Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Mind and Motivation

Notices

Mind and Motivation This forum is for the cultivation of motivation, inner health, spiritual health and mental strength.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
zach90
zach90
getin stronger daily
Brawn
Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23 Points: 1,626, Level: 23
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 6 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: curls... lol jk DEADS
Fav Supp: moe food
zach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributorzach90 is a dedicated contributor
Default why goals suck

more george leeman

zach90 is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,468,414, Level: 100 Points: 1,468,414, Level: 100 Points: 1,468,414, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My 2 cents...

What most people need is consistency, patience and to actually enjoy what they are doing.

You can set a target but that doesn't mean it's a good target. I've seen hundreds of people set targets on this site. Good or bad target, they never arrive because they like the target more than they like the training.

I personally find my best target is one more rep, one more pound. It keeps me focused on what's important to me: maximizing every workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

^^Likewise, I don't really have goals, per se, I just like to see progression which is all that counts, to me.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Bronco
Bronco
is cool
Cool Guy
Brawn
Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21 Points: 1,448, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

i always have goals, they help keep me motivated.
goals, targets, or whatever. i can't really get excited about the semantics and all that.
i think it's varies for individuals. different things motivate people in different ways.

i had just started fooling around with squats and deadlifts . you know, like 185 - 225lbs.
so at the beginning of 2012 i decided i'd set some goals for the end of 2012 to give me something to shoot for. started doing 5 sets of 5 once a week. by the end of february i'd started to figure out how to lift better and realized i'd vastly underestimated my potential to lift heavy stuff. had to adjust my goals because i was about to reach them already. so my new goals were a lot tougher. i had to actually research workout programs and stuff, and just push it a lot harder if i wanted to reach them. so that's what i did. so, the point is i think setting these goals motivated me to push myself harder. but that's just me.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Gorship
Gorship
wants to earn the right to say he Lifts
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
My Mood: Inspired
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

I dont have goals, other than continuing the progressive overload in my routine, forever and ever.
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Dray
Dray
is working towards
a better Dray, day by day
Max Brawn
Points: 9,237, Level: 64 Points: 9,237, Level: 64 Points: 9,237, Level: 64
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: strict press
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

So it turns out I've had some targets, and so far, I've hit each of them. I've created more since then, and will hit them as well.

I would've just called them "goals", but hey, if he says so...

edit: I don't see "small milestones" (or whatever you want to call them) as a bad thing. To each their own though.

Gym PRs: SQ 160kg/352.7lbs, BP 112.5kg/248lbs, DL 220kg/485lbs

my new training log

Last edited by Dray; 10-11-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Kleurplaay
Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,235, Level: 28 Points: 2,235, Level: 28 Points: 2,235, Level: 28
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My 2 cents...

What most people need is consistency, patience and to actually enjoy what they are doing.

You can set a target but that doesn't mean it's a good target. I've seen hundreds of people set targets on this site. Good or bad target, they never arrive because they like the target more than they like the training.

I personally find my best target is one more rep, one more pound. It keeps me focused on what's important to me: maximizing every workout.
True story. I think (not sure though) that George means that it's way better for your progress to have 'tangible' targets along the way such as: today I'm doing 85kg for 4 sets of 5, or I'm going to bench press 3 times a week, in other words smaller 'goals' where the road to the goal/target is clear. What George is calling a 'goal' here seems to be things like "I want to squat 3 plates", which he thinks isn't as useful because it isn't clear how you want to get there.

Another example would be:

Goal: Reach the top of Mount Everest.
Target: Climb to the top of Mount Everest.

Obviously in this example the goal and target are practically the same, as it is obvious that to reach the top you have to climb it (unless you're going to fly there or some other shenanigans). But in the world of training, it isn't always clear what the best way to reach a goal is. This is why he recommends you set tangible targets along the way, which would in practice strongly relate to what you say is most important: "CONSISTENCY".

Feeling good along the way is crucial aswell. George might say (and I believe him when he says that) that he is a deeply unhappy/messed up person, but he still has that 'feel good' glow when he lifts a ridiculous weight.

Lastly I can say that I personally just feel good when I accomplish something small such as adding 2.5kg to my bench or squatting 1 or 2 extra reps. When I reach a long-term goal I set for myself way back I usually don't enjoy it that much. Usually by then I've already adjusted my goals to a higher weight again. The only real long-term goal I have is: "Become as strong as possible and look the part too".

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 10-12-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor
Default Why Goals Suck

Food for thought

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,468,414, Level: 100 Points: 1,468,414, Level: 100 Points: 1,468,414, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Merging with the other thread.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
TobesLCFC
TobesLCFC
cutting
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Woops sorry

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook