Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45 Points: 5,033, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member
Default Supple Leopard vs The World

I guess this has been something brewing for a little while..

I know this is a lot to read, but it's very interesting.

Most everyone knows who Kelly Starrett is and that he wrote "How to become a Supple Leopard" The book is filled with tons of info... Now I have learned alot from it, but I have alway though so much of it was just off to me. This all started about the phrase "Push your Knees out" like on squats. There has been alot of injuries and they seem to be coming back to that phrase. Guess what it's mainly coming from the Crossfit crowd..haha

They keep going back and forth about From and Pushing the knees out, but I haven't read it all yet. So far no one has brought up the difference between Weighlifters and Crossfitters way of Squats.. Weighlifters(PL,BB,SM) Are all controlled movements. Slower action then a Crossfitter doing as many as they can for time... Bouncing at the bottom every rep over and over again. Which I could see being an issue very fast. When you do it for Speed... Your muscles are not used as much to stop you at the bottom of the squat. I would think the tendons and ligaments would be strecthed hard as you bottomed out. Causing your Knees, Hip and Back to track weird. Read the last link I posted.

Anyway... You guys can take it how ever.. Give it a read..

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...pard-vs-world/

The Blogs

http://www.takanoathletics.com/blog/?p=3269

http://www.takanoathletics.com/blog/?p=3272

http://www.takanoathletics.com/blog/?p=3276

http://www.takanoathletics.com/blog/?p=3280

http://www.takanoathletics.com/blog/?p=3286

http://www.takanoathletics.com/blog/?p=3289

Also here is another thing to add I found the other day..

Hip Flexibility/ROM Does NOT Increase Functional Strength

http://mobile.journals.lww.com/nsca-...&article=00001

Last edited by Ramrod; 11-18-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn

Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

What I think is that so many Crossfit Cert. trainers (haha) took the Knees out phrase to far. For me I always took it as don't let your knees cave in to much and collasp.

Like this...His knees are collasped and his feet as well...Which is tough to do in Oly shoes. This is when you would stat Knee's out.. Keep your Feet Flat.

Dan Green kind of went over this not to long ago.

Last edited by Ramrod; 11-18-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
JTurner
JTurner
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,106, Level: 55 Points: 7,106, Level: 55 Points: 7,106, Level: 55
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Beach Pong Champion! Pinboliada Champion! Sky Wire Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
My Mood: Cool
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Ye I've read some of it, not had time to get through it all though. This is Kelly Starretts response (I think, again haven't had time to watch).

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2013/11/c...nees-in-squat/

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
notti668
notti668
has no status.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

notti668 is off to a bad start

Not to get too caught up with the details here but I think the take-home point in Mwod's video response is to understand the context where their cue is coming from AND to whom it's addressed to. It was even said aloud a couple of times during their discussion. I'm not saying parts of the critique on Juggernaut's site wouldn't be spot on, especially when Starrett's comment how their methods can fix everyone's problems was addressed, but there's more to Starrett's instructions than just the 'force your knees out' tip, like having a neutral spine/posture, bracing the core/protecting the spine properly and having good mobility in your ankles, for instance. Human body works as a unit so there's no point in getting caught up with just one detail.

Even though I'm a huge Starrett fanboy, as he has helped me a lot with the issues I have had + I've begun to understand more in depth how our bodies work and what aspects need to be addressed when dealing with certain issues, but I always keep my censors up when being introduced to new ideas no matter if those tips come from Supple Leopard -camp or from someone else.
notti668 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,527, Level: 30 Points: 2,527, Level: 30 Points: 2,527, Level: 30
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

Interesting stuff. I have always heard knees out. This is the first time I've heard anyone make an argument other wise.
CODY_SNIDER is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODY_SNIDER View Post
Interesting stuff. I have always heard knees out. This is the first time I've heard anyone make an argument other wise.
I don't think either are really saying Knees out is a bad que. It's the forcing the knees out of there natural tracking. I've read it all now and it's kind of dumb they are basically saying similar things and kind of actually agreeing, but are breaking it down and attacking on the play of words. Many of these So called Crossfit Certified Level 1 tards. Are couching 1000's of people are just learning to Squat and may deadlift too. So the new couch has always heard Knees out, not really know what it meant. This Leeds to 1000's of new trainees being told knees out buy a new couch him self. So now you have new couches couching groups of people that don't know jack about Squating. So they hear Knees out and just repeat it, because it sounds cool now. Yes your Knees need to stay out, but they also need to stay in track with while leg

edit: Was drugged when I typed this up...lol

Last edited by Ramrod; 11-20-2013 at 10:05 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook