Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor
Default Calisthenics? The cheapest workout?

I would like all of your opinions on this. Does calisthenics build muscle and strength when done properly?
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
I would like all of your opinions on this. Does calisthenics build muscle and strength when done properly?

I know some strong kickboxers who use this as their strength training, these guys are strong, and very lean. but not jacked.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Most of the exercises would be perfect for muscle building, more so for those that had not done weights before, since most of them, once you look at them, are only weightless versions of a squat, Bulgarian/split squat, a bench press upside down (press-up), incline/decline press-ups, then the triceps work against the bench is similar in movement to the triceps extension but with bodyweight.

So, yes, it can and does work, it's ideal if people can't get to a gym or just want to maintain basic strength and not progress to massive loads, for the latter a gym and/or weights would be required. That said, I have seen a guy that increased his one arm jerk with handstand push-ups etc and never touched a weight for a number of weeks but still managed to set a PR when he did the jerk.

If you know what you're using them for and how to effectively use them, they work, but they will have their limits as well.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
MadMonk
MadMonk
Used to be sane.
Brawn
Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: None
My Mood: Twisted
MadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributor

I did thai boxing for about 4 yr, we used to do some crazy shit using only our bodies, really brutal, makes me feel sick just thinking about it haha, it certainly helped build explosive strength but i wasnt eating nowhere near enough to build muscle at the time, if i was then maybe i would have gained muscle?, i dont know, i know it was no substitute for iron though. I fought at 180lb and im now 215ish, that weight gain has came from eating like a horse and lifting heavy.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
SCStrong
SCStrong
scares Batman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I am of the opinion that they can build strength and enddurance - not really convinced on the mass / size.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I believe they can.

Hannibal for king only really does calisthenics and look at him.

As long as you have resistance that you can progressively make harder, I think you can most certainly build muscle.

I guess its finding more and more resistance as you progress that can be the problem, but it can be done.

There will be more ways to progress than you think.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Fergus
Fergus
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,485, Level: 21 Points: 1,485, Level: 21 Points: 1,485, Level: 21
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 years.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Happy
Fergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributorFergus is a consistent contributor

2 years ago I did armstrong pull up program for a few months along with normal rugby training. Got my max pull ups well over 20. And ive to say I put on a load of weight and size for the couple of months I did it.
But ive seen the light now and only do bodyweight workouts if ive no other choice!!
Fergus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook