Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #41
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,498, Level: 78 Points: 14,498, Level: 78 Points: 14,498, Level: 78
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
In the last 2 days I've experienced something very new to me; my appetite has all but disappeared. Not only did I get pretty sick (stomach-wise) only a couple days ago, but we are also experiencing unseasonably cold weather. That combined with lots of busy-ness at work has left me with no interest at all in food. I'm eating around my workouts and at dinner time partially because of habit and partially because I know I need to keep up my intake.

Is this how the people who always wine about not being able to eat enough food feel all the time? What a horrible way to go through life, lol.

3 days, 7 hours, 48 minutes and 20 seconds. That's how long it takes to get over a stomach bug. I'll have another hamburger, please!

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

If you are noticably stronger in the wide grip bench than the narrow grip, train the shit out of your narrow until it's strong too. The opposite is true as well. If you suck at the wide grip (not crazy wide, but with fingers on the ring), then train it. A vast difference in strength between grips/stances, within reason, shows a weakness that must be addressed.

This is also true of squats. If you've always squatted wide, do a cycle to strengthen your narrow stance squat.

Remember, there's a REASON that you're weaker on certain variations; the muscles that take over during that variation are weak, and that's a recipe for disaster.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #43
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Lately I've been looking into guns. I'm planning to buy and carry a handgun after I get my tax refund. While I was researching, a light bulb came on over my head. There are so many guns designed specifically for carrying, and tons of companies that design holsters just for concealing weapons. That means that every day while I walk around I'm passing tons of people who are armed.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. I've had a little tactical training. I also know that getting a little training in something usually means someone knows just enough to get them in trouble, and in a situation that involves guns, if you get in trouble, EVERYONE is in trouble.

But most people who carry guns have plenty of training in gun operation. Unfortunately, operating a gun isn't the most important aspect of carrying a gun. Knowing how to change a mag or correctly clear a weapon doesn't mean you're going to have the situational awareness to know that the .45 ACP rounds coming out of your 1911 might go right through that bad guy and into the little girl 20ft behind him. Even little things like looking around corners can make all the difference in a tactical situation (For the record, if you need to look around a corner and you think there might be a bad guy, get down on the ground and poke your head around really low. If someone is waiting to shoot you they'll be looking/aiming at normal head level, and they won't be able to react quickly enough).

I feel that I would be more prepared than most if something did happen, which is actually a scary thought because like I said, I know just enough to get me in trouble.

But I want to be prepared. If something happens, I want to be the one reacting instead of relying on someone else to react.

My wife also wants to carry. My god, we're all in trouble.

Last edited by Soldier; 12-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #44
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Thanks for the tip on checking around corners.
Makes sense.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #45
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,289, Level: 70 Points: 11,289, Level: 70 Points: 11,289, Level: 70
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Lately I've been looking into guns. I'm planning to buy and carry a handgun after I get my tax refund. While I was researching, a light bulb came on over my head. There are so many guns designed specifically for carrying, and tons of companies that design holsters just for concealing weapons. That means that every day while I walk around I'm passing tons of people who are armed.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. I've had a little tactical training. I also know that getting a little training in something usually means someone knows just enough to get them in trouble, and in a situation that involves guns, if you get in trouble, EVERYONE is in trouble.

But most people who carry guns have plenty of training in gun operation. Unfortunately, operating a gun isn't the most important aspect of carrying a gun. Knowing how to change a mag or correctly clear a weapon doesn't mean you're going to have the situational awareness to know that the .45 ACP rounds coming out of your 1911 might go right through that bad guy and into the little girl 20ft behind him. Even little things like looking around corners can make all the difference in a tactical situation (For the record, if you need to look around a corner and you think there might be a bad guy, get down on the ground and poke your head around really low. If someone is waiting to shoot you they'll be looking/aiming at normal head level, and they won't be able to react quickly enough).

I feel that I would be more prepared than most if something did happen, which is actually a scary thought because like I said, I know just enough to get me in trouble.

But I want to be prepared. If something happens, I want to be the one reacting instead of relying on someone else to react.

My wife also wants to carry. My god, we're all in trouble.
Concealed carry, tactical training and situational awareness are all part of the legal self defense puzzle, as you touched on. But Knowledge of the law is an equally important piece.
Why are you interested in self defense? Most people would answer something along the lines of to protect myself, my family, loved ones, etc.
Well, carrying a firearm is a liablility. A liability that when used incorrectly can land you in court or in jail. If one's goal is to protect themselves or as in your case your wife, then why would one put themselves at risk of expensive and stressful legal battles or at risk of losing their freedom? If one is in jail, they are not protecting nor are they providing for their family.
Know the laws in your city and state as they pertain to your concealed carry and your rights to self defense. Know when it is justified to shoot and when it is not. Do not leave it up to chance.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #46
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Excellent post Josh. Very good addition!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #47
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,797, Level: 73 Points: 12,797, Level: 73 Points: 12,797, Level: 73
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Excellent points.

So many people talk about how fast they can draw and their backup gun nobody can see and the extra knife and all the martial arts they know, yet they have no clue when their justified to draw that weapon. Laws change state to state, do you know those? Do you have insurance/lawyer, for when the family of the guy who tried to rape your daughter wants to sue you because you killed him?

And when I worked at Walmart, I saw at least 2 people every day open carry. That means several more were concealed.

Im still not sure how I feel. I have alot of family who dont approve of open carry. Then again, if most people oc'd, most criminals would back off. Why do you think so many shootings take place in gun free zones?

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!

