Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28 Points: 2,218, Level: 28
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
You guys have done so many thousands of squats, do you really not know during the lift itself whether or not they are good? Does gear prevent you from feeling when you are deep enough? Don't you have a set way to hit depth every practice so that it is automatic? Is there really that much of an advantage strengthwise hitting exactly parallel as opposed to an inch deeper?

Am I not understanding something here? I can understand a squat here or there maybe not being to depth when you're tired or your legs are like blocks of wood from all the blood in them during a brutal session, but don't all you guys practice hitting depth all the time? And don't your know it when you don't hit it?
Nice post MikeM.

In the gym an experienced lifter probably has a pretty good idea where he is on depth. But things change at a meet.

He may have had to make weight which is going to make his gear fit differently. So that "feel" he is looking for is going to come at a different time during the squat.
Both the platform and the equipment are different from what he has been training on. So all the visual cues that he is accustomed to using to set his feet are gone. That means his set-up is going to be at least slightly different from the set-up he used in training. Legs may be slightly farther apart or slightly closer together, feet may be turned in or out more than in training. The bar may be set higher or lower in the mono-lift than he the height he typically uses.

Not such a big deal when the weight is light enough that adjustments can be made under the bar, or when the lifter can use brute strength to get the weight.
But they're a huge deal when the lifter is using gear and technique to help him move weight that is at the absolute limit of his capabilities.
Often a lifter is pushing so hard that they are very near to passing out, with the world turning black by the time they rack the weight.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Ryano
Ryano
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 6,077, Level: 50 Points: 6,077, Level: 50 Points: 6,077, Level: 50
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I only watched the last two video's. It is interesting that from the front view, they looked close enough to give a white light. From the side, they were obviously high, IMO.

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn

Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Speaking strictly for myself here and not in any way for any other referee's.
Throwing a red light requires me to be 100% certain that the lifter did something to invalidate the lift. I "think" it was high is not enough. I have to know. I'm much more comfortable making that decison from the side.

Last edited by Beverly McD; 09-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
ehubbard
ehubbard
has no status.
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
My Mood: Grumpy
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Even raw I usually have only a couple of cues running through my head to attempt to keep my technique dialed in. They usually have nothing to do with depth. My last meet on my third attempt all I told myself was to dunk it ( which for me might mean I'm barely parallel . Of course i forgot to keep my head up and i fell forward and missed. Some days I feel like I break and I'm high and others I feel high and I break.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
on a mission
Max Brawn
Points: 21,210, Level: 91 Points: 21,210, Level: 91 Points: 21,210, Level: 91
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
Speaking strictly for myself here and not in any way for any other referee's.
Throwing a red light requires me to be 100% certain that the lifter did something to invalidate the lift. I "think" it was high is not enough. I have to know. I'm much more comfortable making that decison from the side.
Judging a meet is no jk! I don't want that job at all. I have done several small meets as a judge.

I actually have more trouble judging a raw bench than equipped squats!

Raw bench the touch you have to watch for sinking or heaving, and the butt staying down, and feet being in contact with the floor all at the same time. That is no jk! With equipped there is really no way to heave so that at least eliminates that part!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn

It's easier for me to judge a bench from across the room than it is from the platform
It's easier to look for uneven lock-out in the same second you are looking at the butt and feet if you're at a distance.

Share with Facebook