Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,112, Level: 97 Points: 27,112, Level: 97 Points: 27,112, Level: 97
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Am I the only one that doesn't drink around here?

IMO, many people will say anything to justify drinking.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post

I drink every day...water, tea, coffee...

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,565, Level: 73 Points: 12,565, Level: 73 Points: 12,565, Level: 73
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Quote:

Good, more money for steak!

I'm not a mood drinker. Have a break up, I call a friend then cry. Have a bad day, lift harder.

It does seem like a lot of people in general drink for 2 reaons, a messed up view of their life, or as a social activity.

I genuinely enjoy the taste of liquor, and enough of it is relaxing. To each their own.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
SCStrong
SCStrong
is a devourer of beasts
Max Brawn
Points: 3,935, Level: 39 Points: 3,935, Level: 39 Points: 3,935, Level: 39
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Seared Beast
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
That is a definite maybe.
That's ok I will drink your share

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Dray
Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,945, Level: 66 Points: 9,945, Level: 66 Points: 9,945, Level: 66
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

My favourite thing to post along these lines: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

I drink because I enjoy some kinds of alcoholic beverages, and because they're extremely convenient, socially.

Whether or not it has any significantly positive or negative effects on strength/muscle gains? Don't know for sure, and don't care all that much. I'll just see how I go anyway, and if it turns out that I was "wrong", oh well.

edit: Ironically, the guy who wrote the post I linked to is probably one of many that Mr. Chaos&Pain hates and has little or no respect for. Chances are...

My training log

Last edited by Dray; 09-06-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,112, Level: 97 Points: 27,112, Level: 97 Points: 27,112, Level: 97
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I certainly don't have an issue with people who drink responsibly, which I am sure most if not all our members do here.

Unfortunately tho, I grew up in a home where both parents were alcoholics. I have seen and lived it all. My mom did quit when I was about 9 or 10. The memories of it all are so profound, I remember every bit of it all, and little of anything else when I was that young. Throughout my mom's recovery thru AA, she became a mentor and a hero to many who also wanted to quit. It was a great to see that all, despite a few suicides, including my best friends dad, who shot himself minutes after I left the house after playing with my friend.

My dad never did quit, and the abuse continued on until his death in 2005. he directed all his rage at me, since he never accepted me as his son, which is also to blame on the bottle. the power of alcohol is that strong.

yep, seen it all.

Fortunately, me and my 2 siblings took the path of hating booze and never became drinkers, although I did turn to it in my late 30's and then subsequently quit on my 40th birthday.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,461, Level: 100 Points: 136,461, Level: 100 Points: 136,461, Level: 100
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Nope. I don't drink at all. I like my state of consciousness how it is

I try really hard to avoid situations where there will be any drinking. If someone who has been drinking comes near me, I feel a cold disgust rising up inside me like vomit. The better I know them, the stronger the sensation. I disguise it of course, and pretend it's all very jolly, then get myself out of there before I do something I'd regret.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41 Points: 4,180, Level: 41
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Good, more money for steak!

I'm not a mood drinker. Have a break up, I call a friend then cry. Have a bad day, lift harder.

It does seem like a lot of people in general drink for 2 reaons, a messed up view of their life, or as a social activity.

I genuinely enjoy the taste of liquor, and enough of it is relaxing. To each their own.
I like beer, and I like whiskey. I don't know why. I don't know why I feel compelled to drink. The thought of coming home any afternoon with a 12 pack makes me happy. The act of listening to metal and drinking whiskey makes me feel powerful, but not in a reckless way. Drinking it makes me happy. It's how it can effect my mood that makes me dislike it.

I think I mentioned in the first post that the biggest downsides I've experienced are laziness, and that after a few days in a week of drinking(rather large amounts or moderate amounts(6-8 drinks)) is it becomes my main focus for the coming weeks.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #19
mohiz
mohiz
is cutting
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
My Mood: Lurking
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Nope. I don't drink at all. I like my state of consciousness how it is
I don't drink either. I actually used to drink though, and I didn't think it was affecting my progress, but looking back, it did quite a lot. I would miss workouts due to being hung over and my diet was a mess because I was eating correctly during the day and then getting wasted in the evenings. Then I quit training for a few years and started drinking even more heavily, got fat and out of shape etc. so that really ruined my gains, lol.

Now that I'm sober and training again, I've noticed that I make strength gains so much easier. In addition, no missed workouts, perfect diet and feeling good all the time Even my joints and tendons seem to recover much faster, even compared to the times when I used to "only" drink one night a week.

Note that I don't have anything against the drink or people who do drink, but it's just personally not suited for my character type. I'm a person that does everything either 0% or 110%. Given the choice of alcohol vs. training, I'd choose the latter every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I like beer, and I like whiskey. I don't know why. I don't know why I feel compelled to drink. The thought of coming home any afternoon with a 12 pack makes me happy. The act of listening to metal and drinking whiskey makes me feel powerful, but not in a reckless way. Drinking it makes me happy. It's how it can effect my mood that makes me dislike it.
I know exactly what you mean. Drinking can be so much fun but like everything else, it has its downsides as well.

***Current goals***
- Get to <10% BF

Last edited by mohiz; 09-22-2013 at 02:16 AM.
mohiz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33 Points: 2,927, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

I am a reformed drinker. I have been on the wagon for two years next month. Before that, I drank to excess and eventually became a daily blackout drunk. I come from a long line of alcoholics so its no surprise that I turned out to be one.

When I was drinking, I couldn't focus on my lifting consistently. I would go for a period of time, make good gains and get drunk all over again for weeks or even months until finally the bottle just grabbed a permanent hold on me and I stayed "gain-less" for about a year and half. The only thing that kept me fit was being on active duty in the Marine Corps for 9 years. For me, drinking is a no-go if I want to make any real progress in the gym, or be of any real use to anyone and live a happy life. I think it is perfectly fine for those who can do it in moderation, but it is not going to make or break you under the iron. Looking for reasons to drink might even be a red flag.

It sounds like the author of the article is talking about a certain type of personality, one who has the propensity to party hard. I think that a risk-taker Alpha type personality who can be ego driven at times does have the potential to excel at strength sports. I haven't found a better high to replace my old drunkenness with than the high of lifting some heavy ass weight that I am not sure if I can lift. Personally, if I put half the energy into chasing "PR highs" as I did into staying drunk, I might do all-right in this sport. I think that is what the author is getting at here.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook