Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,108, Level: 40 Points: 4,108, Level: 40 Points: 4,108, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default How Bizarre This Culture Is

Although the goals on this forum are all very different, many of us are here in an effort to get bigger and stronger. Some may be here to lose weight, but it's safe to assume that we all share the goal of becoming more muscular- regardless of where we currently are, age, sex, and daily lives.

Compare this to the norms of America, and probably most of the rest of the world. In the US, people are literally paying to lose weight. No, not a bodybuilder paying for a diet plan from someone like Shelby Starnes, but these infomercials on TV that advertise meal plans that allow you to "still eat chocolate", or pills that work magically to "melt fat away". People are obsessed with getting thinner, yet we still have a crippling percentage of obesity in the US.

Compare that with the strength culture. Most of the guys are skinny, underfed, and weaker than their 82 year old grandma. Then you have guys who are kind of muscular, kind of strong, etc. Then you have guys who are an even higher tier, and then you have the biggest and strongest. Some of the guys in each of the categories are lean as all hell, and others are pushing the limits on their bodyfat. Yet, the body fat carried is often by choice. These guys simply do not lose the fat for reasons of maintaining strength, to continue building strength, and to continue building their muscles.

When I tell people of my goal of being 300 lbs, I usually get a reaction of "WHY ON EARTH?!..." Only once, and that was last week, did I get something that seemed reasonable. I told a girl this while talking briefly about obesity, and she said, "Yeah, but that's muscle. There's a difference. You'll be big and strong." I was nearly speechless to receive that kind of answer. I do not recall ever being given that, especially by a girl who doesn't even set foot in the gym as far as I know. My ex and her family never directly said it, but their response was always an answer implying "Please don't." Others have just rolled their eyes.

On here though? In the strength community? We view body weight as something great and to be desired. We are constantly looking for ways to be bigger and stronger. While we don't desire to resemble fat slobs, we don't mind having extra so long as it means we can add 10 lbs to our squat. We'll lose it when we believe it's time to lose it. Society says abs look good, yet we all think traps look better.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,302, Level: 72 Points: 12,302, Level: 72 Points: 12,302, Level: 72
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,337, Level: 64 Points: 9,337, Level: 64 Points: 9,337, Level: 64
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

"Society says abs look good, yet we all think traps look better."

I love this line!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
GT55
GT55
Wants 900 in 1 yr
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
My Mood: Stressed
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Great topic. People look at me funny when I proudly tell them I've gained 10 kg since starting at the gym. Strength size conditioning, in that order, is my goal. And if I'm not strong, I'm not starting the next step. And yeah, traps look sick.
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
HumanHorrorFilm
HumanHorrorFilm
has no status.
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 7,826, Level: 59 Points: 7,826, Level: 59 Points: 7,826, Level: 59
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

My Mood: Aggressive
HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

Davis, great posting man. Youve been a front runner in my eyes for Member of the Month.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,220, Level: 41 Points: 4,220, Level: 41 Points: 4,220, Level: 41
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

I be dammed if that isn't the best piece of writing I have ever read for lifters. I'm in that category. I'm carrying extra pounds but there is no way I am going to lose any of them. I don't want to be a skinny weak boy.
skids is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
SCStrong
SCStrong
blamed it on the dog
Max Brawn
Points: 3,720, Level: 38 Points: 3,720, Level: 38 Points: 3,720, Level: 38
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Seared Beast
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote : "We'll lose it when we believe it's time to lose it. Society says abs look good, yet we all think traps look better".

Classic !!!!

Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,108, Level: 40 Points: 4,108, Level: 40 Points: 4,108, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I appreciate it, everybody. I'm surprised people like it so well.

@HHH, I really appreciate that, man.

@SKids, I also really appreciate that.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
bigalfry
bigalfry
Contemplating my first competition...
Sasquats
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,361, Level: 42 Points: 4,361, Level: 42 Points: 4,361, Level: 42
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 10
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

I'm gonna take your whole post, put it over an inspirational lifting pic, frame it and mount it on my wall.

Share with Facebook