Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,113, Level: 50 Points: 6,113, Level: 50 Points: 6,113, Level: 50
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Mellow
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member
Default Intermediate Program Critique

Hey guys, I want to give a shot at writing my own program now that I consider myself "intermediate". I've made good gains on a 5x5 and 531 but I want to take those concepts and apply them to be optimal to myself.

I respect the opinions that I receive on this website, any feedback on this is appreciated.

My goal is to get over 190lbs. I started out at 135-140 and now am 182. Nutrition wise I eat 3700-3800 calories a day. After a big first year I'm going up around 1.5-2lbs a month, which I think is good.

A couple of things I considered:
- I have time to get 3 good workouts in a week lifting. When I trained 4 days I was rushed sometimes by life things.
- I like periodization. Rotating weeks of high/medium/low reps definitely spoke to my body.
- I wanted a clear form of progression in the program.
- Focus on the compounds (squat, deadlift, bench, press)
- Don't go crazy on assistance. I want to the correct rep work in, but having 4-6 assistance exercises felt like too much for me.

Week 1

Day 1:
- Squats 3x8x65% 1RM
- Assistance: Leg Curl 3x10; GHR 3x10

Day 2
- Bench 3x8x65% 1RM
- Assistance: Barbell Rows 3x8; CGBP 3x8

Day 3
- Deadlift 3x8x65% 1RM
- Press 3x8x65% 1RM
- Assistance: Good Morning 3x8, Shrugs 3x8, Dips 3x10, Pull Ups

Week 2:

Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press go to 5x5x75% 1RM
Assistance stays the same.

Week 3:

Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press go to 5x3x90% 1RM
Assistance stays the same.

Progression:

If I complete the required reps for the compounds I bump them up by 5lbs on upper body and 10lbs on lower body.

If I do not complete the required reps I keep the weight the same and fight for more reps. If 2 weeks pass by and the reps have not stalled I bump down by 1RM and reset.

Questions:

I feel like I can handle the volume on the compounds, but maybe I need to adjust the %'s?

Is there something I have completely missed? I'm not perfect.
jiorio95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
KCStrongmanben
KCStrongmanben
Strongering
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Pizza
My Mood: Daring
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

My only thought is the jumps between weeks seem a little large. I would start lower and build from there going up 2.5-5% per week.

Secondly the Cube does a pretty good job of waving intensity an volume without having to develop your own system

Are you looking to compete or simply gain size?

And lastly I always like to err on the side of light when developing percentage based programs. What I mean is like Wendler and others propose start at 90% of your max and make that your training max that you base your percentage on. You an always go up and if you're not interested in training to failure never stall throughout the program.

I'm making a lot of assumptions since the only goal I know of yours is body weight based. So take this with a grain of salt
Muscle and Brawn
All American EFX Rep

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX
and they are my own.

KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn

jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStrongmanben View Post
My only thought is the jumps between weeks seem a little large. I would start lower and build from there going up 2.5-5% per week.

Secondly the Cube does a pretty good job of waving intensity an volume without having to develop your own system

Are you looking to compete or simply gain size?

And lastly I always like to err on the side of light when developing percentage based programs. What I mean is like Wendler and others propose start at 90% of your max and make that your training max that you base your percentage on. You an always go up and if you're not interested in training to failure never stall throughout the program.

I'm making a lot of assumptions since the only goal I know of yours is body weight based. So take this with a grain of salt
Thanks for taking a look at this, it's appreciated.

I will have to check out The Cube method, I'm not familiar with it.

I am looking to gain size, but I do compete for fun.

Your point about % at 1RM is spot on. I didn't clarify that I was borrowing from Wendler's 95% of your actual 1RM as a working max.

You gave me some great ideas to think about.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,538,831, Level: 100 Points: 1,538,831, Level: 100 Points: 1,538,831, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Only thing I would add is that you might want to tame the deadlift volume.

--Deadlift 3x5x65% 1RM
--Deadlift 3x3x75% 1RM
--Deadlift 3x1x90% 1RM

You also never want to do that many reps at 90%. Periodization should involve a decreasing of volume and in increasing of intensity.

Check out the Prilepin table:

PRILEPIN'S TABLE

Percent..............Reps per Set.......Optimal.......Total Range

70 and below ............3-6 ................24 .................18-30
70-80 .......................3-6 ................18 .................12-24
80-89 .......................2-4 ................15 .................10-20
90+ ..........................1-2 .................7 ..................4-10

I believe both Louie Simmons and Dave Tate have commented that many of the injuries they have seen have come from pushing for too many reps on the 90% work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn

Thanks, BTB. Huge help right there.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 21,123, Level: 91 Points: 21,123, Level: 91 Points: 21,123, Level: 91
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

BTB hit it on the head. 90% for that many reps is not safe or really going to be a real 90%. I think you have good ideas though.

For the risk of sounding like an ass, you should check out my ebook. It fits what you are looking for. Take it, manipulate it to what you like.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
KCStrongmanben
KCStrongmanben
Strongering
TEAM MAB
Max Brawn
Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35 Points: 3,270, Level: 35
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Pizza
My Mood: Daring
KCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributorKCStrongmanben is a dedicated contributor

^^^^this guy :rollseyes lol just kidding JB
Muscle and Brawn
All American EFX Rep

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX
and they are my own.

KCStrongmanben is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
CountryFriedMuscle
CountryFriedMuscle
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,751, Level: 24 Points: 1,751, Level: 24 Points: 1,751, Level: 24
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

I agree with KCS, the jump from week 2 to 3 is huge. I would also do a bit more back work than you have in there, but that might just be personal preference.

I also agree that if you are looking to use something that cycles intensities like that, the Cube is a great option. I just finished two consecutive cycles of it before I went to a westside inspired split at my training partner's insistence. On the Cube I hit PR's consistently for every lift and definitely knew I was getting stronger. If I try the westside approach and am underwhelmed, you can bet money I will be returning to the Cube.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn

Thanks for taking the time guys. Going to take a look at everything this weekend... and JB's book.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I followed BIG for one cycle. Started it just after my first meet where my total was 700 lbs. After the 1 cycle, my next meet I hit 788 lbs....an increase of 88 lbs.

I ran another cycle after my second meet, next meet (2 weeks ago) I totaled 822 lbs, 34 lb increase.

122 lbs total in 2 cycles...I HIGHLY recommend it

(Ok JB, I did my part, send me the $20.00)

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook