Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default F**king Injuries!!

I've been told I have Prepatellar Bursitis. It's driving me crazy that I can't do anything just as my routine was beginning to go so well and smoothly.

I was loving my new regime and now it has to be put on hold just a few weeks in.

Injuries are my worst thing in the world, and when I train so much it drives me NUTS that I can't train!

Really struggling with any movements to be honest with you, but hopefully as of tomorrow I'll be on crutches as my boss is lending me some. Even if it doesn't hurt as much it'll take some pressure off of it to relieve a bit of pain.

Just ranting, and now I'm done!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,322, Level: 35 Points: 3,322, Level: 35 Points: 3,322, Level: 35
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
My Mood: Cheerful
Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast

I hear ya man. At the ripe age of 20, I've had more than my fair share of injuries-some of which severely limited my ability to pursue soccer during my formative years. My best advice to you is to just take it easy for a week and don't do anything that aggravates the injury. A lot of injuries pertaining to inflammation are just acute and only necessitate rest. Beyond that, I'd definitely recommend seeing a doctor and/or physio if that fits in your budget.

Have patience. Use this down time to solidify your motivation and come back with greater determination.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

is it effecting all your joints or specific areas?
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
is getting too old for this shit.
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Injuries happen. While your plans have been derailed at the moment, it is a good time to think. Considering it is a leg injury, you can put in work on the upper body while you rest up.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39 Points: 3,896, Level: 39
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

wrong tread sorry,
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn

JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
I hear ya man. At the ripe age of 20, I've had more than my fair share of injuries-some of which severely limited my ability to pursue soccer during my formative years. My best advice to you is to just take it easy for a week and don't do anything that aggravates the injury. A lot of injuries pertaining to inflammation are just acute and only necessitate rest. Beyond that, I'd definitely recommend seeing a doctor and/or physio if that fits in your budget.

Have patience. Use this down time to solidify your motivation and come back with greater determination.
It's killing me, and it's driving me beyond mental. I'm trying to convince myself that the rest will do me good, but I just feel like a lazy no good waste of space when I'm not doing something to move towards to my dream. I think I'll be off next week (Lower body and basketball anyway) and it's going to drive me freaking crazy!! I'm going to be getting a sports massage soon, so that might release some tension up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
is it effecting all your joints or specific areas?
It was affecting a lot, but now just my knee. It's a stabbing pain and it's horrible now, I can feel the fluid move when I step, really strange feeling! It affects my movement a lot for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Pfisterer View Post
Injuries happen. While your plans have been derailed at the moment, it is a good time to think. Considering it is a leg injury, you can put in work on the upper body while you rest up.

This is true, but my mind doesn't stop and it's driving me crazy! True, I haven't been able to right now because I have been on crutches, but pushing it a bit now and I'm going to be lifting again very soon!!

Thanks for your help guys it's much appreciated! Trying to keep myself sane and it's driving me MAD.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Injuries can be a real pain...I've had several that still affect me today:

Falling 4 feet or so flat on to my back when I was no more than about 4-5 years old; that's what caused the TOS.

A cycling accident (pushbike), full impact taken by the one kneecap, which had me using a walking stick for a year with an inflamed knee (water on the knee) resulting in an unstable kneecap which now does not permit running, skipping, lots of jumping; it can't tolerate that at all.

An ankle/lower leg bad twist, which meant 1 and a half years recovery to walk normally; this occurred after slipping off an aerobic step whilst doing HIIT at height.

Twisting both ankles on getting out of a car, which brought the unstable kneecap to the forefront and having to concentrate on building up the quads to assist in maintaining as stable a knee as possible, with lots of physiotherapy sessions to teach my body how to balance since I'd knocked out all the ankle balance receptors and had to work on brain-balance receptor usage and proprioception etc...however, I can now balance extremely well, which surprises me, since the ankle receptors don't work anymore, according to the physio.

A bad twist to the lower back which resulted in "tearing the ligaments in the lower back" (doc's words) and not being able to feel pretty much anything from the waist down for months.

The lower back took at least 20+ years to settle, although it still plays up. The knee, well, running is out, stepping is still doable. The upperback and TOS are a real pain, daily.

These are just the "major" injuries, minor ones aside.

It's just finding a way around the injury and the problems it has left you with, it may be that the knee injury you have will prevent you from doing one of the things you really enjoy, sadly, this does happen; monitor it and see if anything triggers it, it's the only way to know.

Always give an injury time to heal and then give it a week on top, IMO, it may never be fully healed though, no matter how much time a person gives it.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 11-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Try VooDoo Flossing your knee.

I would go more in depth but I'm on my phone. The flossing will help with the swelling and fuild.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn

I'm sorry to hear that you still have troubles 5k, it's a burden I can share with you! I damaged my MCL a couple of summers back at a trial and when it's really cold it gets affected a little (perks of wearing shorts, aye!?) so I can relate.

This one is almost gone now, but I can't wait to step back on court as I feel like CRAP. I have started my diet this week to get my body used to it in order for when I return to the gym next week. I will be back on two a days but upper body for this week (still some pain in the knee when I kneel, minimal fluid left) and free throws and court work that doesn't involve me leaving the floor. Week after if all is well then I will be back running, but I have invested in some McDavid Hexpad knee sleeves to help reduce the effects of knocking knees of hitting the deck, because I read if you have it once it comes back easier (Oh, the joy!) so hopefully that won't happen (I'm gonna be the every accessory known to a player type of guy soon LOL)!

Voodoo flossing? I've never heard of that but it doesn't sound pleasant lol! I'll get on to google and see!

Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48 Points: 5,574, Level: 48
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 12
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs View Post
Voodoo flossing? I've never heard of that but it doesn't sound pleasant lol! I'll get on to google and see!
It works pretty good for me. I have treated tendonitis in my Shoulder with it and elbow.. Still fighting the elbow here and there thou. I've wrapped a few buddies knees with knee issue that had fluid build up. Worked and worked fast. You can make a band out of Mountain Bike intertube for $5 from wal-mart. Instead of buying the VooDoo flass brand.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook