Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Wesker
Wesker
is wondering why the hell he bought a tablet.
Brawn
Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 9 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
My Mood: Spent
Wesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good posts
Default Valhalla

This is the start of my "Project Yoked" 2.0. I've gradually increased my seriousness during my last 9 months. I kind of feel bad for not going all out from the get go, but I had my reasons for going slow. I and most people are overly enthusiastic in the start of a project and burn out before we really even get started. To counter this failing pattern, I've learned patience and slow gradual progress. My main tool have been logging my weights and reps and taken satisfaction in all and any gain, even if it's just a rep or two. When I look at my first log book is amazing to see how much stronger I've become. I'm not thrilled with my visual results, but I have an unquenchable faith that I will get there.

I used to be a raging atheist and arrogantly looked down upon faith of any kind, deeming it both weak and useless. These days I can't stand the pseudo intellectual, arrogant atheists, I womit a little every time I hear them speak, to think I was like that before..... *sigh*. I will never become a christian, but I have learned to respect all people as equal and wise, spite of what they believe. No one holds but a piece of the entire picture and no ones thruth is more valuable then others. Faith, I have come to view as one of the strongest virtues in life, as It's really all we got. You never know what tomorrow brings, but you can always have faith in it and yourself. It will guide you through the myriads of distractions and challenges life throws at you. It doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as you have it, you will make it.

Weight lifting has taught me a lot. Persistence, disiplin and the value of the saying, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" It has also taught me the value of failing and its role in growing. As Thomas Wayne simply put it, "And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up"

Ok, enough with philosophy hour on to the Iron.

I'll post my weight and stuff later. I'm currently losing fat, I won't insult bodybuilders by calling it "cutting" I haven't been bulking or built up a huge amout of muscles coverd in fat. So I'm not "cutting" I'm just losing some fat. I was sick a while back and was not lifting and I ate like an idiot. I just want to get a little confidence boost and start from "scratch".

This time when I start bulking, I will have a diet plan, nothing elaborate, just monetering my intake. Insure that I am in a caloric surplus and get a healthy well balanced food intake and enough proteins.

Question: If anyone's reading this, please answer this for me.

I don't seem to get a good workout for my calf with dumbbells and barbells. I've tried evry calf raise I know of. I just don't get tired. I loaded the barbell with as much as I could and did a seated calf raise with one leg. After 37 reps I gave up due to the pain on my legs from supporting the heavy barbell, but nothing in my calfs....

part 2 of the question. Are Squats "enough" for my calfs or must I isolate. I just want a well rounded muscular physique. I'm not a "calf man"

Going to my garage to lift some heavy stuff, I'll report back when it's done!
Wesker is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

i dont have the greatest calves but i know you will have to do more than squat because you really shouldnt be feeling it too much in your calves. do dunkey calf raises heavy and a lot a of reps or drop sets. i see results when i train them more, say like three times a week or so. like i said my calves arent the best part on me but they arent small. just kill them like you would kill your arms.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
This is the start of my "Project Yoked" 2.0.
Love it. Crush your goals!

Quote:
These days I can't stand the pseudo intellectual
I don't have much of a taste for pseudo-intellectualism in any form. Right there with you.

Quote:
I will never become a christian, but I have learned to respect all people as equal and wise
I used to despise them as well. Ended up making a friend who was a pastor. Found out how much good they actually did in the community and respect that. Also found there is a lot of wisdom in Jesus, even though I will never become a religious Christian.

Quote:
I don't seem to get a good workout for my calf with dumbbells and barbells.
My best advice is to go heavy, and go hard for progression. Few people do that with calves. You want to maintain good form and range of motion, of course.

I do something at home called a rocking calf raise while holding a barbell (not with it on my back.

Quote:
part 2 of the question. Are Squats "enough" for my calfs or must I isolate. I just want a well rounded muscular physique. I'm not a "calf man"
Not typically. Calves are very fickle. Some have massive calves, some small. Things seem to rarely change.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Wesker
Wesker
Brawn

Wesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good postsWesker has made some very good posts

Thanks for tips guys. I'll try does calf excercises and try and reap havoc on my puny legs.

I started using the bearded one's rep goal system(I think I got the right idea), I like the simplicity and focus on every set, basically just what I needed. I was previously obsessed with hitting a certain rep range and it felt highly artificial. I've always read that "Thou shall do 10x3" What bothered me with this, was that people say they do like 5x5 with same weight. First they do maybe 5-5-5-5-4 and next time 5-5-5-5-5 and they increase weight. I thought either they are not accumulating fatigue like a normal human body, not going hard enough on the first sets or they go for a coffee between sets.

My lifts always goes like this 10-9-8, next time I would reach 10, stop, thinking hey I must conserve energy so I can reach the magical 10-10-10. Meaning the first sets become more like a warm up for the final magical set which, MUST reach 10 before I can increase weights.

