Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,235, Level: 28 Points: 2,235, Level: 28 Points: 2,235, Level: 28
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor
Default Incorporating heavy singles in a strength focussed program?

I've been running the same program for quite a while and have been gaining strength & size on it at a good rate using lots of sets of 5 and sets of 8. Down the road I'd like to focus on powerlifting eventually and therefore was wondering if adding heavy singles to my program would be a good idea.

I'm not really suggesting anything reckless. Basically I came up with the idea to, before my rep work, work up to a heavy single (a 'training max' or 'technique max whatever word you prefer) and then doing my rep work after that (possibly lowering the total amount of rep sets to give myself time to accomodate to this).

I thought that this way I could get a little practice in with heavier weights without exhausting myself and heavily impacting the rep work.

To clarify I'd, for example, instead of doing just doing 4*8 on bench, do 1*1 and then 3-4*8.

Give me your thoughts mab.

[edit] now that I reread it the title might be a little misleading. Yes I like to focus on strength but I am not chasing purely strength at the moment, also trying to get big. So lets just call it 'powerbuilding'

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 11-17-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links