Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Jerry Brainum
Jerry Brainum
has no status.
New Brawn

Jerry Brainum is off to a bad start
Default Single versus multiple sets: which is best for increasing muscle size?

Traditional bodybuilding training involves using several exercises with multiple sets to increase muscular size and strength. The majority of successful bodybuilding champions, both past and present, trained in this manner. On the other hand, some consider the usual style of bodybuilding training gross overtraining. This group is known as the “HIT” or high intensity advocates. [...]

More...
Jerry Brainum is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A recent meta-analysis looked at this very question: which works better to increase muscle size: single sets or multiple sets? A meta-analysis involves looking at previous studies and coming to a conclusion based on the trends shown by past studies. The new analysis compared various set schemes, ranging from one set to six or more sets per exercise.The major finding of the analysis was that multiple sets produce a significantly greater level of muscle size gains compared to doing only a single set per exercise. This held true for both novice and more experienced subjects.There was a also a trend shown in which increased number of sets produced greater muscle gains. Thus, 4 to 6 sets per exercise produced better results compared to doing 2 to 3 sets per exercise. The effect levels off, however, when doing more than 4 sets per exercise. In other words, doing 6 sets rather than 4 wonít produce significantly better muscle gains. I doubt that all the studies analyzed included a true HIT style of training to utter failure. If that had been the case, I believe that the ideal number of sets would be no more than three. Doing one set per exercise is certainly better than nothing, but considering that most of those who think they are using a true HIT style of training are not, then the conclusions of this analysis make sense. Most bodybuilders would be better off doing multiple sets per exercise if added muscle size is their goal.

Krieger JW. Single vs.multiple sets of resistance exercise for muscle hypertrophy: a meta-analysis.J Strength Cond Res 2010: in press.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

one problem i have with HIT is that it requires a very specific mentality to work, i've known and seen people claim failure when they still had another rep or two, and without the drive to push through the pain hit wont work well at all, also due to the multiple variables that may be present in each of the studies it could be flawed
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

HIT is very difficult to execute. I have a hard time reaching failure on certain exercises.

And studies...well...they are often performed on machines only with newbs at the helm. Researchers don't like scary free weights.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
HIT is very difficult to execute. I have a hard time reaching failure on certain exercises.

And studies...well...they are often performed on machines only with newbs at the helm. Researchers don't like scary free weights.
you have that, and also other variables, like diet, tut, reps per set, frequency, and what not that makes it harder to get a good consensus, also not to mention what was the progression schemes

No Bullshit no problems

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
jhuse2
jhuse2
has no status.
Big Tex
Max Brawn
Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30

My Mood: Happy
jhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good posts

So the HIT Routine works best if you work to absolute failure. So you have 4 sets and each set in worked until failure then a rest the another set to failure. Is this right?
DEAD LIFTS: . . . . . . . .255/300/435
OVERHEAD PRESS: . . . . 110/135/170

Transformation Contest BULK
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...test-bulk.html
Workout Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ngth-form.html
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~
jhuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuse2 View Post
So the HIT Routine works best if you work to absolute failure. So you have 4 sets and each set in worked until failure then a rest the another set to failure. Is this right?
no HIT is a single set to failure, and thats it you warm up and go for broke

No Bullshit no problems

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
jhuse2
jhuse2
has no status.
Big Tex
Max Brawn

jhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
no HIT is a single set to failure, and thats it you warm up and go for broke
No warm up. One set until you fail. There as to be a minimum number of sets. I mean I could be doing a 1 rep max day. I hit my 1 rep max on all my major lifts and that technically is a HIT routine. I don't see how something like that could be very effective.

Workout Log
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuse2 View Post
No warm up. One set until you fail. There as to be a minimum number of sets. I mean I could be doing a 1 rep max day. I hit my 1 rep max on all my major lifts and that technically is a HIT routine. I don't see how something like that could be very effective.
you do warm up, but then like i said you have one workset and you just go for broke, but i dont recommend it unless you have a really good spotter, when i did it, i did forced reps or negatives almost everytime and went until i pretty much couldn't lift the weight at all

No Bullshit no problems

Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
jhuse2
jhuse2
has no status.
Big Tex
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
you do warm up, but then like i said you have one workset and you just go for broke, but i dont recommend it unless you have a really good spotter, when i did it, i did forced reps or negatives almost everytime and went until i pretty much couldn't lift the weight at all
okay I see now. I can see how hard it would be to have a routine like this. I would have to do this on a friday a give my body time to heal over the weekend so that it didn't effect the rest of my workout.

Workout Log
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~

Share with Facebook