Max Brawn
Points: 14,560, Level: 78 Points: 14,560, Level: 78 Points: 14,560, Level: 78
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Been busy! So busy you need an extra gym!

Temps have hovered around zero here...sucks!
We didn't get out of the 20's for over a day here. Not exactly arctic temps, but I'm a Florida boy who went straight west to Texas. This is not my cup of tea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Gettin it done man, hope the pressing keeps feeling better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Keep killing it Soldier.
Thanks guys. Feeling good!

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #222
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

2 sessions today, both already done. Gotta take it where I can get it, even if these impromptu sessions screw up my pre and post workout nutrition.

Whatever, I got the work done.

Session 1- PT get cancelled this morning, so I hit the functional fitness gym. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do because I couldn't do all the bodybuilding type work I normally do for my midweek leg session, so I just grabbed some bands and decided to experiment.

Speed pulls with average bands-
45x a bunch
135x5
225x5
275x3
275x3
275x3

Reverse band squats (first time doing these)-
135x5
225x5
315x3
365x3
405x3
425x2

The power racks in the gyms here are REALLY high, so unfortunately the bands were already stretch at the top position. I hung a 25lb plate from 1 band and it stretched down to the bar, so I guess that the bands were holding 50lb even at the top. They were probably supporting 100-150lb at the bottom, but I can't be sure.

I LOVE reverse band work. I knew I would. I love it for the same reason I like gear. You can load up a retarded amount of weight and move it like a mutch lighter load. You LOOK like a badass, you feel like a badass, and no matter what anyone says, that shit matters.

I also love it because, just like chains, you don't really know how much weight you're moving. That eliminates all the mental blocks that come with certain numbers. You can just keep adding weight until it gets heavy, do some lifting, then move on from there.

speaking of nutrition, my diet has been shaky. I'm gaining weight, and although I'm getting stronger, I don't want to get fat again. I need to monitor it more, and there may be another cut coming after our upcoming christmas trip home (Our last trip home pushed me up over the 240 mark. That's not somewhere I want to be again). Hopefully next time I can use the knowledge and experience I have now to keep my strength (NO LOW CARB DIETS FOR ME!).

The goal at the moment is a 2xbodyweight raw squat. Whether that's 405 at 200lb or 465 at 230lb doesn't make a difference to me. I also want to get back to a 1.5xbodyweight bench, but that may be a more long-term process with everything I'm trying to deal with.

Speaking of upper body, here's session 2-

Incline press-
45x12
95x8
135x8
135x8
135x8

These hurt my shoulder a little. I couldn't feel connected to the bench the same way I've felt during flat bench. I really wanted to build a solid incline and military press, but it looks like they'll always lag well behind my bench.

Wide grip cable rows-
50x12
80x12
110x12
110x12
110x12

Lateral raise-
10x8
20x8
20x8
20x8

Opposing close grip pulldowns-
50x12
90x12
125x12
125x12
125x12

Just like last week, these gave me an INSANE pump on my upper/outer lats. To the point where it was quite painful. This is obviously a weakness for me. I've always prefered wide grip pullups, which doesn't stretch the out lat like this closer grip does. I need to keep doing these.

Smith machine inverted skull crushers-
Set the bar to a little over 1ft lower than my face, put my palms on the bar, then lowered myself towards the bar by bending only at the elbow.
BWx8
BWx8
BWx8

I'm going to feel my elbows later, and not in a good way, but that's what a good tricep isolation movement will do.

Single arm cable curls-
40x8
50x8
50x5
50x5
50x4

I should do more direct arm work. My arms are ok, but not what they could be both strength-wise and size-wise.

Last edited by Soldier; 12-11-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #223
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

You're quite a salesman for reverse band work!

I think your lift x BW goals are sound.

Odd, wide grip pull ups stretch my lats more than close grip...go figure!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #224
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Keep killing it solider.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #225
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Nice work Soldier. For me nutrition is about good carbs not low carbs. Get that 2x squat!
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #226
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Thanks guys. I decided to combine my max bench and max squat sessions today. I don't prefer to do this, but I was training with a guy from work and I've got a lot to do this weekend.

I did more reverse band stuff and more PMT for squat.

Bench-
45x a bunch
135x5
185x5

Reverse band bench-
225x5
275x5
295x3
315x3
335x3

Bench-
225x4 (Post injury PR, but it did hurt a little in the shoulder)

There was little/no band assistance at the top of these lifts, but the band was doubled up and took up quite a bit of the weight at the bottom, probably around 100lb. I've already talked about how much I love reverse band work, and this was no exception. The bands were set up perfectly for what I wanted, because the top of the lift was just a little tougher than the bottom. I wanted it this way to protect my shoulder and help develop my weaker triceps.

