Max Brawn
Points: 26,597, Level: 97 Points: 26,597, Level: 97 Points: 26,597, Level: 97
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Looks like Steve has all the bases covered to help you. I would only add that perhaps physio or massage would help. Bummed to hear of the issue, as I also know what it's like of course. Hope it's something simple. Could be just some inflammation as well. Take care buddy.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #382
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

So very sorry to hear about the back issues. Rest it up and come back strong.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #383
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 6,267, Level: 51 Points: 6,267, Level: 51 Points: 6,267, Level: 51
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Squats/Deads
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Lurking
dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill88 View Post
Sorry to hear about your low back. Wish I had a magical answer for ya! Good work all around though!
Appreciate it Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Damn dude. That sucks. I'd be happy to work with you on some rehab stuff, until you go to a Dr.
On the Ohp it does put pressure on the lower back so be careful.
Appreciate your help Fen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
Hate to hear you are having low back issues DZ! I have had them since high school so I just live with it, but since this is new for you I would suggest hitting the doc sooner rather than later.

Agree with fen about watching that OHP. Going heavy on those definitely stresses my lower back
I don't know how you can just live with it. I'm thinking that it is just a muscle strain. Thnx Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've had a few deadlift lower back issues over the years. My only advice is to rest it for a couple weeks, come back with moderate to light intensity and volume, and rarely train at 90% or more. Might want to do more lower rack pulls and mix them in with floor pulling. Might help some.
Sounds like a good plan. Thnx BtB!

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

dzarello is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #384
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn

dzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master memberdzarello is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Looks like Steve has all the bases covered to help you. I would only add that perhaps physio or massage would help. Bummed to hear of the issue, as I also know what it's like of course. Hope it's something simple. Could be just some inflammation as well. Take care buddy.
I too hope it is something simple.
Thnx Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
So very sorry to hear about the back issues. Rest it up and come back strong.
Back issues suck!
Thnx OR!

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #385
dzarello
dzarello
5/3/1
Italian Proud
Max Brawn

9/9/2013

Smolov Jr. Bench Program

Bench w/u
45x10
65x5
115x5
135x3

Working
185x6x6

DB Rows
75x10x3

Pushdowns
25x15x3

BB Curls
45x10
55x10
60x10

DONE

Yes I have switched programs due to my lower back issue. This is only temporary. I figured this program is long/short enough that my back should be recovered to the point that I can start squatting and deadlifting with little to no pain. After running this by BtB, we agreed that this would be ok to do. After a week or two, he recommended that I try some knee high rack pulls, which I will do. I do plan on testing my squats with some very light bench squats on Wednesday just to see where I am at. IF there is no pain, I will throw these in once a week just for good measure.

I have also fashioned a foam roller out of 4"x2' PVC pipe and athletic tape. I got through most of the Agile 8. I will say that I do feel a bit better. Less pain and tightness in the lower back. IT bands were/are really tight as are my glutes. The tightness is probably the cause of my lower back issues.

I am going to finish this program at the end of this month and max out first full week of October. Once that is done I will restart my 3/5/1 program. Throughout this process and into the future I will continue to use my PVC roller every night to hopefully avoid this from happening again.

Thnx to BtB and Fen for their help. I really appreciate the help, ideas and suggestions you both gave me.

-Dave Tate-

-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #386
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73 Points: 12,728, Level: 73
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

I've had lots of good results with smolov programs,
Sorry to hear the lower back is playing up, come back strong

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #387
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,016, Level: 66 Points: 10,016, Level: 66 Points: 10,016, Level: 66
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Always wanted to try smolov. Good idea to try it while the circumstances are right. Hope you get some good gains!
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #388
HumanHorrorFilm
HumanHorrorFilm
has no status.
Wolfman of Ironsport
Max Brawn
Points: 7,826, Level: 59 Points: 7,826, Level: 59 Points: 7,826, Level: 59
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

My Mood: Aggressive
HumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beastHumanHorrorFilm is a lifting beast

Good plan on the smolov jr. Rest up, roll like you lived in amsterdam,(HA) and get back healthy.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

Reigning Undisputed MAB Beard Champion

HumanHorrorFilm is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #389
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Get done what you can. Nice modification to the routine until you can use your back again. You aren't letting grass grow under your feet and you are taking charge.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #390
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,079, Level: 72 Points: 12,079, Level: 72 Points: 12,079, Level: 72
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

All I got out of that write up was that you are a tight ass?

Haha good stuff getting in there and doing the work you can while on active recovery! No excuses at the DZ Gym
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook