Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default Program Building help

Hey guys! I know I've been MIA recently, and it's annoying but I have been lurking just not had much time to post anything substantial, so haven't bothered.

Anyway, I recently switched to more hypertrophy based work but still using compound exercises, now I'm enjoying it after a few weeks of getting used to it, but now I want to start looking at my plan, which is going back to my old one.

The old one was 5 days a week, and the new will be 5 or 6 I think.

Old had seperate days for the following (Including basketball 6-7 days a week) (not neccessarily on that day, but this is for the sake of the example)

Monday - Front Squats, Romanians
Tuesday - Speed Squats, Speed DL, Hang Clean to Push Press
Wednesday - Deadlifts, OH Press, Pull Ups
Friday - Speed Squats, Deadlifts, Hang Clean to Push Press
Saturday - Bench Press, CGBP, Barbell Row, Dips

I enjoyed this, but I think it created some muscle imbalances in my body and kind of messed me up a bit as I've been suffering with EXTREMELY tight hips and I'm finally starting to loosen them, but that did result in me getting back pain, so a lot of my plan stopped and switched to Hypertrophy so I at least wasn't away from the gym.

Now i'm seeing progress with hypertrophy and am going to put an assistant exercise or two in my workouts from here on out, but I was just wondering how you guys would go about building a plan that was 3 days strength, with 2 days explosive work.

HI'm keeping the hang Clean to Push Press as I've seen amazing results with it. This whole plan gave me amazing athletic results, but I want to go back to it without causing imbalances. Any suggestions at all?

I'm writing it as we speak and will spend a couple of weeks on it to get it perfect, including my diet, supplementation etc.

Just wondered how you guys would go about constructing the program? I have some ideas and thoughts but I just wanted your $0.02.

I hope everybody is well, and I miss you all!

THanks guys!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

How have you been recovering on this split? Where do you feel your imbalance is?
CODY_SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn

JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODY_SNIDER View Post
How have you been recovering on this split? Where do you feel your imbalance is?
Pretty well to be honest! I was tired and such but that is from 3 workouts a day, I'm bound to be tired!

I feel like my quads are lagging a bit in comparison to the back of my body (In fact quite a bit of the the front of my body lags IMO, but I'm working on that right now)

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I will suggest that if you have not done so, that you go read the Casey Butt articles on programming. TON of useful info.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn

CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

If it were me I would try to get more specific each day. Nothing wrong with your plan but I don't see how you have any legs left to play ball. Look at something like this

M: squats rotate front/highbar, speed deadlifts, Romanians.
T: bench of some kind, ohp, pull ups, work in some direct pec work
W: speed squats, direct quad work
Th: deadlift, bb rows, pull ups
F: speed bench, cgb, hc to pp, direct shoulder work.

I still think that's alot but I would set my week up kind of like this. You should be getting a lot of quad work from front squats and high bar squats. I would rotate them weekly if it were me. Also finish with abs as often as you can.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
CODY_SNIDER
CODY_SNIDER
has no status.
Cody
Max Brawn

Just as a side note. As an athlete your going to make your living off the squat and deadlift. I would also look into box jumps/kneeling jumps over cleans and push pressing. I think any Olympic lifting is more fun and fancy then beneficial. Although a powerlifter would think that lol

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I will suggest that if you have not done so, that you go read the Casey Butt articles on programming. TON of useful info.
I have printed them off now, and will be reading those asap! Thanks a lot bud!

Quote:
If it were me I would try to get more specific each day. Nothing wrong with your plan but I don't see how you have any legs left to play ball. Look at something like this

M: squats rotate front/highbar, speed deadlifts, Romanians.
T: bench of some kind, ohp, pull ups, work in some direct pec work
W: speed squats, direct quad work
Th: deadlift, bb rows, pull ups
F: speed bench, cgb, hc to pp, direct shoulder work.

I still think that's alot but I would set my week up kind of like this. You should be getting a lot of quad work from front squats and high bar squats. I would rotate them weekly if it were me. Also finish with abs as often as you can.
I'm actually going with something very similar to what you have suggested, so thank you so much for your help! I really do appreciate it. What do you recommend as my direct quad work? Lunges?

Quote:
Just as a side note. As an athlete your going to make your living off the squat and deadlift. I would also look into box jumps/kneeling jumps over cleans and push pressing. I think any Olympic lifting is more fun and fancy then beneficial. Although a powerlifter would think that lol
Yes sir! I don't have access to a box that is challenging enough for me, however Broad Jumps are of the same Motor pattern in essence, so I will do those instead. I can probably find some sort of box SOMEWHERE, but it's proving difficult to find one right now!

THanks for the feedback guys! I'm excited about this new routine!

I'm looking to try the 'Total Power Training' routine from Chris Barnard soon, so I'm excited to buy that when I get paid and use it in the future!

Share with Facebook