Squats-
45x5
135x5
185x5
225x3

Partial pin squats (position 10)-
275x5
315x5
365x5
405x10
405x8
405x10

This worked out exactly as I had hoped. These partials absolutely destroy me and take every ounce of effort I have. The lighter dynamic/bodybuilding sessions mid week help me get a little extra work in while still letting me recover for 1 heavy lower body session each week. Last time I did partial squats I struggles with 405x5. Today with the same weight and the same depth I could have popped off sets of 5 all day with little effort. I've definitely adapted to this depth. Unfortunately, this means it's time to drop down to the next pin position.

Well, I should day unfortunately. The point, after all, is to continue to drop the pins and continue to get stronger, but the deeper these pins get the less enjoyable the sessions are.

I KNOW I'm getting stronger. I have to be. A month ago I couldn't squat 365. I got absolutely pinned. I think after another month or two of this training 365 won't be a problem, and hopefully I'll be closer to 400.

The guy I trained with is lean and tall. Turns out he's also naturally strong as hell. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty jealous. I told him that if he let me couch him and change his form he'd be benching 315+ soon with no problem. Hopefully he takes me up on it, but I've been in this position before and things never pan out, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

He really enjoyed the weirder methods I use. Some might call them gimmicks, but hard work is hard work and heavy is heavy. If I use bands and partials but still lift my ass off then I'm still getting stronger, and maybe doing it even faster than someone using more traditional methods.

In the end, I still use progression. Most people who do gimmicky workouts do it to avoid hard work, and they neglect progression. No one can say I do either.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #227
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Upper body assistance/bodybuilding day today. I trained at work and used lots of machines, so I won't be able to remember every weight. I'll list the movements I did. Each one was done for 3 working sets of 8-12.

Cable overhead press.

Wide, opposing grip cable rows.

Lateral raise-
10x8
20x8
30x8 sloppy reps (I wanted to use 25's, but there were none to be found.)
20x8

Close, opposing grip pulldows-
50x12
80x12
120x12
120x12
140x12

Cable curls, supersetted with cable overhead triceps extensions.

Extended range on motion pushups with hands on blocks-
BWx12
BWx10
BWx8

Awesome pump today. I need to keep getting in some good arm work along with my other upper body work, as my arms have always been a bit of a weakness.

Friday and Saturday I'm driving the family back to Florida for 2 weeks. I can't wait to see my family and just relax, but I'll still be training while I'm there. Hopefully I can keep from gaining as much weight as I gained last time I was back home (it was bad, lol).

Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #228
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Today's weight check- 216.4. 2 days ago I actually weighed over 220, but after a couple days of eating based on hunger (I know, foreign concept) and getting way more water I was able to drop 4lb. That means I'm gaining about 1lb a week, which is actually still a little much for what I'm trying to do. I'll keep eating a little better and getting my water, and hopefully I'll slow the gain down.

Of course, I don't mind gaining a little weight. I'm definitely getting stronger and hopefully I'll be back over 400 in the raw squat soon enough. My left knee has felt a little weird the last couple days, but it doesn't feel weak and I don't notice any difference once I'm warmed up.

Upper body is still a touchy subject. I'm training the crap out of my shoulders, but weird things are happening. A couple months ago it didn't hurt at all to do overhead press, but bench hurt a lot. Now OHP's are not feeling so great and the bench is feeling much better. I'm definitely not 100%, but the pain is forcing me to be extremely form-conscious. Before my only form thoughts were how to move more weight, but now it's about making sure I don't hurt myself again.

I've noticed that if I try to lift the bar, my shoulder hurts. If, however, I try to push my upper back into the pad as I lift it feels much better. I'm going to continue to use accomodating resistance (Bands, chains, and slingshot) to try and build triceps strength and help to take the strain off my chest/shoulders as the weights continue to go up. Of course, this also takes the strain off my shoulder which is a very good thing.

I'll do lower body dynamic/bodybulding day today, then the next 2 days I'll be in the car with the family driving to Florida!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #229
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,268, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'll do lower body dynamic/bodybulding day today, then the next 2 days I'll be in the car with the family driving to Florida!
Enjoy the time away.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #230
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

where abouts in Florida if you dont mind me asking?

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook