Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #991
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,362, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,362, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,362, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbell8 View Post
Steve Do you think over head shoulder press helps in anyway with any aspect of the bench press.
Yes. It helps with the bench, and the extra tricep work from a different position doesn't hurt either.

I believe there is a very solid synergy between flat and overhead pressing. I always did my overheads seated and strict.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #992
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,362, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,362, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,362, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Two more questions, Steve.

1- I will be doing my first competition in March. My usual plan is a 5x5 variant. As I get closer to the comp I will probably switch to something like a 5,4,3,2,1 rep scheme to concentrate more on strength. How far out should I do this switch, or should I do a switch like this at all?

2- How da hell did you build your traps?

That is all, big guy. Thanks for helping out us noobs!
1 - I would switch 12 weeks out. This gives you 4 weeks to dial in the program and 8 weeks to peak. The last 4 weeks pull back on assistance work slowly.

It's ok to switch. But I would do a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 instead. Warm up to a heavy single, back off 5% to a double, back off 5% to a triple, etc.

Start with a manageable single, then in week two add 5 pounds. Keep this up, maybe dropping the 5 rep set 4 weeks out, drop the 4 rep set 3 weeks out, the 3 rep set 3 weeks out.

2 - I kill the crap out of my traps. Power shrugs with mammoth weight, deadlifts and more deadlifts, and lack pulls to no end.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #993
JD85
JD85
has no status.
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

JD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forum

Hey Steve, I was looking at the Huge Gainer early intermediate program you posted (forum won't let me post the link, it's on page 3). I'm really interested in trying it, but once again I'm kind of limited by only having free weights with no leg press. I'm considering buying a gym membership in the future, but right now I'm trying to save money and have plenty of free weights in my home gym.
JD85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #994
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD85 View Post
Hey Steve, I was looking at the Huge Gainer early intermediate program you posted (forum won't let me post the link, it's on page 3). I'm really interested in trying it, but once again I'm kind of limited by only having free weights with no leg press. I'm considering buying a gym membership in the future, but right now I'm trying to save money and have plenty of free weights in my home gym.
Hi JD,

I would do goblet squats, lunges or front squats. You could even rotate between 2 exercises every other week.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #995
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,939, Level: 26 Points: 1,939, Level: 26 Points: 1,939, Level: 26
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Hey BTB, once my lift are at a good level I'd like to start competing in meets and I was wondering if it would be an okay to add assistance work to the MAB 9 Week Powerlifting Periodization workout so that it would almost be a fullbody routine? If not, is there already a full body powerlifting routine?
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #996
DaveyP
DaveyP
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

DaveyP is new to the forumDaveyP is new to the forum

Hi Bearded One,

First time poster long term watcher of your videos, so here goes.

I was training pretty well for the last year or so. I started doing starting strength, then 5x5 and finally 5/3/1. But due to work and holidays, I haven't trained properly since September and I have lost 18lbs of mostly muscle and my strength has obviously suffered.

I want to get back to strength training but I also want to do some hypertrophy stuff. Can I do both? And how would I program it?

Cheers
Dave

35yrs
197lb
UK
DaveyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #997
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Hey BTB, once my lift are at a good level I'd like to start competing in meets and I was wondering if it would be an okay to add assistance work to the MAB 9 Week Powerlifting Periodization workout so that it would almost be a fullbody routine? If not, is there already a full body powerlifting routine?
I think if you have an interest you should look for a meet in 2014 and start focusing on it. Can you PM me a link to the program? I will make some suggestions.

Thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #998
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyP View Post
Hi Bearded One,

First time poster long term watcher of your videos, so here goes.

I was training pretty well for the last year or so. I started doing starting strength, then 5x5 and finally 5/3/1. But due to work and holidays, I haven't trained properly since September and I have lost 18lbs of mostly muscle and my strength has obviously suffered.

I want to get back to strength training but I also want to do some hypertrophy stuff. Can I do both? And how would I program it?

Cheers
Dave

35yrs
197lb
UK
Welcome to the forum Davey.

Yes, you can train for both. That's what I did or over 20 years.

Check out this base template and let me know what you think:

http://bit.ly/18y4vTC

We can modify it or add to it if needed.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-26-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #999
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,939, Level: 26 Points: 1,939, Level: 26 Points: 1,939, Level: 26
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

This I the MAB one I'm interested in http://muscleandbrawn.com/9-week-pow...aking-workout/
And then I'm also interest in Wendler's 5/3/1 or Smolov jr.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #1000
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
This I the MAB one I'm interested in http://muscleandbrawn.com/9-week-pow...aking-workout/
And then I'm also interest in Wendler's 5/3/1 or Smolov jr.
I would wait on Smolov. Build a base a little stronger.

Regarding the program above, there really is no assistance work. It's just the big 3 lifts for 9 weeks.

Share with Facebook