Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1½ yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

When I was talking about form breaking down on the main lifts, I was talking mainly about the guys always squatting 125 lbs, always insisting on going ATG, form looking great but they never increase the weight. It boggles my mind why. Of course good form means better leverages, and I always strive to improve my squat every single session. I think of new cues I could think about to improve my positioning. But if you never break down at all, then you're not really trying in my opinion. Also if you never miss a lift, same thing.

Then there are some people that insist on the bar speed always being fast. I get that you may want explosiveness etc. but you can't progress very far if you only go up to the weight you can still do explosively. Note, I'm still pretty inexperienced so I don't want to offend anyone in case I'm wrong about this.

On isolation movements such as the barbell curl I simply can't progress without cheating. Even if I only add 1.25 kg on the bar each time, it's such a big percentage of the weight that I'm using for curls that the increase is too much for my biceps to handle. When I add some speed to my curls I can use a little heavier weight and progress using the 1.25 kg increases no problem. Think of it like the push press - isn't that basically a cheating version of the normal overhead press?

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 11-05-2013 at 08:03 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
When I was talking about form breaking down on the main lifts, I was talking mainly about the guys always squatting 125 lbs, always insisting on going ATG, form looking great but they never increase the weight. It boggles my mind why. Of course good form means better leverages, and I always strive to improve my squat every single session. I think of new cues I could think about to improve my positioning. But if you never break down at all, then you're not really trying in my opinion. Also if you never miss a lift, same thing.

Then there are some people that insist on the bar speed always being fast. I get that you may want explosiveness etc. but you can't progress very far if you only go up to the weight you can still do explosively. Note, I'm still pretty inexperienced so I don't want to offend anyone in case I'm wrong about this.

On isolation movements such as the barbell curl I simply can't progress without cheating. Even if I only add 1.25 kg on the bar each time, it's such a big percentage of the weight that I'm using for curls that the increase is too much for my biceps to handle. When I add some speed to my curls I can use a little heavier weight and progress using the 1.25 kg increases no problem. Think of it like the push press - isn't that basically a cheating version of the normal overhead press?
There is a fine line when it comes to progress on the big lifts. You're absolutely right, you have to push yourself to get that 5lb PR or to get that extra rep, but you also have to feel it out, especially as the weights get heavier. If I have a day where I feel good then it's time for a new PR, but that day may only come once a month. I also have days where I just don't feel that great, and these days I keep the weights lower but focus on both form and moving explosively. If you keep form good and move fast you're stimulating the CNS without really tiring it out, but doing that alone won't really train the CNS to fire as many motor units as absolutely possible. To do that you have to go heavy and get your PR's in. It's also extremely important to go heavy so that your form will break down as little as possible. When you've got a weight crushing you it's really hard to fall back on the fundamentals like good breathing. This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I haven't been doing much maximal strength work, and when I tried to go heavy on a squat I should have been able to get my breathing and my technique both completely fell apart and I got absolutely barried.

But avoiding failure is also important. Steve has talked on this a lot. I believe he said he's only failed like 2 lifts in however many years. But avoiding failure isn't about avoiding form breakdown or being scared of heavy weight. It's more about being able to successfully asses how you're feeling and what you're capable of (VERY important for a competing lifter), as well as instilling confidence. If you get used to feeling that you can complete the lift then you're actually training your mind to believe in yourself, if that makes sense.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #23
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1½ yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
But avoiding failure is also important. Steve has talked on this a lot. I believe he said he's only failed like 2 lifts in however many years. But avoiding failure isn't about avoiding form breakdown or being scared of heavy weight. It's more about being able to successfully asses how you're feeling and what you're capable of (VERY important for a competing lifter), as well as instilling confidence. If you get used to feeling that you can complete the lift then you're actually training your mind to believe in yourself, if that makes sense.
That's an interesting thing. Maybe I need to explain a little where I'm coming from. Often times I can't really feel my strength and to me doing 5x5 or even 3x8 feels like I'm always about to fail on the last rep of every set. But even when I don't think I can make it, I go for the last rep, and 99% of the time I can get it. If I wasn't so persistent to get to those rep goals, I wouldn't have progressed nearly as fast, even if it leads to failure on occasion. I believe that things will change to the direction you're talking about when I gain more experience and get a better grasp of my capabilities and how my body feels.

I think for the novice lifter failure will happen more often because of this reason, and if it never does, I don't think they are pushing their capabilities as much as they could.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 11-06-2013 at 06:33 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 18,973, Level: 87 Points: 18,973, Level: 87 Points: 18,973, Level: 87
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

I will cheat a few reps at the end in just about everything except bench, squat, or deads. Sometimes on deads I will keep pulling even if I have an unintentional hitch. I am here to get stronger, not hang with the form police.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

It's kind of simple really: if you feel like you're going to take a trip to snap city on the final rep and things start to hurt that shouldn't, end the set.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook