Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default Hybrid Strength Training

I'm curious as to what you guys feel towards this topic.

So when I started lifting 4 years ago I was 120lbs, and before I picked up a weight I did some research. Unfortunately all I had access to was a Smith Machine so in turn I missed on some awesome beginner gains that I should have had, and my workouts were more hypertrophy focused. Now of course they are strength based, low reps with heavy ass reps.

Now, what is the benefit of doing them both? I enjoy both training styles, and enjoy the results from both. I would much rather lift heavy for low reps, but I would quite like to build some muscle, as such (Obviously not looking to be a bodybuilder, just bigger).

This is normally how my training goes, and it' working well for me right now.

1 - Bench, BB Rows, CGBP, Dips, Chin Ups
2 - Hang Clean to Push Press, Speed Deadlift
3 - Squats & Deadlifts
4 - Hang Clean to Push Press (Sometimes speed squats or deads, depending on how I feel)

This is combined with basketball every day. My bench sucks so bad so I'd quick like to add that session in twice a week, what do you guys think?

Can I build some sort of HYpertrophy training in to that and still reap the rewards and the great athletic ability I'm getting (Already athletic and fast, just want to be mad strong now) currently. I'm getting bigger doing lower reps with heavy weight on strictly compound exercises, could I use those compounds in a hypertrophy way also? Perhaps pyramid sets? Any insight guys? Thanks!!

Last edited by JumpmanRugs; 09-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,552,371, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,371, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,371, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

They are the same thing for most guys. You don't need low reps to build strength. You can ride hypertrophy progression to incredible levels of strength. This will increase vertical leap, sprint speed and sports power.

Most guys never come close to maximizing strength in hypertrophy ranges. I think they should hit a few walls before worrying about low rep sets. Reps are needed to build muscle and work on form.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

We've talked about this before here at MAB. Here is another discussion from a different site.

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/s...php?tid/23749/

You can also look into The Reeves Classic routine here on MAB, or check out some of the Real Results programs. We have most everything already here for you to research.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
They are the same thing for most guys. You don't need low reps to build strength. You can ride hypertrophy progression to incredible levels of strength. This will increase vertical leap, sprint speed and sports power.

Most guys never come close to maximizing strength in hypertrophy ranges. I think they should hit a few walls before worrying about low rep sets. Reps are needed to build muscle and work on form.
Thanks for the explanation BTB! It's much appreciated, I have kept pretty much the same program just adding more reps on my 'Strength' days, which I'm enjoying so far but MAN the DOMS are nuts lol. I was panicking too much about it slowing me down or not becoming more explosive but then realised I did a lot of hypertrophy stuff in the start, and I increased my vertical so I know it will help, plus I will still have power days so I'm happy with what I have so far, although I'll be posting my workouts for people to critique, and help me organise if they don't mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
We've talked about this before here at MAB. Here is another discussion from a different site.

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/s...php?tid/23749/

You can also look into The Reeves Classic routine here on MAB, or check out some of the Real Results programs. We have most everything already here for you to research.
Thanks buddy, I'll definitely check all of this out, it's much appreciated!
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook