Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #861
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
I'm not going to offer advice, because that's what the BBOD is here for, in this thread in particular.

However, I will just point out that so-called "core work" is actually part of the Madcow routine, on more than one day already. If you don't believe me, have another look. Read it again; whatever it takes.
Been a while since I looked.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #862
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,573, Level: 68 Points: 10,573, Level: 68 Points: 10,573, Level: 68
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would like to see you do 3 things:

1) Get Versa Gripps, work your barbell rows to at least 315x5+ reps and one arm dumbbell rows to 160 x 10 reps. No babying. These are powerful movements.

2) 3 to 5" inch heavy deadlifts at least every other week for 1 to 2 years. I trained them exclusively for 2 years, really helped my lockout.

3) Low rack pull and shrug combo. This movement teaches you to pull explosively and can't be faked.

Do those for a year and report back.
I have versagripps, love them! I neglected rows and have recently added a day of training every other week or so just for rows and Kroc rows. I admit freely my rows need work.

What do you mean 3-5" deads? From blocks?

When would you fit in low rack pull and shrugs on a 4 day, dead, ohp, squat, bench split?

I kind of realized that most everybody who fails a deadlift does so in first few inches.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #863
Klz
Klz
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Thank you for the answer once again!
Also is it ok to do couple sets of dumbbell bench or something with left side only seeing as my right pec is bigger than my left pec?
Or what would be the right way to fix a problem like this? I can take a picture later if it's any help.
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #864
Simonb26189
Simonb26189
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start

Quote:
I started weak myself. Most of us do.

Your presses are actually strong for your height and weight. The journey to a 225 pound overhead press is likely going to involve the addition of about 30 to 40 pounds of bodyweight - good weight.

At your bodyweight a 140 pound press is considered advanced. 170 pounds is elite. You are right in the intermediate range, which is stronger than 90% of men your weight.

My main advice is to try and set up a good, nutritious eating plan that has you gaining about a pound or two per month over the next year. This will help you to increase strength if combined with a quality program.
Thanks for the great advice Steve! Never considered myself to be strong at all even at my weight!

Do you think that deltoid muscle mass is completely down to presses alone and isolation movements like lat raises and upright rows have little or zero impact on the addition of muscle in that area? As i said, i'm trying to 'hit' my medial delt and give my shoulders a more rounded 3D look... SO is there any way to shift attention onto that area of the shoulder?

Do you think that i should just focus all my attention on getting stronger on my presses? Or is there something in my isolation movements that i am overlooking which will give my shoulders the effect i want?

Also, side question... Whats your opinion on dumbell shoulder press vs barbell shoulder press?

Cheers!
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #865
wrknowt
wrknowt
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

wrknowt is new to the forumwrknowt is new to the forum
Default youtube follower

Im making the switch from split training to full body and trying to get a routine together to get started and was hoping for experienced advice. Background - I have been training for going on 2 years, im 20 years old. Right now the routine im looking to start tomorrow is M W F:
Flat BB bench x4
BB Row x4
BB squat x4
Deadlift x4
BB OHP x3
Lat pulldown x3
BB lunge x3
CGBP x3
Incline curl x2

Running 6-8 reps for each lift with a progression scheme of adding 1 rep to each lift until all the sets for that lift reach 8 reps then adding weight and starting back at 6. Wanting to know how the program looks, mainly the volume. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work on youtube, very underrated channel.
wrknowt is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #866
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 10,035, Level: 66 Points: 10,035, Level: 66 Points: 10,035, Level: 66
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

edit: taken to PM.

My training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #867
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,987, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
What do you mean 3-5" deads? From blocks?
Yes or from a low rack. Either way. A rack is easier because of the roll factor.

Quote:
When would you fit in low rack pull and shrugs on a 4 day, dead, ohp, squat, bench split?

I kind of realized that most everybody who fails a deadlift does so in first few inches.
Personally I am a huge advocate of cycling. Floor pulls one week, low rack pulls and shrugs the next.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #868
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klz View Post
Thank you for the answer once again!
Also is it ok to do couple sets of dumbbell bench or something with left side only seeing as my right pec is bigger than my left pec?
Or what would be the right way to fix a problem like this? I can take a picture later if it's any help.
My pleasure KLZ.

A pic would help. PM me the pic and let me look before commenting.

Thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #869
Klz
Klz
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Quote:
My pleasure KLZ.

A pic would help. PM me the pic and let me look before commenting.

Thanks!
Gave me this message
"You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member"
and if I understood right my post count is too low and it's to prevent pm spamming from new members?
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #870
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Thanks for the great advice Steve! Never considered myself to be strong at all even at my weight!

Do you think that deltoid muscle mass is completely down to presses alone and isolation movements like lat raises and upright rows have little or zero impact on the addition of muscle in that area? As i said, i'm trying to 'hit' my medial delt and give my shoulders a more rounded 3D look... SO is there any way to shift attention onto that area of the shoulder?

Do you think that i should just focus all my attention on getting stronger on my presses? Or is there something in my isolation movements that i am overlooking which will give my shoulders the effect i want?

Also, side question... Whats your opinion on dumbell shoulder press vs barbell shoulder press?

Cheers!

Any exercise can have an impact.

I look at it like this...each exercise has a potential progression range. Military press you can get a lot stronger. I went from, 65 pounds to 315 pounds, strict overhead. This took 20+ years. Laterals I went from 15 pound laterals to 30 pounds, strict, over 20 years.

Compound movements have 2 advantages that isolation movements do not:

1) You can get a lot stronger on them.
2) This strength progression requires years of work.

Isolation movements typically cap out very quickly. I also see lifters cheating (way too much) on them just so they can move more weight. If you want to use more weight, use compounds. Don't turn an isolation into a compound.

Compounds always have to be the base. When it comes to dumbbells or barbells, it doesn't matter to me - if the goal is muscle building. Pick the variation you prefer.

I actually like 12 to 20 rep seated overhead dumbbell presses. The older I get, the harder it is to enjoy low rep overhead pressing.

Share with Facebook