Last edited by EliteDreams; 12-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #48
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

My newest gripe is with an amazing exercise that's being bastardized continuously. The kettlebell swing. First off, if you've never tried it, try it. Even if you don't have access to kettlebells and have to use a dumbbell or plate. But before you do it, understand just what the hell it is.

There is momentum in weightlifting. It's a part of the game. It's not the devil. It's not even scary. Momentum won't cause your joints to explode, sending strands of sinew all over the old lady on the hip adductor machine (Or is it abductor? Hell, I can never remember.)

When you do a kettlebell swing, the goal is to take the weight back between your legs, while squatting down towards the ground. Then you use every muscle fiber in your body to swing it forwards and up as far as possible. You have to get in a rhythm, and you have to USE momentum to get the weights up.

But people don't. Why?

1. The weights used are WAY too light. If I was to grab a 15lb kettlebell and swing it as hard as possible it would go flying into the air over my head and probably destroy something important like the ab machine (cursing everyone to a future with a flabby belly). Light weights are a good way to get a feel for the movement (like any other lift), but you have to move explosively, and you HAVE to use your whole body to move the weight!

2. They have been taught for years that momentum is bad. If momentum is moving the weight then their muscles aren't and aren't being trained. Bullshit. WHAT CREATED THE MOMENTUM?!?! EH?! You did, with your muscles. When you got to the bottom you allowed the weight to pull you down into an explosive, powerful position. Your posterior chain was stretched, then you used those stretched muscles to bring the weight forwards and up and high as possible. Moving a weight with a stretched muscle = hypertrophy. Moving as much weight as possible with a stretched muscle = more tension = MORE hypertrophy.

In the US most people finish their kettlebell swing with the weight up over their head. If you can get the weight over your head, use more weight. This isn't a front raise. It's a whole body movement. The focus should be on the stretch side of things and not how high you get at the top. The answer is to use a heavy weight and get that fucker as high as possble as many times as possible, and the only way to get it as high as possible is to build momentum explosively from ground up through your legs.

The reason most people suck at swings is because they never go nearly heavy enough. Not only do you need heavier weight to get what you want out of the movement, you also need exposure to heavy weights to FORCE you into the right positions. If your positions are off then it'll all fall apart when you get a reasonable amount of weight in your hand. If you can take a kettlebell, bring it down between your legs and immediately pull it up in front of you, you're not even close. A heavy enough weight will force you to slowly start swinging the weights, and you won't be able to put full force into the movement until you get it moving for a few shorter reps.

If you can't produce force from the bottom, get lower and bend your knees more. If your having trouble getting heavy weight out away from you as you come up, then bend over and get the weights behind you more at the bottom. This is NOT a sumo deadlift. The weight will move sideways as much as it will move up.

If you want to use the swing for conditioning, then back off on the weights. Thats fine, but use some heavier weights sometimes too to make sure your form is perfect. When you back off you'll still use your whole body, but you just won't go all out on each rep. Don't let it turn back into a sumo deadlift with a front raise just beause the weights go down.

Last edited by Soldier; 03-28-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #49
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

By the way, I saw that there are some men in uniform who are protesting a possible confrontation with Russia. They are writing their little gripes and complaints on paper and holding it over their face.

Go fuck yourselves.

You signed a blank check, payable to the United States government, up to and including your life. Yeah, to the people of the US, blah, blah, whatever, but we work for the government. If they start WWIII by being dumb, and I have to go fight and kill for it, then THAT'S WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR. I follow orders. I'm a single small cog in a massive wheel that's going to keep turning no matter what the Hell I think, or even worse, what I FEEL. No one cares what I feel about it. No one cares what you feel about it. You're not allowed to feel.

If anything, by being a whiny little bitch about possibly having to do your job you're making us all look like weak bitches. It just increases the chances of someone thinking they can take us. They can't. They can't take us. A war at this time would suck, both for me personally, for the country, and for the world, but if shit goes down I'm on the right team, and it's a losing proposition for whoever decides to stir the pot. Russia? Hell, I'd be scared if Iran did something. But the only Country that straight up scares the crap out of me is China. Other than that? Bring it.

And Russia knows when they're stirring the pot and when they aren't. If they decide to forcefully invade Ukraine, then they're digging up a hatchet that they need to leave in the ground. Like it or not, the US doesn't like it when you pick on other countries, and we'll kick your ass if we need to.

And if they need me? I may not like it, but for at least the next 3 years this is what I do. I may complain like a baby to my wife, but you won't catch me whining to the world about doing something that I knew was a possibility when I signed my name on the dotted line and raised my right arm.

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #50
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
My newest gripe is with an amazing exercise that's being bastardized continuously. The kettlebell swing. First off, if you've never tried it, try it. Even if you don't have access to kettlebells and have to use a dumbbell or plate. But before you do it, understand just what the hell it is.

There is momentum in weightlifting. It's a part of the game. It's not the devil. It's not even scary. Momentum won't cause your joints to explode, sending strands of sinew all over the old lady on the hip adductor machine (Or is it abductor? Hell, I can never remember.)

When you do a kettlebell swing, the goal is to take the weight back between your legs, while squatting down towards the ground. Then you use every muscle fiber in your body to swing it forwards and up as far as possible. You have to get in a rhythm, and you have to USE momentum to get the weights up.

But people don't. Why?
Your point about going heavy is a good one. Many lifters only tend to go heavy, and use momentum (power), on their pet exercises (curls and bench). Give them a row or kettlebell swing, or whatever, and momentum becomes the enemy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook