Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Ass to Grass Squats

I thought ATG squats would be a good topic.

What do you feel the pros are?

Cons?

Who could do them?

Should they be done?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Gorship
Gorship
wants to earn the right to say he Lifts
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
My Mood: Inspired
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

I drop down as low as I can go, which is basically until im sitting on my ankles and calves. As far as i know thats ATG, so I do them? I couldn't really squat any other way after doing it for so long.
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 10,002, Level: 66 Points: 10,002, Level: 66 Points: 10,002, Level: 66
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Doing them all the time would be, I imagine, not only unnecessary but also a bit naff, if you're a powerlifter, or looking to be one at some stage.

For some other kinds of athlete, they might be quite useful.

Bodybuilders (and "muscles/aesthetics first" types in general), I don't know either way. What little I do know about lifting is generally more in the powerlifting/strongman/olympic/sports areas. Even then, not that much, as yet.

I can see a similar argument being made for them, as for deficit deadlifts. Could be true (that there's a valid "Pro" argument to be made along those lines). Just a thought.

edit: If you have the flexibility to do them properly and safely, and you're not a competing powerlifter (maybe even if you are...) then why not do them sometimes, really.

My training log

Last edited by Dray; 10-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,438, Level: 67 Points: 10,438, Level: 67 Points: 10,438, Level: 67
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

My opinion is that a squat is below parallel. Period the end. What benefit is there to purposely trying to get as low as possible? If one is doing an atg squat you are not using heavy weight and training a proper squat, as such another actual rep with full ROM could have or may have been accomplished for the set.
Depth or dishonor.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
Gorship
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

Still, besides just saying that doing them all the time would be bad.. I havnt heard any reasons why.

Why would you not do a full range of motion?

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1767210

Article form T-nation has some good stuff
Log!

www.needGod.com

Last edited by Gorship; 10-05-2013 at 02:20 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,868, Level: 100 Points: 33,868, Level: 100 Points: 33,868, Level: 100
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Best way to build massive quads. Check out Tom Platz, he never stopped at paralell

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 10,002, Level: 66 Points: 10,002, Level: 66 Points: 10,002, Level: 66
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1767210

Article form T-nation has some good stuff
Nice find. Thanks for posting the link. Much to think about, all in all (especially given that, in my case, I started squatting by doing ATG high bar, but in more recent times adopted the low bar "just below parallel" method). Hm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Best way to build massive quads. Check out Tom Platz, he never stopped at parallel
And a great point there, Swede. Dayumn, dem quads!

My training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
Gorship
Gorship
Uber Brawn

Again, at the end of the day. Your comfort and strength is up to you. After watching the power-lifting during Olympia. People have so many variations of high bar/ low bar, the only thing in common is everyone descended slowly to depth and stood up, which I think, even if you do ATG squats, you would train yourself to do for meets.

I could be mistaken, but I believe also there is a stretch reflex that comes into play, whereby when you stretch the muscle out (which you will do by sinking deep) and then powering out, using that reflex really helps in your overall flexibility and strength.

Ill have to search around for the names of these things.
Log!

www.needGod.com

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

IMHO ATG squats are overall better for you than parallel. I think taking any movement through its entirity is more beneficial than doing partial reps, which a parallel squat, again IMO, is.

I dont stop the bar 3-4 inches above my chest on bench and dont do quater reps on curls etc etc so why do it on squats.

Plus the hamstrings get involved when I go past parallel and recruiting more muscles cant be bad, cant it?

I think there is also a lot of presure put on the knee to reverse the movement at parallel, rather than taking the move to, what I feel, is the natural conclusion.

Children dont parallel squat when they pick things up, the go ATG, and that is a natural movement.

Who can do them... I think anyone with enough flexibility, my Mrs CANT squat down without her heels coming off the floor, but Im sure a pair of Oly shoes whould sort that out... If she ever decided she wants to do some squats that it
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
IainK
IainK
is on the highway to hell
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
My Mood: Relaxed
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

If I wasnt a powerlifer thats how I would probably do them aka very close to a full Rom.

As an aside the average depth of people whom claim to do atg squats is approx parallel lol

I like doing em. Get right down job done. No guess workno cutting. Add a pause for even more fun!

Share with Facebook