Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Kroy
Kroy
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 850, Level: 15 Points: 850, Level: 15 Points: 850, Level: 15
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 6 yrs in 90's, 3 yrs now
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: iron
My Mood: Blah
Kroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributor
Default I now bench more than I squat cause of my shoulders!

I'd appreciate any help here from anyone who's experienced a similar problem. In the last few weeks i have been hitting all sorts of PR's on my bench including paused raw lifts in the mid to high 400's and even hit a 545lbs. sling shot PR. But as my bench goes up, my shoulder and pec mobility are getting so bad I can no longer get under a squat bar, and have been limited to Manta Ray squats only. If I do force myself, my biceps and shoulder hurt real bad the next time I bench. I've tried some basic stretching but nothing seems to help. I know that mobility work is probably what I need, but since I hate doing that stuff, I'd only like to commit to something that a fellow powerlifter could recommend, since I dont want to waste my time on some crap I read on the internet. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Kroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I had this problem for a year. I had to get a buffalo bar to take the pressure off. My shoulders killed me because of my bulk. The buffalo bar made all the difference in the world.

It is wider and has a curve:

You can get one for $220 here:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/splbars1.html

I tried everything. Nothing else worked. People will tell you to stretch, but at some point that doesn't work because of your sheer bulk and/or age.

I don't think it's flexibility or mobility at all for most guys that have this issue. My back, traps and shoulders are big, and along with the extra fat, it pushes the bar back and kills my shoulders. There is such a thing as being too musclebound or fat bound for certain exercises.

Take your grip wide, and get this bar if you can. It is the best solution. I now only squat with a straight bar at meets. All the other doo dads and top squats don't work well for heavy lifters.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-06-2013 at 10:25 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Cutty
Cutty
beastmode
Max Brawn
Points: 5,427, Level: 47 Points: 5,427, Level: 47 Points: 5,427, Level: 47
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
My Mood: Inspired
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Getting a buffalo bar like Bendthebar will give you a longer bar to get your hands on and it's curved slightly, so your shoulders don't get so far back.

I have really really tight pecs and shoulders too and I have to use a bar that part of the bar won't spin and I have to touch the plates.

I have a long piece of PCV pipe I keep using to help stretch, I'll sit here on the computer and just hold it and stretch. I haven't done it enough regularly to tell a huge difference but it isn't AS bad.

Good luck.

Link to log

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512

Passion without discipline is just a dream. - Steve Shaw

Sometimes you make your own pull by pushing forward. - Steve Shaw
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
CountryFriedMuscle
CountryFriedMuscle
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,499, Level: 21 Points: 1,499, Level: 21 Points: 1,499, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: SQUAT
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

When this happens to me, I find that taking a lacrosse or baseball to my pecs and lats helps to open things back up. Basically mash up and stretch your internal rotators; I won't guarantee it, but I don't think it will hurt.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,270, Level: 100 Points: 33,270, Level: 100 Points: 33,270, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Not an expert but I think Donnie Thompson has some good info and advice on this matter on his youtube page.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Not an expert but I think Donnie Thompson has some good info and advice on this matter on his youtube page.
This is what I was about to say. If you cant take advice from one of the best powerlifters of all time, not sure who you would

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

Last edited by J_Byrd; 11-07-2013 at 07:25 AM.
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Kroy
Kroy
has no status.
Brawn

Kroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributorKroy is a consistent contributor

[QUOTE=BendtheBar;424298]I had this problem for a year. I had to get a buffalo bar to take the pressure off. My shoulders killed me because of my bulk. The buffalo bar made all the difference in the world.

First off, thanks to everyone for their responses. This forum is incredible, and I wish I had found this 2 years ago when I started training again.
In regards to the Buffalo I have 2 questions:
When I realized that I was going to have to go extra wide grip on the squat, I begged my gym to order me a long squat bar from EliteFTS, which they did. But we only have a slanted squat rack and not a power rack, (which im not sure makes a difference) but when I get under the bar and get my hands wide, my arms get caught under the pegs and I cant lift off. So my question is do you think I'd have the same problem with the Buffalo bar? (And of course now my gym will give me a hard time about ordering something else, so i'll have to buy it and sneak it in. Which wont be the first time.)
The second question is, did you have a hard time in the beginning getting your B. Bar squats to transfer to your regular squats? I had worked up to mid 600 Manta Ray squats, (which I always thought were harder than regs.) and then the first time I went back to regular bar, I struggled with 405, which caused me depression and cost me a lot of money in ice cream for a week.

On a similar note to the Manta Ray issue, I've had a lot of experience with "big 3" variations, not carrying over too well in the past, which I feel is a result of misusing and misunderstanding the Westside conjugate principals, especially with beginners and intermediates. I learned my lessons the hard way, but continually see guys making the same mistakes. Im new here so im not sure if this has been addressed before, and don't want to be redundant.
I hope Im not being too long winded, but I could talk/write about powerlifting all day. Thanks again.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Kroy
Kroy
has no status.
Brawn

[QUOTE=J_Byrd;424386]This is what I was about to say. If you cant take advice from one of the best powerlifters of all time, not sure who you would

Yeah, but he squats high, and only hits big numbers cause of his gear!

(Im joking, im making fun of all the youtube a-holes that talk crap about one of the greatest lifters of all time)

Thanks. Great video. Im gonna order some bands ASAP.

Last edited by Kroy; 11-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,063, Level: 96 Points: 26,063, Level: 96 Points: 26,063, Level: 96
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
This is what I was about to say. If you cant take advice from one of the best powerlifters of all time, not sure who you would

Great stuff JB, and he is fun to watch to boot. The other thing i loved about the video was there was not a single car seat in the entire video.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
getripped95
getripped95
has no status.
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: Serious Mass
My Mood: Yeehaw
getripped95 is new to the forumgetripped95 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I'd appreciate any help here from anyone who's experienced a similar problem. In the last few weeks i have been hitting all sorts of PR's on my bench including paused raw lifts in the mid to high 400's and even hit a 545lbs. sling shot PR. But as my bench goes up, my shoulder and pec mobility are getting so bad I can no longer get under a squat bar, and have been limited to Manta Ray squats only. If I do force myself, my biceps and shoulder hurt real bad the next time I bench. I've tried some basic stretching but nothing seems to help. I know that mobility work is probably what I need, but since I hate doing that stuff, I'd only like to commit to something that a fellow powerlifter could recommend, since I dont want to waste my time on some crap I read on the internet. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Try having a massage because when you are off to lifting much heavier weights, your tissues need to be opened and more flexible to be able to support the weight you are lifting. So I suggest you to take a massage and then have a steam bath, that is just an add-on and doesn't have any notable benefits. Start meditating because this helps in the overall flow of energy in your body. You might have noticed that the most common thing amongst all the bodybuilding/powerlifters is that they meditate. So, that's the secret to getting more energy.

I know these suggestions might seem foolish but give it a shot and thank me later.
getripped95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook