Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #801
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,102, Level: 69 Points: 11,102, Level: 69 Points: 11,102, Level: 69
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarello View Post
Congrats on the rep PR for OH Press. Baby steps to 225.

I have been working on my power cleans with just the bar and without an oly coach! Looking to get better so I can turn that into a lifting day.

Great job for still getting in your bench session. Thats a lot more work than most ppl do in entire day. Stay strong Big J!
thank you dzarello. You are exactly right, 225, 1 step at a time.
I recommend you reading rippetoes write up on the power clean, more than once. It isn't the only resource or the end all be all of power cleans, but I found it very helpful. You may consider starting to add weight to the bar, an empty bar will only do so much for you. It is hard to get a feel for power cleans without some load.
Thanks again man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Speaks volumes about your talent and prowess on bench, despite being a bit sloppy. Thankfully your not hurt and will live to fight another day tho!
thanks jimbro! All I do is push hard. I think it was am off day. And a bit more insight, today I am actually at home sick, so that probably had a big impact on yesterday's session.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
Strong get to the point no nonsense session right there Josh.
thanks KD. I got the essentials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterace View Post
Great workouts Josh! Glad you're finding a way to do what you can! Most people would quit! Strong stuff too! Smash on!!!
Thanks Jay. I have good role models here at MaB to show me how to overcome adversity. Guys like you have done it and continue to do it.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #802
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default 8/30/13 PM session. Ancillary work.

BB curls
65x8,75x8,85x8

Mini band tricep push down
X20,20,22

Shrugs
235x10,10,10

Notes:
I did this session to finish up what I couldn't do in the morning. It is the first time I ever have done a split session like this. It was different for me.
I could see how split sessions could be useful. However in most cases I think it is for efficient to just get all the work done in one session.
Still though, if one had the time, it may serve a purpose.
Another impression I had is that it was very tempting to add more volume than usual, doing more sets and more exercises. This could maybe be a problem if a trainee is not careful, as it could hinder recovery. Although for the more experienced lifter or the enhanced lifter, split sessions could be a useful technique to maximize gains.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #803
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Interesting insight. I hate split sessions as usually one of them is horrible. Either I had a shitty one early and salvaged the day with another one late, or I had a good one early and didn't have the focus to do much worthwhile in the later one. I agree the impact on recovery would be detrimental in general, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad as long as you didn't do these all the time.

Great work Josh. Keep plugging along.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #804
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 26,996, Level: 97 Points: 26,996, Level: 97 Points: 26,996, Level: 97
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I think if I lifted for a living split sessions would be the norm. Good insight into something we rarely see in the forum. At any arte, good dedication to not miss a beat in your training.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #805
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Default 9/6/13 Cycle ? Week 3 OHP

Ohp
145x3
165x1
185x0 (goalx1)
145x6

Pull Ups
Bwx3,2,2,1,.5

Incline Bench
155x10, 170x10,185x8

Db curl
40x10,9, 35x6
Incline lying tricep extension
70x15,15

Overall workout grade: C+

Notes:
First training session in 7 days. A sinus infection forced my hand and I missed a week. Felt very good to be back. Not training and being sick has a really negative impact on my mind state.
Missed my heavy set on ohp. I think my CNS just wasn't woke up yet. I will keep the ohp weight the same next cycle. No biggie.
Overall I missed a rep here and there, but I will get them back in a couple weeks.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #806
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Default 9/7/13 front squat

Front squat
135x5
185x5
205x5
215x3

Back squats to bench
135x10,12,12

Mini band leg curls

Lying leg raise

Overall Workout Grade: C+

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #807
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,516, Level: 73 Points: 12,516, Level: 73 Points: 12,516, Level: 73
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Nice work in here, keep at it!

Nice incline bench.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #808
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,146, Level: 72 Points: 12,146, Level: 72 Points: 12,146, Level: 72
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Lurking
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Glad to hear you're feeling better Josh! OHP is a tough one to come back on after a week off, so like you said no worries there. Keep smashing and taking what your body gives you!
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #809
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How are those front squats feeling?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #810
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Nice work in here, keep at it!

Nice incline bench.
Thanks ED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
Glad to hear you're feeling better Josh! OHP is a tough one to come back on after a week off, so like you said no worries there. Keep smashing and taking what your body gives you!
Thanks KD. My thought exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
How are those front squats feeling?
Meh.. not very good. If I had a leg press I wouldn't be doing them. While they are "better" on my lower back than back squats, they still leave me hurting. I am seriously considering dropping them, I just don't know how to program my routine without some sort of squat variant.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.

Share with Facebook