Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #1051
joshkramer51
joshkramer51
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

joshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good startjoshkramer51 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes, take a rest week. Also, post a video of your bench form when you can. I think I may know what is causing the issue.

For your deload I would use the same sets but only 60% of the weight.
Alright, ill deload this week. Should I post the video of my form when I go back up to my working weight because that's when I might be breaking form or should i just take the video when I deload? And will I be able to upload the video on this forum ?
joshkramer51 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1052
BobbyMac
BobbyMac
must break you
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

For a long time I've based the success or lack thereof of my workouts on muscle soreness (more specifically DOMS). Aside from progressive gains, is DOMS a good indication as to whether or not I worked out to my fullest? For example, if I do a squat workout today and I'm not sore tomorrow I feel like I should have been pushing harder. Is this good logic?
BobbyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #1053
explosivepoultry
explosivepoultry
has no status.
Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2 Points: 138, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

explosivepoultry is new to the forumexplosivepoultry is new to the forum

hi, i was hoping you could give me some advice. i have been stuck on a bench press plateau for over 6 months now, i can get 1 rep of 80kg but no more reps or weight.

i weigh about 73kg and im 18, i have gained both weight and size since i hit this plateau, i have hit pr's in my squat and deadlift in the past couple of weeks, but nothing in my bench press for half a year.

i just finished the macenko bench program using 80kg as my max,
today i tested the reps to see how many more i could get after finishing, still just 1 and no more weight either.

sorry for the long error filled message but i am getting kinda desperate now,

cheers.
explosivepoultry is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #1054
Linguist
Linguist
is wondering
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Linguist is new to the forumLinguist is new to the forum

Hi BBOD
I am an ''intermediate'' beginner, if such a thing exists! I am a busy man, and it is only possible to work out twice a week, not more! Maybe in 2 years from now, I will have more time.
Do you recommend Wendler's 5/3/1 (twice a week routine) or a Reg Park approach?
Also, what do you recommend as per nutrition? I guess, if I don't workout that often, I should eat less- plus, I am not that young anymore? I am 35.
Thank you
Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #1055
Ancrel
Ancrel
is not wanting to take a deload week!
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 months serious!
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk!
My Mood: Lurking
Ancrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributor

Hey Steve,

Recently joined a PL Club and we train :

Monday - Squat then Deads

Tuesday - Bench then Deads

Friday - Deads then Bench

I am being coached with these lifts which i need for my goals of competing, 14th of December is my 1st in Club Christmas meet, then next year i aim to hit 3 to 4 meets.

Anyway i don't ave time to do the assistance work as club is only open for 2 hours , i could go to my other gym after my PL coaching just a 10 min drive or i could train on the days i don't go there.

What would you recommend?
Ancrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #1056
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkramer51 View Post
Alright, ill deload this week. Should I post the video of my form when I go back up to my working weight because that's when I might be breaking form or should i just take the video when I deload? And will I be able to upload the video on this forum ?
You will want to record when you are using a normal weight.

Upload the video via Youtube. You can set it to unlisted so only me and you can see it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #1057
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
For a long time I've based the success or lack thereof of my workouts on muscle soreness (more specifically DOMS). Aside from progressive gains, is DOMS a good indication as to whether or not I worked out to my fullest? For example, if I do a squat workout today and I'm not sore tomorrow I feel like I should have been pushing harder. Is this good logic?
There is research that indicates that DOMS may not be muscle soreness at all, but rather connective tissue soreness.

Either way, it is not a good indicator of growth. I've been lifting for 28 years and certain muscle groups never get sore. Quads and shoulders for example. They are still big though, especially the quads.

Train for progress, not pain. If soreness happens, it happens. It means little though.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #1058
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivepoultry View Post
hi, i was hoping you could give me some advice. i have been stuck on a bench press plateau for over 6 months now, i can get 1 rep of 80kg but no more reps or weight.

i weigh about 73kg and im 18, i have gained both weight and size since i hit this plateau, i have hit pr's in my squat and deadlift in the past couple of weeks, but nothing in my bench press for half a year.

i just finished the macenko bench program using 80kg as my max,
today i tested the reps to see how many more i could get after finishing, still just 1 and no more weight either.

sorry for the long error filled message but i am getting kinda desperate now,

cheers.
Welcome to the forum Poultry.

First off, no more max training. There are several things I recommend...

1) An upper lower split so you are working bench twice a week. (Like Macenko, but year round)
2) Getting the back, triceps and shoulders as strong as possible. Your barbell rows need to be as strong as your bench. You also need consistent heavy overhead pressing, along with 2 types of triceps work: an extension and a press (like close grips).
3) No more specialty programs. You need rep work week in and week out right now, not low rep sets.

The best thing you can do for long term strength is spend the next 2 years building as much muscle as possible, and getting every body part as strong as possible.

If you do this, and back it with plenty of food, in 2 years I bet you'll be benching over 300 pounds.

Lastly, understand that your bench is very good for your weight. Gains will be slow from here on out so be patient. Adding muscle is your best friend right now, and this will take a good quality 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #1059
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist View Post
Hi BBOD
I am an ''intermediate'' beginner, if such a thing exists! I am a busy man, and it is only possible to work out twice a week, not more! Maybe in 2 years from now, I will have more time.
Do you recommend Wendler's 5/3/1 (twice a week routine) or a Reg Park approach?
Also, what do you recommend as per nutrition? I guess, if I don't workout that often, I should eat less- plus, I am not that young anymore? I am 35.
Thank you
I recommend the Christy routine. It is by far and away your best option. It has a long track record of success.

Here it is, let me know if you have any questions:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...31&postcount=4

As far as nutrition, what is your height, weight and end goal?

Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #1060
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancrel View Post
Hey Steve,

Recently joined a PL Club and we train :

Monday - Squat then Deads

Tuesday - Bench then Deads

Friday - Deads then Bench

I am being coached with these lifts which i need for my goals of competing, 14th of December is my 1st in Club Christmas meet, then next year i aim to hit 3 to 4 meets.

Anyway i don't ave time to do the assistance work as club is only open for 2 hours , i could go to my other gym after my PL coaching just a 10 min drive or i could train on the days i don't go there.

What would you recommend?
I don't recommend assistance work on off days. Not worth the risk as it's usually more rep work.

I would either do it after at another gym or cut it down dramatically and do it at the current gym. A little assistance work can go a long way if you are pushing for progression.

Share with Facebook