Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,456, Level: 78 Points: 14,456, Level: 78 Points: 14,456, Level: 78
Activity: 59% Activity: 59% Activity: 59%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
A lot of strong mofos *do* mess with machines , but mostly the plate-loaded kind (ones that can hold a lot of plates, funnily enough).

And I agree anyway - BB rows ftw. I think they're much maligned, and just underappreciated all over the place.

Staggering amounts of back strength and muscle have been built with high volume BB rows and not much else, in some cases.
Well stated, except for the part where you disagreed with me. lol

Just kidding...though I think the word funnily is going to become a permanent part of my vocabulary now.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
bigalfry
bigalfry
Contemplating my first competition...
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
I use 550 paracord and strap dumbbells to the stack. I had some fancy ones that I had weaved, but gave them to a guy at the gym who needed something like this. I just knotted these. I use two dumbbells because, when you get over about 30lbs on one side, it starts to put the stack in a bind. If the weight is even, the problem is non-existent. Our stack is only 150lbs, so I have to do this for many excercises.
Immediately after I posted my question I had a feeling there would be some crazy bastard rigging up something like this. Bravo my good man! I wish I had a gym cool enough to let me do stuff like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Deadlift 405
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I'm a fan of BB rows, but I also really like cable rows. I worked cable rows hard on a program I ran in the past.

Lots of advice here already but you can always do them stricter, and work on making sure you are getting your scapula pulled together during the pull.

Look up some info on Steve Reeves and how he rowed with a cable row.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
bigalfry
bigalfry
Contemplating my first competition...
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43 Points: 4,729, Level: 43
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I'm a fan of BB rows, but I also really like cable rows. I worked cable rows hard on a program I ran in the past.

Lots of advice here already but you can always do them stricter, and work on making sure you are getting your scapula pulled together during the pull.

Look up some info on Steve Reeves and how he rowed with a cable row.
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try and see how it feels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Deadlift 405
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #15
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,917, Level: 49 Points: 5,917, Level: 49 Points: 5,917, Level: 49
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

You take another Pin and Start adding Plates to the Stack... Duh

You tack on an easy 45's at least.. make your own pin and tack on two 45's...I made one from steal rod I got from Lowes..

I have done this in every gym I have workout at in the last 12-15yrs.

How heavy does your stack go? Low Cable Rows work best in the 10-14 rep Range.. If you go too heavy on them, your arms will end up doing all the work. It's the last part of the ROM in the Cable row that hits the back muscles it was designed for.

Also Try Rest/Pause Sets, Drop Sets, FST-7 Sets, Super Sets... All these will make it tougher...

Last edited by Ramrod; 10-23-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,075, Level: 100 Points: 34,075, Level: 100 Points: 34,075, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalfry View Post
Just realized something the other day when I was doing my cable rows. What do I do once I can do the whole stack?

I've still got a few pins to go before I need to worry about this but I thought I'd ask and see. My gym has a plate loaded hammer strength row machine that might do the trick but the pegs are so short, could probably only put 3 or four plates on each arm on that anyway. Or should I just switch to T-bar rows?

I know there are way bigger and way stronger guys than me in this forum so what do you guys do?
Once you can row the entire stack, focus on rowing it with strict form (no leaning back of forth), a 1-2s paus while contracting and a slow negative.

That will put some meat on that upper back!

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook