MMBx25
LB+MMBx25
LB+MBx25

Face Pulls
AB+MMBx25
AB+MMBx25
AB+MMBx25
AB+MMBx25

22 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Still going strong here. I screwed up the light single before the work sets. I pulled it too high and had to think about it and ended up like strict pressing it. Soft belt keep trying to pop off during the work sets. It did on the last set of 235lbs. Had another wake-up call with 265lbs when I missed the first rep. I tried to use the rebound from catching the weight from pop off the stomach but it was too far out in front. Had to slow it down and get the double I needed. Definite wake-up for me going in to the heavy double. Made sure that I took my time and hit that double solidly. I think the rack work with holding the weight for so long is making it easier for me to let everything settle on my heavy attempts. Weight felt heavy with the rack jerks, only got six reps on my best set. Klolov presses are starting to get hard at this point. Band stuff was good, forgot my mini band so I made a bigger jump than I had planned for face pulls.

December 18, 2013 Lower Body Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

6" Block Pulls
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x5
455x5
Add Straps
495x5
545x5
585x0
585x1

Safety Squat Bar Squats
155x3
205x1

Comments: Another terrible deadlift session. What stinks about this one is that I felt strong. The plan was sets of five on 6" block pulls, adding plate-quarter-plate style after warming up. I was doing the sets beltless and was going to put the belt on eventually. My body had other plans. Something in my lower back just went on my fourth rep with 545lbs. I felt a lot of tension and then something shifted, the tension was gone and pain flooded my back and hips. I took a moment to regroup and pulled my fifth rep. It was a weird feeling and I wasn't sure what it was but I thought it would pass. Put on the hard belt and couldn't budge 585lbs due to the pain. I rested a good five minutes or so and gave it another shot and managed to pull it up once. I started doing squats but it was too much and I packed it in and called it a day.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #623
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Update

Havent been posting. Nothing to post, just like last time. Injuries blow and I was letting this heal on its own. I figured some days off work from the holidays would give me plenty of time to recuperate. But then on Monday, December 30, my left foot kept on feeling like it was cold and going to sleep while I was at work and I panicked. If there is one thing I know about back issues, it is not a good thing to have stuff radiating elsewhere. The earliest I could see someone was that Thursday with the holidays. I went to the gym to do some reverse hyperextensions to see if that would alleviate some of the symptoms. I went to the ortho and they took x-rays but they were inconclusive so I was scheduled for an MRI the following Tuesday. I had my chiro send over my old x-rays to compare with the new ones. Never had an MRI done before but it was noisy and very confining. The good news is that it doesnt appear that my current problems are skeletal or nerve related. Most likely muscular in nature. The MRI did show that I had some disc herniation in the T12 spine and deterioration in my lumbar spine. Current treatment is another 12 day taper of Prednisone that I started on Thursday. The hope is this will fix the swelling that is bothering my left side. Im not feeling the anxiety I felt last time when I took it so that is a plus. Im also going to be prescribed some muscle relaxant cream to use after workouts. I met with the ortho again on Friday to discuss some other things. The main concern was how long can I keep doing this? Cant be doing this routine every six months. Id like to be able to do this into my mid-Forties but my folks seem to think I have another 3-5 years tops. The sport beats you up and Im already feeling pretty old at this point. Do I want to push it at the risk of being unable to play with my (theoretical) children and grandchildren? So where do I go from here? Ive cut my food intake considerably and lost about 18lbs of weight and Im not in the best shape. The best I got right now is to hit the gym light this week and hopefully start doing stuff after that.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #624
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

January 13, 2014, January 15, 2014 & January 17, 2014

Dynamic Warm-ups

Pull-ups/Push-ups Ladders

bwx(1/3,2/6,3/9,4/12,5/15)

One Leg Standing Leg Curls
50/50x25
50/50x25
50/50x25
50/50x25

27-29 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: This is the week before I actually start training and the idea was to just do high volume stuff for my upper body and legs that wouldn't stress my lower back. I did the same workout all three days. Will have to see how actually lifting will feel this coming week. I added back in the two shakes I dropped and add back in HMB. I feel so much better with the added calories back in my diet.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #625
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Starting my new training today. I'm working with my friend Brett Somerville. I'm gearing for the Capital Classic the first week of May. Training is going to be little different in that the first half will be working around the back issue while getting my weak points strong, then the second half will bring event specific stuff back in. What have I got to lose?

January 21, 2014 Week 1, Day 1

Dynamic Warm-ups

Close Grip Barbell Bench Presses
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x5
295x5
315x5

Band Face Pulls
AB+LBx10
AB+LBx10
AB+LBx10
AB+LBx10

Incline Bench Rear Delt Dumbbell Raises
30'sx21
30'sx17

28 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Back to lifting finally. Form felt fine but strength was definitely lacking from time off. Would have liked to have done another 20lbs for a small PR but it wasn't happening today. Face pulls are weird with the higher band tension since it really tries to pull me off balance. I moved these and the rear delt stuff quick as the gym was closing early due to the snow. I've done more than 30's but I felt like going light and going until I couldn't do another without taking a breath. Finished up stretching at home. Hopefully this is just the start of something good.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #626
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looking good in here. Keep killing it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #627
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Looking good in here. Keep killing it.
Thanks BTB.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #628
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 21,211, Level: 91 Points: 21,211, Level: 91 Points: 21,211, Level: 91
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Nice work Craig!

Any particular stretching routine you follow? I see after every training session you stretch for a while, just wondering your technique, thanks

Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #629
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Nice work Craig!

Any particular stretching routine you follow? I see after every training session you stretch for a while, just wondering your technique, thanks
Thanks jwood. I just start stretching the calves and work my way up to my neck. Spend a lot of time on the hamstrings.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #630
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

January 23, 2014 Week 1, Day 2

Dynamic Warm-ups

Dumbbell Front Squats
53x3
53x3
55x1
80x12
90x12
100x12
110x11
120x13

Safety Squat Bar Step-Ups (24")
60x8/8
70x8/8
80x8/8
90x8/8

Leg Extensions
135x25
135x20

Standing Cable Rope Abs
150x21

25 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: First lower body session after time off. Even though the stuff is light, the ortho wanted me to wear my rehband back support while lifting to keep my back muscles warm. I probably should have worn it last workout. First up was a dumbbell squat variation. I'm not sure if I did them right but I did my best. I worked on trying to stay upright and feel the hips and glutes working. Paused in the hole as well. I lost count on the second to last set and only did 11 so I did another rep on the last set. So far, so good. Next was step-ups with the ssb. Nothing new here but this was probably more of a test than the squats in that it would put more lateral stress on my back. This went well too. Next was leg extensions. I haven't done this exercise in over a decade. I used to be good at them haha. I tried budging 200lbs but that wasn't happening so I went with the lowest number my ego could handle. No knee issues so happy about that. Last item of the day was standing ab work. First rep I felt something shift in my back but rather than pain, I felt relief. Maybe I just needed to do a sit-up this whole time haha. Stretched out and called it a day.

Share with Facebook