Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #1001
Shep
Shep
is getting there
Brawn
Points: 1,315, Level: 20 Points: 1,315, Level: 20 Points: 1,315, Level: 20
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Whey
Shep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good posts

Alright Steve,I've got a few questions...

Is it ok to take a full week off training every few months or is it better to deload? If it's deload,how much less than I normally do? Also if I take a week off,do I need to eat as much?

As much as I love Deadlifts,I can't do them or any variation without pain in my SI joint. I've been doing Hang Cleans for sets of 5 and t bar rows for sets of 10. Plus I squat for sets of 5. Are these good substitutes?

What's the difference between shrugs and power shrugs? I've put my middle back out in the past doing heavy shrugs so always try to use perfect form and full range.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work with the videos,they are great.

Last edited by Shep; 10-26-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: autocorrect error on phone
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #1002
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
Alright Steve,I've got a few questions...
Glad to help.

Quote:
Is it ok to take a full week off training every few months or is it better to deload?
Deloading is overused and misused. Because of Wendler's you have guys taking frequent time off from the gym when it's really not needed.

It's best to take a week off every 8-12 weeks or when you feel you are battered, beaten down and need some recovery time.

Quote:
If it's deload,how much less than I normally do? Also if I take a week off,do I need to eat as much?

I usually take a week completely off from the gym. You could also go it and do either 60% of your volume, 60% of your intensity, or both.

Eat the same way. You are repairing and growing stronger during this time as your fatigue levels are improving. You don't want to change anything.

Quote:
As much as I love Deadlifts,I can't do them or any variation without pain in my SI joint. I've been doing Hang Cleans for sets of 5 and t bar rows for sets of 10. Plus I squat for sets of 5. Are these good substitutes?
Your first focus for back training should be 2-fold:

1) Heavy row variations.
2) Heavy pull down/pull up variations.

After that cleans are a great choice.

Quote:
What's the difference between shrugs and power shrugs?
Shrugs are usually light weight, touchy feely bodybuilding things that do little for your traps. Unless you;re suing steroids.

Power shrugs are heavy and explosive. The traps are a strong muscle group. They need to be challenged and power shrugs are one of the best ways.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #1003
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,356, Level: 29 Points: 2,356, Level: 29 Points: 2,356, Level: 29
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would wait on Smolov. Build a base a little stronger.

Regarding the program above, there really is no assistance work. It's just the big 3 lifts for 9 weeks.
Sounds good BTB. I may wait for a meet later in the year jut to get a better base. And I'll keep my eye out for some more beginner friendly powerlifting routines. Thanks for the advice
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #1004
Shep
Shep
is getting there
Brawn
Points: 1,315, Level: 20 Points: 1,315, Level: 20 Points: 1,315, Level: 20
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Supp: Whey
Shep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good posts

Thanks very much.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #1005
eXeL0L
eXeL0L
has no status.
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

eXeL0L is new to the forumeXeL0L is new to the forumeXeL0L is new to the forum

how should i fix constantly leaning forward while squating. In the past i got injury of anckle and i feel pain if i try to go forward with my knee compared to foot. Also my femur bone is pretty long so it makes me to lean forward a lot. I am working on this for a long time but its really ahrd and it's not that my whole body is weak its only squats. I can bench press 150kg deadlift 220 and squat mb 120-130... I am doing a lot of streching for hipe flexors and anckles but sitll cannot fix it. Thanks
eXeL0L is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #1006
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,020, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeL0L View Post
how should i fix constantly leaning forward while squating. In the past i got injury of anckle and i feel pain if i try to go forward with my knee compared to foot. Also my femur bone is pretty long so it makes me to lean forward a lot. I am working on this for a long time but its really ahrd and it's not that my whole body is weak its only squats. I can bench press 150kg deadlift 220 and squat mb 120-130... I am doing a lot of streching for hipe flexors and anckles but sitll cannot fix it. Thanks
Take a video using a normal work set so I can check your form. I almost 100% guarantee I know the causes already.

--Knees inside of toes when hitting depth
--Loose back
--Squatting too wide for your frame

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #1007
eXeL0L
eXeL0L
has no status.
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1

eXeL0L is new to the forumeXeL0L is new to the forumeXeL0L is new to the forum

videobam.com/bdtks

here is the link. My knes dont go in at bottom but the more bottom i go the more round i am :/ even thought i try to go wide with the knees. Also in the past i had to do completly wide stance now i narrowed it a bit to a bit wider then shoulder width. Thanks for reply
eXeL0L is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #1008
donaldbell8
donaldbell8
Lift or die
Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2 Points: 140, Level: 2

Training Exp: 18 years off and on
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Beast mode
My Mood: Yeehaw
donaldbell8 is new to the forumdonaldbell8 is new to the forumdonaldbell8 is new to the forum

Thank you. I've been lifting for a long time but never really had a goal besides just get strong. Now I really want to start competing in powerlifting and break some of my states records in the 100% raw.
donaldbell8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #1009
JD85
JD85
has no status.
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

JD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forum

Hey Steve, I was wondering if you could explain a bit about powerlifting and your experience. I've always been interested but don't know where to start. What federation are you in or which do you recommend? How do you get into meets and what are they like? Do you only "win" if you're first place? Are there trophies or medals? I've always had this idea that if I'm not like a top 3 finalist that I'd just be spinning my wheels, but I hope that's not the case.

If all this is too much to write about, it might make a good video!
JD85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #1010
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeL0L View Post
videobam.com/bdtks

here is the link. My knes dont go in at bottom but the more bottom i go the more round i am :/ even thought i try to go wide with the knees. Also in the past i had to do completly wide stance now i narrowed it a bit to a bit wider then shoulder width. Thanks for reply
The main issue is that your knees are forward and not opening. Pull your stance in a hair and practice opening your knees instead of keeping them forward. And think of squatting down instead of moving your hips back.

Try this without a bar. Get in your squat stance. Now pretend there is a quarter on the ground before you. With both hands squat down to pick it up. Your knees will naturally open.

This is how your squat reps should be.

Share with Facebook