Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor
Default Splitting My Workout in 2

I currently train 3 times a week on a full body program with two alternating workouts A and B. I've been thinking about splitting them into push/pull pairs so that I would be training 6 days a week. The main reason for this is that the workouts would be shorter, although the total time spent in the gym would remain the same. What do you think about this?

Currently they are like this:

Workout A
Squat
Bench
Rows

Shrugs
Skullcrushers
Chin-ups
Good Mornings
Crunches

Workout B
Squat
Deadlift
Press
Light Rows

Close Grip Bench
Curls
Static Barbell Holds for Grip
Crunches

After splitting them they would be like this:
A 1
Squat
Bench
Skullcrushers
Crunches

A 2
Rows
Shrugs
Chin-Ups
Good Mornings

B 1
Squat
Press
Close Grip Bench
Crunches

B 2
Deadlift
Light Rows
Curls
Static Barbell Holds for Grip
These workouts would be done as follows:

Mon - A1
Tue - A2
Wed - B1
Thu - B2
Fri - A1
Sat - A2
Sun - off

Mon - B1
Tue - B2
Wed - A1
Thu - A2
Fri - B1
Sat - B2

Would this work or should I just stick to the 3 LOOONG workouts? Jason Blaha says it doesn't matter how you split the lifts on different days as long as the frequency remains the same.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,492, Level: 47 Points: 5,492, Level: 47 Points: 5,492, Level: 47
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

I would do a 4 day split instead. Doing 6 days will end up being more time... You still have to warm up just as much before each workout. Plus having a full 2 days off can a row makes a huge difference in recovery.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,052, Level: 96 Points: 26,052, Level: 96 Points: 26,052, Level: 96
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

My 2 cents.

To the question of "would this work?" That is relative. What do you mean by work? could you do it? Probably. Is it optimal? Who really knows, no one, not even Mr. Blaha, knows you and your body. For you, training for 6 days a week may be no problem, for someone else it would be big problems. My advice, give it a go for a month and see how you feel about it, then decide if it will work for you or not.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn

mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I would do a 4 day split instead. Doing 6 days will end up being more time... You still have to warm up just as much before each workout. Plus having a full 2 days off can a row makes a huge difference in recovery.
Yes, I'd rather do a 4 day split as well... But I couldn't figure out how to divide all the exercises into 4 assuming I would like to keep the frequency of each lift the same. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe 3 squat sessions and 1 deadlift session (Mon - Wed - Fri - Sat)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav
To the question of "would this work?" That is relative. What do you mean by work? could you do it? Probably.
Yeah, I guess I just meant if I could do it, not whether it's optimal because as you say it's not possible to know. Or "are there massive obvious problems with doing this?". I think you answered my question.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Yes, I'd rather do a 4 day split as well... But I couldn't figure out how to divide all the exercises into 4 assuming I would like to keep the frequency of each lift the same. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe 3 squat sessions and 1 deadlift session (Mon - Wed - Fri - Sat)?

Depending on what days you can get to the gym and what days the gym is open, you could also just use your templates of A1, A2, B1, B2 in a 4-day cycle with 2 days rest and then start at A1 again on the next day; the only thing with this approach is that the workouts will fall on entirely different days from week to week but other than that, you get your 4 days as you'd like and you get the exercises as you'd like them along with a 2-day break after every 4 days of training.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Dray
Dray
is working towards
a better Dray, day by day
Max Brawn
Points: 9,242, Level: 64 Points: 9,242, Level: 64 Points: 9,242, Level: 64
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: strict press
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Doesn't look quite like the actual ICF 5x5 routine I saw the other day (it's now hosted @ Muscle and Fitness, IIRC).

But it's fairly close. So, it'd still be 5x5 for the major lifts, and 3x8 (or so) for everything else? Other than crunches (<- ) I guess...

That info (reps, sets, etc.) might help, for people trying to give you advice.

I'm a bit too close to being a newbie to really offer much advice myself, but I would suggest maybe trying the ICF 5x5 routine as is, at least for a while, given that a lot of guys have apparently gone pretty well with it. Just a thought.

Gym PRs: SQ 160kg/352.7lbs, BP 112.5kg/248lbs, DL 220kg/485lbs

my new training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Depending on what days you can get to the gym and what days the gym is open, you could also just use your templates of A1, A2, B1, B2 in a 4-day cycle with 2 days rest and then start at A1 again on the next day; the only thing with this approach is that the workouts will fall on entirely different days from week to week but other than that, you get your 4 days as you'd like and you get the exercises as you'd like them along with a 2-day break after every 4 days of training.
That would otherwise be fine, but the frequency would be less. I'd like to keep everything as similar as possible to what I'm doing now, but somehow train more than three days a week in order to make the workouts a little shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
I'm a bit too close to being a newbie to really offer much advice myself, but I would suggest maybe trying the ICF 5x5 routine as is, at least for a while, given that a lot of guys have apparently gone pretty well with it. Just a thought.
I've actually run the program since March. There's nothing wrong with the routine, but I feel I'm at a point where I'm "allowed" to start to make changes based on my own experience.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Dray
Dray
is working towards
a better Dray, day by day
Max Brawn
Points: 9,242, Level: 64 Points: 9,242, Level: 64 Points: 9,242, Level: 64
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: strict press
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
I've actually run the program since March. There's nothing wrong with the routine, but I feel I'm at a point where I'm "allowed" to start to make changes based on my own experience.
Fair enough. A lifter is always "allowed", far as I'm aware.

Having done full body a fair bit (out of my limited experience so far, lol), and a couple of other things a bit less, I can say that four days a week is pretty easy to get used to, after doing three for a "long" time. If there's a good way to break it down to an upper/lower, or maybe push/pull, then that would be my first choice, personally. But hey, to each their own. Not at all trying to tell you what to do here.

Gym PRs: SQ 160kg/352.7lbs, BP 112.5kg/248lbs, DL 220kg/485lbs

my new training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Not at all trying to tell you what to do here.
Well, I asked, didn't I?

How about just chiseling off the deadlifts from workout B to their own day and only doing deadlifts once a week? Would it be worth the trip to the gym to only do deadlifts? I could throw in some calf raises and grip work to that workout as well.

That way I would have like:
Mon - A
Wed - B
Fri - A
Sat - Deadlifts

Mon - B
Wed - A
Fri - B
Sat - Deadlifts

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF