Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default What is a 'low carb diet'?

Okay so I've started a low carb diet (low for me anyway) and was curious about something...

I work out twice a day, basketball and weightlifting with about an hour of walking also, and I'm trying to cut some body fat.

I was eating anywhere from 350-550 grams of carbs before, and right now it's around 100-150, is that too high? Will my body still use the carbs as energy instead of fat? Fat is around 160-175 right now although I'm not quite hitting it (any tips there?!).

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Don't forget I'm an athlete (basketball) and I only eat my carbs pre (still low carb, about 15-20g) and post workout being about 30-40 at most with just salads and veggies in between!

Curious as to what you guys think! Last time I did low carb cut I lost so much weight real fast as my metabolism is like a freaking Ferrari, it's madness! I crashed as I never really ate fat before, but I am now and I feel fuller (stomach and muscles) and more energised after 1.5 weeks! Any input would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Make each day your masterpiece

YouTube.com/JRKDMG
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,474,642, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs View Post

I was eating anywhere from 350-550 grams of carbs before, and right now it's around 100-150, is that too high?
No. There is no one way to do things. Some just reduce carbs, some rotate carbs, etc.

Quote:
Will my body still use the carbs as energy instead of fat?
The body uses everything for energy. It's more about calories in/out as long as you're not a bloated, insulin sensitive, fat old 40-something sot with diabetes like me.

The biggest thing you should do is slowly back down your cals from maintenance. Start with 300 under and run that for 2 weeks. Try cutting out 75 grams of carbs per day.

Don't make a big jump down in calories. This is a mistake too many people make, and then they wonder why they feel so weak.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,587, Level: 75 Points: 13,587, Level: 75 Points: 13,587, Level: 75
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

With your activity level I'd stay away from strict low carb dieting. First just cut some calories and see how your respond. Save carb manipulation for the time when simple calorie cutting isn't getting you where you want anymore. 100g will probably be enough to keep you going, but I'd think that 150-200 would probably be better at this point.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
No. There is no one way to do things. Some just reduce carbs, some rotate carbs, etc.

The body uses everything for energy. It's more about calories in/out as long as you're not a bloated, insulin sensitive, fat old 40-something sot with diabetes like me.

The biggest thing you should do is slowly back down your cals from maintenance. Start with 300 under and run that for 2 weeks. Try cutting out 75 grams of carbs per day.

Don't make a big jump down in calories. This is a mistake too many people make, and then they wonder why they feel so weak.
Thanks BTB! I really like what I'm doing with higher fat as I feel much fuller, and am much stronger!! It's going really well and I think I've found calories that work for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
With your activity level I'd stay away from strict low carb dieting. First just cut some calories and see how your respond. Save carb manipulation for the time when simple calorie cutting isn't getting you where you want anymore. 100g will probably be enough to keep you going, but I'd think that 150-200 would probably be better at this point.
I'm going to stick with around 150g, today I had 210 grams as I had a cheat meal (First in two weeks without cravings, proud of myself!) - I'm enjoying what I'm doing though and it appears to be going well!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook