Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,345, Level: 51 Points: 6,345, Level: 51 Points: 6,345, Level: 51
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Dips
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machine
Default Feel weak. What could be causing it?

So I went to the garage for my workout tonight, but when I tried to lift the weight,(Bench Press) I couldn't.

It was a feeling I haven't experienced before.

Well, I have, but before it was because the weight I was using was too heavy.

This time, it just felt like I was too weak.

To me it felt like my muscles hadn't recovered from my previous workouts.

I experienced something similar last workout too. (which was not yesterday but the day before.)

I go by the 5X5 parameters.

Work with the given weight until I hit 5x5, then when I do, increase the weight, and work back up.

It normally always goes a certain way.

I'll use close grip bench press as an example.

I'll work with a weight until I get 5x5. Then, when I've reached 5x5, I increase the weight.

When I've increased the weight, I'll get maybe 4 sets instead of 5, then the next time, I'll get 4 sets, and maybe 3 reps of the 5th set.

Then the next time I use that weight, I hit 5x5, and will increase the weight next time to repeat the process.

The other day though, I only got in 1, 2 or 3 struggled sets with each exercise after I'd increased the weight.

So I've got weaker and weaker in the last week or so.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART

2 workouts ago with bench press, I added my usual 2.5kg worth of weight on to the existing weight after I hit my 5x5 for progression.

Next workout when I tried it, instead of getting 3 or 4 sets in with the new weight like I normally would, I got 1 set.

Now this time when I tried that same weight again, I just about reached failiure at 3 reps.

So its been slowly happening throughout thew week, until this time, where I can't even get the first set in.

I'm not really sure what's happening.

There could be a few reasons I suppose.

This is the first week I added heavy skull crushers in, and my military press has increased in weight which made it considerably more difficult.
So that could've been something to do with it but I really don't know. Could be anything.

Anyway, I had to come in today and actually not do my workout because I just felt too weak.

I guess my questions are,

What could be causing it?

And what should I do?

I'm just worried now I'm screwing something up again.

Thanks guys.

- Linden

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 09-09-2013 at 02:40 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Have you changed your eating pattern, time of eating before lifting etc? You need energy to lift not just strength, if you know what I mean.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machineLindenGarcia18 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Have you changed your eating pattern, time of eating before lifting etc? You need energy to lift not just strength, if you know what I mean.
I haven't actually no. As a matter of fact I had dinner half an hour earlier.

as for workout timing its always been the same time.

I see what you mean though, perhaps I don't have enough energy for some reason.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Gorship
Gorship
wants to earn the right to say he Lifts
Brawn
Points: 1,450, Level: 21 Points: 1,450, Level: 21 Points: 1,450, Level: 21
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
My Mood: Inspired
Gorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributorGorship is a consistent contributor

perhaps you need to eat more, not such much are you eating but are you eating enough?
Philippians 1:21: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Log!

www.needGod.com
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100 Points: 1,352,851, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I doubt it's the exercises or workout. It's likely stress, lack of sleep, not eating enough, lack of water or undereating one of the macronutrients.

You're a teen. You should feel vibrant and healthy. My guess is that it's food related. But again, it's a guess.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Didn't you have a thread recently (within the last 7 days) where you said you weren't eating as many calories as you were supposed to, but it wasn't impacting your gains?
I could be wrong, i'll try to find it.

***edit***
Here is the thread I was referring to:

http://bit.ly/1fRWCw9
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-09-2013 at 04:14 PM.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
I doubt it's the exercises or workout. It's likely stress, lack of sleep, not eating enough, lack of water or undereating one of the macronutrients.

You're a teen. You should feel vibrant and healthy. My guess is that it's food related. But again, it's a guess.

STRESS, yeah, that could very well be it.

Just started college this week, was very stressed.

I feel vibrant and healthy, its only when I was lifting that I felt weak, not in everyday life.

Cheers Steve.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Didn't you have a thread recently (within the last 7 days) where you said you weren't eating as many calories as you were supposed to, but it wasn't impacting your gains?
I could be wrong, i'll try to find it.

***edit***
Here is the thread I was referring to:

http://bit.ly/1fRWCw9

I said I didn't know weather I was eating enough, But everyone told me it was fine seen as I was still gaining weight.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I said I didn't know weather I was eating enough, But everyone told me it was fine seen as I was still gaining weight.
It is possible that your strength issues is a result of not eating enough. Diet effects strength. Period.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71 Points: 11,739, Level: 71
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
STRESS, yeah, that could very well be it.

Just started college this week, was very stressed.

I feel vibrant and healthy, its only when I was lifting that I felt weak, not in everyday life.

Cheers Steve.
You're going to have times like this. Your body is an extremely complex machine, and sometimes many small factors combine to have a dramatic effect on what your body can or can't do. Stress is a HUGE factor, because it causes many biological changes both directly and indirectly. I won't get into the myriad effects on a specific bases, but suffice to say that IT'S OK! You may notice that around here we preach certain ideas over and over. Progression is one, but another big one is consistency. You've reached a sticking point. You may have to actually back off a little on the weight for a while because your ability to recover from each session has taken a hit (your body is already trying to deal with the effects of other stressors. Remember, that's all that exercise is; getting your body to adapt to new stressors by getting stronger. More stressors=less ability to recover from each one), but this is the time to make sure you stay consistent and stick to your plan.

Ironically (or not, depending on how you look at it), the best thing you can do is to not stress about it (see what I did there?). Back off on the amount of weight on the bar if you need to and go through your recovery checklist; maximize amount and quality of sleep, keep getting your foods, make sure to HYDRATE, and understand that you didn't do anything wrong.

As new stressors come into your life training may have to take a back seat to other things. That doesn't mean stop lifting, it just means don't go at it with quite as much intensity and veracity. Will this affect your gains? Yes, but not nearly as negatively as either not dealing appropriately with your stress or, worse yet, giving up on training entirely until the tough times pass.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook