Max Brawn
Points: 21,235, Level: 91 Points: 21,235, Level: 91 Points: 21,235, Level: 91
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Nice work man!

What is the advantage to front squats with an axle? Does the box front squats have more carryover?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #572
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
is getting too old for this shit.
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,383, Level: 42 Points: 4,383, Level: 42 Points: 4,383, Level: 42
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Nice work man!

What is the advantage to front squats with an axle? Does the box front squats have more carryover?
Thanks. As for the advantage, I picked them up from Mike Jenkins. He used an axle for all of his squatting until he got some specialty bars (cambered, safety, s-cubed). The thought behind it is that it won't flex or bend so it is harder. The idea behind the above parallel box is to help deadlift and overhead. About the same angle for breaking the weight off the floor and it's a good way to overload the shoulder girdle and to get used to supramaximal weights for overhead. You could do it with a barbell.

Craig Pfisterer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #573
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

October 04, 2013 Press Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Close Grip Barbell Bench Presses
45x10
95x5
145x5
185x5
225x3
260x5
295x3
330x7 PR+3 reps
260x8
260x8
260x8

Axle Strict Presses
115x3
155x3
195x8
195x8
195x8
195x8

Seated Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions
70x12
70x12
70x12

IYTs
5sx12
5sx12
5sx12

30 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: I did a number on three wheels last week but that didn't mean this was going to be the same. I felt a little off warming up but I was ready come go time. I went a bit more than I usually do and the chances of getting another rep were very slim when I stopped. I had the number 7 in my head before the workout so I went for it. Definitely feeling fatigue in my arms with the down sets. Doesn't help matters that strict pressing is next. I was more worried it would bug my knees than anything. Definitely getting tough, I feel I went into a different gear once it started to feel heavy and made it look like speed work on video. Finished up with triceps and upper back and stretching. Rest and then events on Sunday, followed by a much needed deload.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #574
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Congrats on the huge press PR.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #575
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Congrats on the huge press PR.
Thanks Steve. Hopefully I can put this power into my axle/log overhead once I get done with this contest prep.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #576
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 14,382, Level: 77 Points: 14,382, Level: 77 Points: 14,382, Level: 77
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Awesome pressing craig.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #577
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Awesome pressing craig.
Thanks Brute.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #578
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

I was in a dark frame of mind yesterday and it wasn't pleasant. It has passed for now. We all have to deal with are own personal demons from time to time. I'm back to it, just needed a lot time to think and sleep. My plans right now are to proceed with my commitments to the Brute Strength Plane Pull and Maryland's Strongest Man. From there, I think I'll be going back to a ME/DE split for lower body and have 7 week cycles rather than 4 week. I'm going to start implementing some of those ideas into my deload and the remaining weeks leading up to Maryland's Strongest Man.

October 07, 2013 Event Training

Dynamic Warm-ups

Yoke
305x50'
485x50'
640x50' in 8.79 seconds
725x50' in 11.04 seconds
810x50' in 13.54 seconds

18" Pick Farmer's Walk
115x50'
205x50'
260x50' in 9.09 seconds
295x50' in 10.03 seconds
330x50' in 12.87 seconds

Comments: It was raining in the morning and a tornado warning was in effect until 5:00 so I was fine with just going into my deload week. Got out of work and saw it was sunny and the rain was drying up so moving heavy stuff in my neighborhood was back on. Speed was good on my first set of yoke but I rushed the pick on my second and it cost me precious time. Went better with my heaviest set. 10lbs more and a little over 1.5 seconds faster. Farmer's were something else. First issue was elevating the pick height. My Rouge handles are just 15" compared to the 20" for the contest frame and 18" that I have been using. My dad cut some makeshift blocks to elevate the handles. That lead to issue number two as I had to worry about the blocks coming out of the gate. I also forgot how unforgiving these handles are. Almost lost my grip on the first run in my left hand. I made sure I was thoroughly chalked up for the other runs and yet my grip was given no mercy. Obviously times were a bit slower than I'd have liked with farmer's walk. On to deload.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #579
Craig Pfisterer
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn

This could turn into a shitty week. Found out last night reading the obituaries that a friend I hadn't seen in a few month passed away Friday. And my grandfather was admitted to a hospital last night pretty much as soon as I finished reading my friend's obit. So yeah, my mind is preoccupied.

October 08, 2013 Overhead Event Training Deload

Dynamic Warm-ups

Circus Dumbbell Clean and Presses (Left Side Only)
20x5
50x5
75x5
95x5
110x5
95x5
75x5

Axle Jerks
140x8
140x8
140x8
140x8

Band Triceps Pressdowns
MMBx25
MMBx25
MMBx25
MMBx25

Face Pulls
MB+MMBx25
MB+MMBx25
MB+MMBx25
MB+MMBx25

30 Minutes of Stretching

Comments: Despite doing heavy yoke and farmer's walk yesterday, this felt pretty good. I think I could have put in a solid workout even if I wasn't doing a deload. Nothing really to add as the weights are light and I felt good doing them. I tested out some lower body stuff for possible implementation to my program.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #580
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 32,082, Level: 100 Points: 32,082, Level: 100 Points: 32,082, Level: 100
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Very strong work Craig. I enjoy reading your log and getting some inspiration.

Share with Facebook