Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default Dumbbells vs Barbells

I love Barbells. I'm not a big fan of dumbbell movements too much, however I feel I should be adding them in more.

Now my question is this, what are the benefits of DB Bench over BB Bench?

I find BB Bench quite uncomfortable when I get to heavy loads. Not uncomfortable because of the weight, but I have long arms and it just feels uncomfortable sometimes (Not all the time). I have focused on my form a lot and changed that, but I just prefer lifting with DB's.

Pro's and con's to each? Your experiences?

Thanks guys!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
jiorio95
jiorio95
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,805, Level: 49 Points: 5,805, Level: 49 Points: 5,805, Level: 49
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Mellow
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

Personally, I'm a barbell guy. I used to use dumbbells for everything but progression and growth were slow, got turned on to barbells and progression and growth are constantly improving.

Just my experience, the pro's to barbells are more weight and more muscles used. Because of that I can always get 5-10 more lbs out of my compounds on a consistent basis.

Whenever I use dumbbells it's to hit a specific area, but I'm not a bodybuilder nor a guy who is large enough to have specific areas that are lagging, so I don't use them too often.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I prefer to do a percentage of DB presses within any press set-up purely because they target more stabilisers than the barbell work does.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,516, Level: 73 Points: 12,516, Level: 73 Points: 12,516, Level: 73
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

What are your goals? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumbell benching.

You may just keep playing around with your barbell form, grip width, where you touch etc.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 17,092, Level: 83 Points: 17,092, Level: 83 Points: 17,092, Level: 83
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

BBs here. I feel that you are limited in progression at some point with DBs.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
CountryFriedMuscle
CountryFriedMuscle
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,628, Level: 23 Points: 1,628, Level: 23 Points: 1,628, Level: 23
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Exercise: SQUAT
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

As EltieDreams said, a lot of this depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter, you are going to have to use the barbell at some point. However, if you are more interested in aestetics or general strength, then there is no real need to do the barbell bench press. Lots of old school bodybuilders and olympic lifters didn't do very many bench presses and were bull strong and looked good. Its all about what your goals are.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74 Points: 13,042, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Lurking
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

BBs for pure strength

DBs for "lighter" assistance, stabilizers, better ROM, unilateral training

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Dray
Dray
is healing up :/
Max Brawn
Points: 9,843, Level: 66 Points: 9,843, Level: 66 Points: 9,843, Level: 66
Activity: 82% Activity: 82% Activity: 82%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I like doing both, for the time being anyway. Of course, there will come a time when I run out of dumbells, and this would be inevitable for most lifters I guess.

They "feel" different, and it seems to me DB bench works more chest, or works it differently, or something.

My new training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,516, Level: 73 Points: 12,516, Level: 73 Points: 12,516, Level: 73
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Great point. Hard to get big dumbells in place when your as strong as Gasp.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorio95 View Post
Personally, I'm a barbell guy. I used to use dumbbells for everything but progression and growth were slow, got turned on to barbells and progression and growth are constantly improving.

Just my experience, the pro's to barbells are more weight and more muscles used. Because of that I can always get 5-10 more lbs out of my compounds on a consistent basis.

Whenever I use dumbbells it's to hit a specific area, but I'm not a bodybuilder nor a guy who is large enough to have specific areas that are lagging, so I don't use them too often.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.
I prefer Barbells for exercises, and while I do enjoy the barbell bench I find it uncomfortable and awkward for my body, however with Dumbbells I don't, plus it feels like something is actually working.

Do you really think there are more muscles used on Barbells? I would have thought the other way around, I always find my muscles being more taxed by DB's but my CNS being taxed more by the Barbells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I prefer to do a percentage of DB presses within any press set-up purely because they target more stabilisers than the barbell work does.
Yeah I'm really preffering having them in my program instead of doing a Barbell press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
What are your goals? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumbell benching.

You may just keep playing around with your barbell form, grip width, where you touch etc.
Goals are just to get stronger generally. I want to get stronger and put on some size. Barbell has been useful and I've made gains with it, but unfortunately I just find it uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Yeah I see your point, but I think when I get to that point I'll go back to BB and see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFriedMuscle View Post
As EltieDreams said, a lot of this depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter, you are going to have to use the barbell at some point. However, if you are more interested in aestetics or general strength, then there is no real need to do the barbell bench press. Lots of old school bodybuilders and olympic lifters didn't do very many bench presses and were bull strong and looked good. Its all about what your goals are.
Never want to be a powerlifter buddy (At least not for the foreseeable future) as basketball is the goal. General strength I guess would be the classification with some strong aesthetics (Not BB aesthetics, but strength training aesthetic but i know that will come with strength gain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
BBs for pure strength

DBs for "lighter" assistance, stabilizers, better ROM, unilateral training
Sounds like your DB benefits are better for your overall gains from what you have said! I realise you can push more weight with BB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
I like doing both, for the time being anyway. Of course, there will come a time when I run out of dumbells, and this would be inevitable for most lifters I guess.

They "feel" different, and it seems to me DB bench works more chest, or works it differently, or something.
I do enjoy both, but as I've said already it's a bit uncomfortable for me when I start pushing more weight. It's not uncomfortable in the way that it is because I'm pushing myself, but it's uncomfortable because I've long arms and they feel uncomfortable when at the bottom of the lift. I think I'm going to stick with DB's until I can't lift them without a challenge anymore, which I'm going to assume will take a little while!

I know what you mean about it working differently, I feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Great point. Hard to get big dumbells in place when your as strong as Gasp.
I want to get to those massive dumbbells lol!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook