Max Brawn
Points: 26,338, Level: 96 Points: 26,338, Level: 96 Points: 26,338, Level: 96
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeheep View Post
Great pulling SSSJ.

My deadlift saw great improvement when I started incorporating high and low rack pulls.......even with my lower back arthritis.....just goes to show (AGAIN) what works for some, dosen't always work for others.....
Thanks Marvin!! I reckon we have different back arthritis then. They were absolute murder on it back when I was on BIG. Might be able to do them now, but will not risk it - besides, deadlift is progressing just fine without them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
Great lifting super Jim ... What suits to one needs not to suit others also .. you are making some great progress and that is what matters. Simply awesome ...
Thanks Ravi!! I still hate rack pulls tho!!
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #5112
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 9,912, Level: 66 Points: 9,912, Level: 66 Points: 9,912, Level: 66
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 3.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

You are destroying deadlifts lately. Making up for lost time I guess.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #5113
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
You are destroying deadlifts lately. Making up for lost time I guess.
That is one way of putting it Chris!!

Gym PR's:
Age 50

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #5114
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
With that said, still reached my goal of a triple and I know 465X4 or even 5 would have been there if it weren't for the knot and form issue tonight.
Superhuman Jim. 500 for reps isn't far off.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #5115
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Superhuman Jim. 500 for reps isn't far off.
Thanks Steve - your words mean more to me tonight than you'll ever know.

Gym PR's:
Age 50

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #5116
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn

BENCH SESSION

Down in the dumps tonight guys - big time. As some of you may remember, my Uncle, who is one of the wealthiest and most successful businessmen in Canada, offered to help me fund a career change last year at my moms funeral. It came up at that time because it was first discussed a few months before her death, and the funeral was the first time I had seen him since that meeting.

Well, as you all know, I do have a passion for lifting, health, and fitness, and I think I would make a great Personal Trainer, Strength, and Life Coach. The course is offered here in Calgary. It is a 2 year full time diploma program at the University here. The cost of it all would be about $150,000 including living expenses. He didn't have a problem with that. He did have a problem with thinking that I would not be able to make a decent living at it. He wants me to go back to the drawing board and pick something else, and propose it to him again. So, I get it now. He will only help me if it's something he approves of. Stopping short of telling where to go, I withstood the 2 hour long lecture about all the mistakes I have made. Problem is, is that I am not sure or know of anything else I would like to do career wise. Not that I am in any sort of, for lack of a better word, loser job, being an accountant (Not Chartered), but I am fully bored with it and don't want to do it for 20 more years. Besides, he offered to help in the first place. Just now I find out it comes with conditions.

I even thought he would have the decency to understand all the emotional turmoil I have been thru this past year. He had the audacity to say I wasted the last year and all he has heard is excuses. Excuse me, I was busy trying to save my eyesight and quite literally my life. No time to think about schooling. Heck, I was even in doubt if I'd be able to even see at all. I thought he might even have the heart to donate to MAB, based on the fact that this site has saved my life. But no, he was solely focused on my poor choice of a new career.

I am so upset and devastated about this all I almost feel like jumping off the tallest building here. I just want to cry. I say that because I have been thru this all before. When I was just about to graduate high school. I wanted to be a pilot. I had a huge passion for flying ever since one of my moms old boyfriends took me up flying when I was 9. I even sat in the cockpit for most of the flight. When I was 10, the pilot of the jet that took me to Disneyland let me in the cockpit for a look and a visit. By the way, mom was carted of by the police that morning because she got into a fight with security at the airport because she was drunk. The airline allowed me and my sister to continue on the flight as my other uncle in California was going to meet us.

I even used to play airplane and airport on my bed and in the house for years and years.

Anyway, my dream never panned out because I had zero confidence and everyone telling me I had zero chance of landing a job with any airline, as it was smack dab in the middle of one of the worst recessions ever in Canada. My mistake was listening to them. I also had zero support and nobody to tell me to go pursue my dream no matter what. My uncle was not really in our lives then. Heck, I hadn't even met him. I remember when we were kids, asking mom who that guy was in the phone book with the same last name (we have an uncommon last name). She said, oh, he's your uncle. How come we never met him? Mom said, well, he's too busy working.

I ask myself now, and I have made mistakes?

At any rate, my confidence to do anything with my life did not happen until last year, when I was able to forgive my father and Steve convinced me to compete. This is how much Steve has meant to me. He has changed my life. I now have the confidence that I have been so sorely lacking all my life, due to the abuse of my father. Too bad now I do not have the support of my uncle to do what I am passionate about and would be successful at. Who cares if I wasn't going to earn double my salary now, which is what he expects.

At any rate, I did train this morning and I of course will post it up, as I am always proud of my lifting.

Thanks for listening.

Bench Press
95 X5
135 X3
160 x3
185 X2
205 X2
225 X2
245 X1
255 X1 Vid
Add Slingshot
272.5 X1
290 X1 PR Match
Remove Slingshot
230 X4
230 X5
210 X8
210 X7
Just a tad disappointed with the PR match of 290 being such a grinder. This tells me that my bench really hasn't improve dmuch since June, which is when I first got the 290. I think I will start doing a program just like today tho every week. This has soem solid single work, soem overload work, and some rep work in it.

Gym PR's:
Age 50

Last edited by Squatter; 09-07-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #5117
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

benching looking strong.

Super Jim, sit down and write a book. Begin to take some motivational speaking courses. Find someone that can help you create some youtube videos. You my friend have a gift, your story and passion is unmistakable. My life is pretty crazy these days, and I just told BTB that I was doing my "Best Super Jim impression" Meaning that I know life is much worse for others, so I just keep looking at the bright side and stride on.

Money is not every thing, and if it was....well I wouldnt have much. I could probably change jobs and find something that makes more money, but honestly I enjoy working with children who dont have much of a change without someone helping them fight. You have that same passion inside, forget money, do what makes you happy and help the world be a better place!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #5118
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 11,994, Level: 71 Points: 11,994, Level: 71 Points: 11,994, Level: 71
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Have to agree with everything JB said Jim! I couldn't have said it any better, or even as well haha If you have something that you are truly passionate about, then you need to pursue it with the same intensity that you are chasing that 500 pull with! No one has control over your choices but you! I know you will succeed in anything you set your sights on.

That is all (well except nice benching too)!
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #5119
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,330, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
He did have a problem with thinking that I would not be able to make a decent living at it. He wants me to go back to the drawing board and pick something else, and propose it to him again.
That had to hurt. Life is about more than making cash. I don't make a great living but I love what I do.

I hope you get this sorted Jim.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #5120
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

JB nailed it. Amazing the obstacles put in your way. I mean everyone has naysayers to ignore, but sheesh. My wife has a rich aunt who does the same thing, all help has strings attached. We just ignore her and move on. My .02 is never let someone use their money to control you. Stick to your guns and he'll either come back to you on your terms or it's his loss. You'll figure it out.

Bench looked good. Loved the Starsky and Hutch car! Rock on Jimbo.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook