Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,932, Level: 76 Points: 13,932, Level: 76 Points: 13,932, Level: 76
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
It is possible that your strength issues is a result of not eating enough. Diet effects strength. Period.
While I agree, we already know from his last thread that he's actually been gaining weight consistently. Remember, his goals at this point are aesthetic. He's using strength as a way to get a look, so pure strength itself isn't his actual aim.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Henry19
Henry19
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,476, Level: 36 Points: 3,476, Level: 36 Points: 3,476, Level: 36
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift/Squat
Fav Supp: Skittles
My Mood: Cheerful
Henry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beastHenry19 is a lifting beast

Perhaps it's a mental thing? Here are some things I can think of from my experience:

1) Lifting by yourself isn't for everyone. I tend to be antisocial in the gym, but I could never work out by myself all the time-too much time alone with my own thoughts.

2) Analysis by paralysis, bad thoughts dictating how you perform. It's not easy and sometimes you'll have to get really mad and aggressive to make sure you get a good workout in.

3) Maybe try lifting at a different time of the day like first thing in the morning? I personally feel very lethargic and tired at night no matter what.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,092, Level: 69 Points: 11,092, Level: 69 Points: 11,092, Level: 69
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
While I agree, we already know from his last thread that he's actually been gaining weight consistently. Remember, his goals at this point are aesthetic. He's using strength as a way to get a look, so pure strength itself isn't his actual aim.
Quite frankly i don't think it matters whether his goals are aesthetics or not. He is trying to gain muscle. An effective tool for gaining muscle (especially as a beginner) is strength progression.
Second, whether his goal is "pure strength" (as opposed to impure strength?) Or not,a fall off in strength levels can and should be used as an indicator of a potential problem.
And while it is not the only potential cause, not eating enough could maybe be the problem. It is just as likely as any of the other causes that have been brought up.
Your logic is flawed if you believe someone with a goal of mass gain shouldn't be concerned with strength and that a stall in strength gains can't be an indicator of potential issues that could also effect mass gains.
On top of that his question in this thread is directly concerning strength, so I don't understand why you felt the need to single me out and act as if my advice to him regarding strength is not relevant.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
Dray
Dray
is healing up :/
Max Brawn
Points: 9,830, Level: 66 Points: 9,830, Level: 66 Points: 9,830, Level: 66
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%

Training Exp: 2
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I won't try to give you advice, partly because there are guys here who already have, or could, who also happen to know a gazillion times more about all this than I do.

But what I can do, and will, is offer an anecdote...

What I've found to be the case (and I've only just recently fully realised this! ) is that when I'm very tired, or highly stressed (or have been within the last 24-48 hours, say), or when I haven't eaten enough (and yeah, sometimes it's difficult to get to grips with this, when you're not used to eating "a lot" - I know!) then the chances are, I'm going to feel weak, or the weights are going to feel heavier than they normally would, etc.

Likewise, when I - for a while - ate a lot less protein per day. Not good.

So, that pretty much just echoes/confirms what BtB posted upthread (surprise! ) but it is genuinely what I have discovered, with an open mind, as I always try to have.

My new training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,932, Level: 76 Points: 13,932, Level: 76 Points: 13,932, Level: 76
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Quite frankly i don't think it matters whether his goals are aesthetics or not. He is trying to gain muscle. An effective tool for gaining muscle (especially as a beginner) is strength progression.
Second, whether his goal is "pure strength" (as opposed to impure strength?) Or not,a fall off in strength levels can and should be used as an indicator of a potential problem.
And while it is not the only potential cause, not eating enough could maybe be the problem. It is just as likely as any of the other causes that have been brought up.
Your logic is flawed if you believe someone with a goal of mass gain shouldn't be concerned with strength and that a stall in strength gains can't be an indicator of potential issues that could also effect mass gains.
On top of that his question in this thread is directly concerning strength, so I don't understand why you felt the need to single me out and act as if my advice to him regarding strength is not relevant.
His goal isn't just mass gain. He wants to build muscle while avoiding adding fat as much as possible. That changes things, especially when you consider that he's already gaining weight consistently.

And while I appreciate your condescending tone in spite of the fact that I made it quite obvious just what I meant, It doesn't change the fact the our friend here is trying to avoid gaining fat. I'm NOT going to suggest eating more food when he's already gaining weight, because that's a strong indication that lack of food is not the key issue, especially when we've already uncovered that he just started college. We also know from his last thread that he's eating a very high quality diet, so a simple lack of calories wouldn't account for his sudden change in strength levels.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Linden, this happens to you often if I remember correctly. It's just my opinion, but I don't think your body likes jumps in intensity. In other words, when you add weight to an exercise then your reps crash. I'd try a rep progression scheme before you add weight to the bar and see if that works better for you.

