Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #431
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
So I know it's a smith machine. but it's a free-motion smith machine and it's the best that my gym can do. When I am a week out from my meet I will pay a daily fee at a more expensive gym to use a real squat rack. I'm seven weeks out right now.

After taking a second look, and assuming you squat exactly the same with free weight, I can see that you are not recruiting your glutes very well in this squat...if at all.

When you come out of the hole, you are pushing with your legs. I say that because of the way your ass fires out behind you. It kind of does a "C" motion during your squat.

You need to keep them TIGHT throughout the lift. Keep your entire body TIGHT. What helps me is to envision myself exploding from pressure while I am in the hole. That is how tight you should try to be, not just in the glutes, but in the entire body.

If you've ever done the hip adductor machine (the one where you push out with your knees), you can feel that it activates your glutes as well. Pushing your knees out hard will help you keep your glutes in the lift. Along with that, just flex them as hard as you can. Pretend you have a walnut in between your cheeks and that you are trying to crack it open! The power of visualization!

Good luck at your meet!
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #432
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

So how's my deadlift? 170 kg = 375 lbs. And more importantly how could I improve it? I'm pretty happy with how it feels, it feels strong and doesn't hurt anywhere.

My training partner said my lower back rounds too much, but in fact it feels better to keep it that way rather than try to arch it. It would always hurt in a bad way when I try to keep it arched.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 11-29-2013 at 08:06 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #433
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post

So how's my deadlift? 170 kg = 375 lbs. And more importantly how could I improve it? I'm pretty happy with how it feels, it feels strong and doesn't hurt anywhere.

My training partner said my lower back rounds too much, but in fact it feels better to keep it that way rather than try to arch it. It would always hurt in a bad way when I try to keep it arched.
At the last second you try to straighten out your back. Unfortunately some bad stuff is happening when you do that. When you straighten out it pushes your upper body forwards over the bar which puts your shoulders out of the bar. That tends to force people to get out on their toes and shifts all the weight onto the lower back.

When you straighten out your back, do it by bending your knees more and pulling your butt towards the ground slightly. Same idea, different implementation. Another way to think about it is to straighten your back by pushing your stomach closer to the top of your thighs.

Don't worry about arching your back. Your spine is more or less neutral and that's fine.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #434
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
At the last second you try to straighten out your back. Unfortunately some bad stuff is happening when you do that. When you straighten out it pushes your upper body forwards over the bar which puts your shoulders out of the bar. That tends to force people to get out on their toes and shifts all the weight onto the lower back.

When you straighten out your back, do it by bending your knees more and pulling your butt towards the ground slightly. Same idea, different implementation. Another way to think about it is to straighten your back by pushing your stomach closer to the top of your thighs.

Don't worry about arching your back. Your spine is more or less neutral and that's fine.
Well said.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #435
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Thanks! I'll try those tips!!

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #436
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14

Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

I was doing my last set of squats today and decided to record it, I thought I wasn't hitting parallel but it turned out I was way below that. Anyway, I put this here, let me know what you guys think. Oh yeah, i was doing at my home gym, my barbell is just a lame regular barbell not an olimpic barbell, hence a little bit of extra plates stacked. 96kgx3 at a bw of 78kg

@mohiz: As far as I know your back shouldn't be arched at all, excesive extension or compression of the lumbar curvature is bad during a deadlift, your back should be in its neutral natural position. It looks like you have some thoracic compression at the beggining of the lift then you extend it as you go, not sure if you do this on purpose or is just the way you naturally do it. I personally wouldn't worry about it if you've been deadlifting like this painfree for long period of time (170kg deadlift is not a novice deadlift)

Now with this said, my gf has a very pronounced lumbar curvature, her butt sticks out a lot like a bubble, i think this is called lordosis, is there some specific advice for this kind of people? I've heard some extra core work will keep them safe during squats and deadlifts
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #437
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
I was doing my last set of squats today and decided to record it, I thought I wasn't hitting parallel but it turned out I was way below that. Anyway, I put this here, let me know what you guys think. Oh yeah, i was doing at my home gym, my barbell is just a lame regular barbell not an olimpic barbell, hence a little bit of extra plates stacked. 96kgx3 at a bw of 78kg

You aren't recruiting your glutes in your squat. That is fine if your goal is to train your quads, but if your goal is to squat big weights then this isn't the best way.

The weight looks light for you and you are dropping fast which gives you good rebound. I find for me that as the weight gets heavier, and I drop fast I tend to lose my tightness, especially in the hips and glutes. Not saying that this is the case for you, but it looks like you are letting your tightness go so that you can drop faster, and winding up loose in the hole as a result.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #438
davez
davez
is trying to get bigger and stronger
Brawn
Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14 Points: 726, Level: 14

Training Type: Starting Strength
My Mood: Relaxed
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
You aren't recruiting your glutes in your squat. That is fine if your goal is to train your quads, but if your goal is to squat big weights then this isn't the best way.

The weight looks light for you and you are dropping fast which gives you good rebound. I find for me that as the weight gets heavier, and I drop fast I tend to lose my tightness, especially in the hips and glutes. Not saying that this is the case for you, but it looks like you are letting your tightness go so that you can drop faster, and winding up loose in the hole as a result.
Uhmm yeah well I didn't feel my glutes or my hammstrings work as hard as my quads on this set but for now my goal is to get strong, I want to hit a 300lbs squat. To be honest, I wasn't thinking about rebounding the weight, all that was in my mind was to be fast and explosive.

To tell you the truth I get scared a bit when doing heavy squats alone (I usually train with a friend), if I would have to measure the difficulty for this set I would give it an 8 out of 10, I'll definitively can't go pass the 6 rep, 3rd rep was starting to get difficult out of the bottom. My squat is by far the worst of my lifts, I can deadlift 120kg for 5 reps.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #439
linedriver465
linedriver465
Work, Eat, Train, Sleep, Rinse, Repeat
Max Brawn
Points: 5,757, Level: 49 Points: 5,757, Level: 49 Points: 5,757, Level: 49
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Volume
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Inspired
linedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beastlinedriver465 is a lifting beast

Input always appreciated! From 12/3; BW approx 178lbs

Low bar Squat
255x12

255x10

High bar Squat
225x15

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates

Follow my lifting log!

"Life is too short to dick around" - Steve Shaw
linedriver465 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #440
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Linedriver, more angles! Can hardly tell anything from just a side view.

From what I can see, however, everything looks pretty good. If you're goal is to compete, try not to move around so much. More control, more consistency.

Share with Facebook