Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #351
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
U reckon I should just deload 10% and work on the narrower stance? Or just try to do the same weight but force myself to go lower. I'm just worried I'm not gonna be able to get any lower even with less weight and/or different stance width, like maybe I'm still missing something about the execution of this lift. It's too bad I can't see the depth when I'm doing it. Being wide like that looks kinda shitty to me now that I watch it on the video, but it feels good man...

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #352
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Your first movement as you descend is to let your knees drift forward.
That's bad because for every inch the knee goes forward, that is another inch deeper you have to go to make depth.

Think about making your first movements to be pushing your hips back and your knees out.
You'll have to make a conscious effort to drive your knees out from the top of the movement and all of the way down.

Good job on taping your lifts. Great tool to improve.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #353
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,070, Level: 77 Points: 14,070, Level: 77 Points: 14,070, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

When it comes to controlling depth I like to use my stance. If I'm going below parallel then I'll widen my stance to shallow out my squat. It's just something you ahve to experiement with.

I always recomend deloading when making a form change. Going lighter lets you feel the change and also make sure you're actually performing the lift the way you want to. Slowly work back into the heavier weights and don't get discouraged if it takes you a couple sessions to move any serious weight.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #354
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn

mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
Your first movement as you descend is to let your knees drift forward.
That's bad because for every inch the knee goes forward, that is another inch deeper you have to go to make depth.

Think about making your first movements to be pushing your hips back and your knees out.
You'll have to make a conscious effort to drive your knees out from the top of the movement and all of the way down.

Good job on taping your lifts. Great tool to improve.
Yes, the knee wraps in fact make me want to drift them forwards. I didn't realize it's a bad thing because it feels better to do it that way. Maybe I'm not ready for the wraps as of yet...? Or maybe I just need to try to fight them, like Soldier said.

I know about the "knees out" cue, and for a beginner I agree that it is a good thing, but I've found that I'm stronger when I let the knees track in a straight line rather than forcing them out. Are you saying that it looks like they are pointing too inwards, or just as a general note? Is there such a thing as "too" out?

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #355
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28 Points: 2,196, Level: 28
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Since 1987
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Your strongest position is going to be with your knees as close as possible to being over your ankles when you are at the bottom of your squat.
Right now your knees are several inches in front of your ankles at the bottom of your squat.

Try this. Stand in front of a mirror and hold on with one hand (out to the side of your body, not the front of your body) to something that will allow you to keep your balance.
Play with your squat stance until you find a place for your feet that allows you to have your ankles and knees in alignment at the bottom of your squat.
Now get under the bar and try it again. Takes some practice, but it's worth it.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #356
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn

I see what you mean about the knees. I'm now thinking what I might do is ditch the knee wraps for a while because they seem to be distracting me. This alone should result in a better knee positioning. Then I'll narrow down the stance and make sure it's deep enough. If I reset the weight down to 150 kg's, I should surely be able to do it.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #357
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,070, Level: 77 Points: 14,070, Level: 77 Points: 14,070, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Just for the record, I actually squat differently based on whether I'm using wraps or not. If I'm going without then I can lift more with a wider than shoulder width stance and breaking hard at the hips. If I AM using wraps though, I use a shoulder width stance and focus on keeping my head and chest up throughout the movement. This creates more knee bend and allows me to really sit into the wraps.

When I lift in gear I actually get very little from knee wraps because I have a very wide stance and sit back hard into the suit. This creates very little knee bend which gives me less carryover from the wraps.

Just some things to consider when you're experimenting with different stances and techniques.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #358
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Just for the record, I actually squat differently based on whether I'm using wraps or not. If I'm going without then I can lift more with a wider than shoulder width stance and breaking hard at the hips. If I AM using wraps though, I use a shoulder width stance and focus on keeping my head and chest up throughout the movement. This creates more knee bend and allows me to really sit into the wraps.
That is exactly how I feel about the difference too! Now I'm confused again... to continue experimenting with the wraps and narrowen my stance or to ditch the wraps, that is the question.

Edit: Actually, to answer my own question, I think the smartest way is that on Friday I'll simply go balls to the wall and try 170 kg with a narrower stance WITH the wraps and see if that works. If it doesn't, I'll ditch the wraps and deload for Monday, and go from there.

Thanks for the help guys! It really cheered me up.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-18-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: conclusion

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #359
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
d) Stop using the knee wraps. After all, wraps are for pussies.
I'd amend that statement and say wraps are for pussies, and for wise old guys who used to think that wraps were for pussies . If you squat heavy for some years, you will thank yourself for using wraps. Stick with 'em.

In the video, are those brand new wraps, or is it your first time using wraps? Also not a fan of the way you are gripping the bar with your elbows back like that, but it seems to work for you in the video without wraps.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #360
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
I'd amend that statement and say wraps are for pussies, and for wise old guys who used to think that wraps were for pussies . If you squat heavy for some years, you will thank yourself for using wraps. Stick with 'em.

In the video, are those brand new wraps, or is it your first time using wraps? Also not a fan of the way you are gripping the bar with your elbows back like that, but it seems to work for you in the video without wraps.
No, it's not my first time but like 8th or so, so I'm pretty new with them nevertheless. They are "beginner" type wraps, so they're not ultra tight or anything like that. What is an alternative way for gripping the bar? I try to get the traps as tight as possible by taking as close a grip as I can.

Oh and that "after all" statement was a bit tongue in cheek

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-18-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Share with Facebook