I change to a rep goal of 30, I just picked a number. When I was doing DB Incline bench I did 11-10-9 = 30= more weight. And every set was near failure! Felt much more like a workout going like this and the best thing of all I no longer have to aim for the magic 10.

Here are the results of the last work out. I look forward to a time I can lift as heavy as the rest of the beasts around here. Geez, been looking through the other logs and leave feeling like a little girl. Luckily it's quite inspiring too, you guys make me wanna push myself. My goal is now to become a beast at squatting and deadlifting. I recognize myself when I hear others make up excuses for not doing them. " What if I snap my shit up!" Have never tried it, but already an expert on the dangers.... Glad that my head is slowly slipping out of my ass. I will become a deadlifting beast! You hear that MaB, A BEAST! I'm gonna go viking style on those heavy ass weights! (1 week later asks BtB for an alternative to deadlift, haha, ain't gonna happen!!! I will keep practicing and get it right, there are no alternative

Log 3 oct

Incline Bench Two Arm DB Row 10 kg each DB (wow! ...sarcasm)

Focusing on squeezing on top, feels good in my upper back (My obviously neglected area) First time so weights were too low

13-12-11= 36 increasing weights next time.

Dumbell Incline Bench Press 20kg each.

11-10-9=30 Up up next time, yay!

DB Military Press ( Dropped the weights and going slow, used bad form last time an pulled my shoulder...ouch) 10 kg each.

10-9-8 = 27. Same weight next time.

DB Flyes, I passed on this one, aching shoulder got worse with each lift. Hope my shoulder gets better as I really like this excercise.

DB Hammer curls 13.5kg each

11-7 Keeping weight.

DB Lateral Raise 5kg each (Feel it mostly in my upper traps....hmmm)

14-12 Up up we go

Tricep DB Kickbacks10kg ( I hate this Excersise, not sure how to do it right and my shoulder is too tired to stay still.)

13-12 I literally kick the weights back as indicated by the name and feels hard ln my triceps, but feels like I'm using a little too much momentum.

So that was it, all in all a good workout feel poofed. Dreading my leg day as my thighs are still aching from the last one...well, well I'll stop whining and turn on Viking mode.

Really sick off my fat losing goal", lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Kind of pointless as I am considered non fat by any standard. Oh vanity! My ego has convinced me that it is pointless to gain muscle when you still look like a half fat chump... Just a few pounds more and you can start your clean bulk. Can someone please smack me on the head.....

Last edited by Wesker; 10-04-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

great detail on the log so far! keep it up

***AAEFX REP***

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Wesker
Wesker
Brawn

Default 5 Oct Lower

My first real deadlifting session. Went way beyond my expectations, so I'm really pleased.

Deadlift

50kg/110ibs X 14
60kg/132ibs X 12
70kg/154ibs X 8
85kg/187ibs X 1 Deadlifted my own bodyweight, so I'm damn pleased with that.

Goblet Squats

20kg X 12
20kg X 11
30kg X 9

Rocking Calf Raise
40 X 20
40 X 20

Abs
Airbike 85 -70
Dumbbell Side Bend 25 kg - 11-10

Squats after Deads might be a mistake. Thinking about doing Lunges instead.

After the workout, my back was so tired I could hardly bend over.....awesome!

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Strong pulling.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
brad1224
brad1224
has no status.
Max Brawn

Cake Of Chaos Champion!

you man deads looking great. just bust your ass and you will get stronger!

***AAEFX REP***

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
OHDL
OHDL
Wants more milk!
Max Brawn
Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42 Points: 4,541, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Tired
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Great BW Deadlift man !

Also, love your log name Have you watched Vikings?

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by OHDL; 10-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
OHDL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Wesker
Wesker
Brawn

Default Oct 07 Upper A

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1224 View Post
you man deads looking great. just bust your ass and you will get stronger!
Thanks! I'll keep at it and I WILL get strong as hell! A life long dream I've kept pushing back, but now, nothing will stop me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
Great BW Deadlift man !

Also, love your log name Have you watched Vikings?
Thanks, but no,I haven't seen it.

Since I'm from norway, vikings and norse mythology is right up my alley. I don't know how familiar you are with it, but Valhalla was were the fallen warriors prepared to aid Odin in the upcoming Ragnarok (Armageddon) If I'm gonna help Odin, I better get Yoked!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dumbbell Bench Press

50 Kg X 10 - 7 - 5

Pull Ups

6 - 4 - 3

Barbell Bent Over Row

40 X 14
45 X 11
50 X 9 ( Start with 50Kg next time)

Dumbbell Pullover

15Kg X 12 - 11 - 9 (Add 2, 5 kg next)

Bent Over DB Reverse Fly

8Kg X 12 - 11 ( Add 1 Kg next time)

Barbell Curl

20kg X 11 - 7 (Biceps are getting bigger, but I m not getting stronger )

DB Skullcrushers

8Kg X 8 - 7

Since I'm currently on a low calorie diet, I'm glad I still have strength gains.

Share with Facebook