An example:

Week 1-
5 reps @ 50% (1st warm up)
5 reps @ 75% (2nd warm up)
5 reps @ 85% (3rd warm up)
5 reps @ 100% (1st work set)
5 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

Week 2-
6 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

Week 3-
6 reps @ 100% (1st work set)
6 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

Week 4-
6 reps @ 100% (1st work set)
7 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

Week 5-
7 reps @ 100% (1st work set)
7 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

Week 6-
7 reps @ 100% (1st work set)
8 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

Week 7-
8 reps @ 100% (1st work set)
8 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

Week 8-
Add 10 lbs to the lift and start over. . .
5 reps @ 100% (2nd work set)

There are many more forms of rep progression, but this one will fit right into what you are currently doing.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Linden, this happens to you often if I remember correctly. It's just my opinion, but I don't think your body likes jumps in intensity. In other words, when you add weight to an exercise then your reps crash. I'd try a rep progression scheme before you add weight to the bar and see if that works better for you.

An example:

Removed just to save space in the quoting

There are many more forms of rep progression, but this one will fit right into what you are currently doing.
OffRoad brings up a good point and gives you a very detailed set-up, in the post above.

You haven't logged a workout, at least not on the forum, since 27 July, and people have no way of knowing how fast (or not) you're trying to progress, nor what sort of progression scheme you are using.

I realise, at one point, you didn't log your sessions because you said they were pretty much the same and nothing had altered so there was little point in logging but if you look at a good number of logs, you'll see that people still log those workouts, regardless.

When asking for advice, people have to have as many pieces of the puzzle as possible, in order to give tailored advice.

For example, if I were to come on the forum and say..."Hey guys, my KB press has stalled, what do you suggest?" The very first reply that I would expect is "Well, what are you doing at the moment?" I'd expect questions like that purely because I do not place a lot of info in my log, so people would have nothing on which to base any advice, should I ask for it.

To all intents and purposes, nobody on the forum really knows how your lifting has been going since your last log entry of 27 July...yes, you could say "It's been going well" but that isn't the sort of information that is helpful, it has to be more detailed in order to get the best advice suited to your needs.

People will look at logs and say..."aha, they did that there...but they seem to have jumped too much increment wise, just there..." then they will get back to the person requesting the advice and be able to give more meaningful and practical solutions but only if they're able to see what you are doing in terms of workouts, on a regular basis.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,092, Level: 69 Points: 11,092, Level: 69 Points: 11,092, Level: 69

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
His goal isn't just mass gain. He wants to build muscle while avoiding adding fat as much as possible. That changes things, especially when you consider that he's already gaining weight consistently.

And while I appreciate your condescending tone in spite of the fact that I made it quite obvious just what I meant, It doesn't change the fact the our friend here is trying to avoid gaining fat. I'm NOT going to suggest eating more food when he's already gaining weight, because that's a strong indication that lack of food is not the key issue, especially when we've already uncovered that he just started college. We also know from his last thread that he's eating a very high quality diet, so a simple lack of calories wouldn't account for his sudden change in strength levels.
Suggesting that food might possibly be an issue is not bad advice. And it was simply my input on the manner, i in no way implied it was an end all be all or better advice than what anyone else has given. I gave him advice, you gave yours, just like so many other's did in this thread. However you felt the need to try to call me out for my advice and I think that was a dick move. If you think your advice is better give it and be done with it.
I didn't ask you to agree with me, what I told him was my opinion. Really who are you to call me out for giving an opinion and trying to help?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 09-10-2013 at 06:13 PM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,647, Level: 58 Points: 7,647, Level: 58 Points: 7,647, Level: 58
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

I thought the thread died, missed this whole second page, didn't think anyone else had commented!

Sorry guys, cheers for the comments

Will go through and have a read
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,647, Level: 58 Points: 7,647, Level: 58 Points: 7,647, Level: 58
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry19 View Post
Perhaps it's a mental thing? Here are some things I can think of from my experience:

1) Lifting by yourself isn't for everyone. I tend to be antisocial in the gym, but I could never work out by myself all the time-too much time alone with my own thoughts.

2) Analysis by paralysis, bad thoughts dictating how you perform. It's not easy and sometimes you'll have to get really mad and aggressive to make sure you get a good workout in.

3) Maybe try lifting at a different time of the day like first thing in the morning? I personally feel very lethargic and tired at night no matter what.

I think thats exactly what it was actually.

Cheers
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook