Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #401
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

[quote=1morerep;413602]ck this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Sx9dX9LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Thanks for your input. I wasn't aware that I was moving my head/torso, etc. I will have to work on that. I also thought that keeping my hips low involved my legs more and my back less. So, you are saying that it is the other way around? That is my biggest worry, hurting my back.
It actually doesn't look bad for your first deadlift workout ever! You aren't giving yourself enough credit here!

My opinion is that your hips are in a good starting position for sumo deadlifting. Get everything tight from head to toe before you begin the pull and keep it tight throughout the lift, especially your back and glutes. The more tension you in your body prior to the lift, the more you can transfer to the bar. Fire those leg muscles as hard and as fast as you can, especially your glutes.

I am not very good at sumo compared to my conventional, but it helps me to think of the sumo deadlift as if you are "squatting" the weight off of the floor and thrusting the hips forward as fast and as hard as possible with the glutes. It is hard to tell from the video, but you might need to be closer to the bar at the start. I like my shins right on the bar for sumo. Experiment with your foot position to find what works best for you.

It seems like you lose steam at the top of the lift. This could mean that you have weak glutes, or that you are not using them correctly during the lift. The need to be tight and fired as hard as possible during the entire lift. Visualize yourself trying to destroy the wall in front of you with your pelvis. That's how hard they should fire.

On the last rep or two, you kind of shrugged/pulled the weight up to lockout using your biceps. Firing your glutes properly can prevent you from having to do this to finish the lift. Bending your arms during a deadlift can be dangerous. This is often how people detach biceps from their elbows. Make sure you keep them straight and triceps flexed through the lift.

I think those are good starting points for you to work on. If I had to summarize your biggest weakness with only one word, it would be GLUTES. Good luck man, keep working at it and you will get better quickly.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #402
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
It's Friday night at 11:00 and I'm knee deep in my 4th rum and coke, but I'm totally going to take a stab at this. You're main issue IS in your head, as in, you're not leading with it. Your hips are starting to raise before anything else. This tells me two things; 1. you're thinking about lifting the weight instead of simply standing up and leading with your head. Just push your head towards the sky, stand up, and take the bar for the ride. 2. you're loose when you start your lift. The fact that you start the lift with no tension, especially in the lower back, means your hips start to raise up as you create enough tension to finally get the bar off the ground.

When you are in position to start your lift, start to slowly build tension by lightly pulling up on the bar. The feeling will be that you are pulling your butt DOWN as you build tension in the bar. Then, when you're tight and ready to go, push your head towards the sky.

There you go. Not bad for a buzzed response, eh?
Great response.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #403
Tomsen
Tomsen
is studying...
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
My Mood: Amused
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts
Default Squat and Deadlift Update

Hey guys!

Haven't posted form videos for a long time now, but here they are. Please give me your feedback, I would really appreciate that.

Deadlifts are done from a deficit of two 20kg plates (around 5cm i guess).

Squat Front View:

Squat Side View (sorry can't see my back on the bottom because of the towel):

Deficit Deadlifts:
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #404
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen View Post
Hey guys!

Haven't posted form videos for a long time now, but here they are. Please give me your feedback, I would really appreciate that.
Taking a look. Hope you will consider starting up a training log and joining us.

Squats - look solid. Can't find anything noteworthy to correct.

Deadlifts - your head and shoulders look way forward of the bar. By the time the bar is over your knees your hips are flying high and you are still in this position. You need to start with your chest out a little more and that head a little more upright.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dead.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	11351  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #405
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,278, Level: 35 Points: 3,278, Level: 35 Points: 3,278, Level: 35
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
My Mood: Mellow
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Uploading this for a depth check. You can't really tell much about my form here (other than it is one of my heavy sets and I get a little squirrelly on the upstroke, lol) But I am more concerned with my depth. Is this low enough for a USAPL competition meet? Thanks!

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #406
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Honestly depth is a little hard to tell as you're a large guy with a loose shirt but looked ok to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #407
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

[quote=afraziaaaa;413736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
ck this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Sx9dX9LM

It actually doesn't look bad for your first deadlift workout ever! You aren't giving yourself enough credit here!

My opinion is that your hips are in a good starting position for sumo deadlifting. Get everything tight from head to toe before you begin the pull and keep it tight throughout the lift, especially your back and glutes. The more tension you in your body prior to the lift, the more you can transfer to the bar. Fire those leg muscles as hard and as fast as you can, especially your glutes.

I am not very good at sumo compared to my conventional, but it helps me to think of the sumo deadlift as if you are "squatting" the weight off of the floor and thrusting the hips forward as fast and as hard as possible with the glutes. It is hard to tell from the video, but you might need to be closer to the bar at the start. I like my shins right on the bar for sumo. Experiment with your foot position to find what works best for you.

It seems like you lose steam at the top of the lift. This could mean that you have weak glutes, or that you are not using them correctly during the lift. The need to be tight and fired as hard as possible during the entire lift. Visualize yourself trying to destroy the wall in front of you with your pelvis. That's how hard they should fire.

On the last rep or two, you kind of shrugged/pulled the weight up to lockout using your biceps. Firing your glutes properly can prevent you from having to do this to finish the lift. Bending your arms during a deadlift can be dangerous. This is often how people detach biceps from their elbows. Make sure you keep them straight and triceps flexed through the lift.

I think those are good starting points for you to work on. If I had to summarize your biggest weakness with only one word, it would be GLUTES. Good luck man, keep working at it and you will get better quickly.
Thanks for the tips! I didn't see your response until today or I would have acknowledged it sooner. I apologize. I will work on this. I have been kind of afraid to start explosively for fear of tearing something. Takes practice, I guess. Thank you again.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #408
TDawg75
TDawg75
All Pro Fatback
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Honestly depth is a little hard to tell as you're a large guy with a loose shirt but looked ok to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Thanks for the input!

Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #409
bigalfry
bigalfry
Contemplating my first competition...
Sasquats
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,345, Level: 41 Points: 4,345, Level: 41 Points: 4,345, Level: 41
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 10
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

Posting this from my phone - hopefully the video posts OK.

Recently strained my back which made me re evaluate my squat and deadlift form. I went super light and am focusing on my form as I slowly increase the weight.

Here's a side view of my squats. deadlift video to follow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-21-2013 at 09:40 AM.
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #410
bigalfry
bigalfry
Contemplating my first competition...
Sasquats
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,345, Level: 41 Points: 4,345, Level: 41 Points: 4,345, Level: 41
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 10
Fav Supp: Creatine Monohydrate
bigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributorbigalfry is a dedicated contributor

And here's a front view of my sumo deadlift.

And a side view of my standard deads

I always had a problem before where I didn't get my hips low enough and I'd end up lifting the weight a few inches away from my legs (no wonder I strained my back right?). I've done a bit of research and have really been trying to focus on keeping my hips closer to the bar by lowering my hips a bit more and really trying to keep the bar close to (or rubbing against) my legs on the way up.
I think I have a bit of a hip flexibility issue because getting myself that low for the sumo's feels uncomfortable in my hips and I can't lift as much as I can with a standard deadlift.

Let me know how it looks to you guys. If you need a side view of my sumo to get a better idea of how I'm doing just let me know and I'll get one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-21-2013 at 09:47 AM.
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook