Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Yeehaw
1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

sorry to bring this thread back up but is happening in more than one fed...with "VIP" judges or not!!!

Don't see federations/organizations getting alone any time soon...

...ALL I CAN DO IS LIFT AND MAKE SURE MY OWN LIFTS ARE G2G!!! THEN THE REST WILL FALL IN PLACE!!!

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,115, Level: 27 Points: 2,115, Level: 27 Points: 2,115, Level: 27
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Since 1987
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

This is not a comment on the above video. This is a response to 1morerep

Being a "VIP" or being a "good guy" or being in the sport for xx many years isn't what makes a judge a good judge.
A good judge is someone who follows the rulebook. Period.
Regardless of who the lifter may be or what kind of gear they may or may not be wearing.

Following the rulebook is what gives every lifter a level playing field to compete on.
And, basically, that is what a judge is for. To make sure each lifter has a fair and unbiased platform to show their skill level.

If the judge doesn't follow the rulebook then it's not a competition, it's just an event.

Last edited by Beverly McD; 08-21-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #33
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,520, Level: 90 Points: 20,520, Level: 90 Points: 20,520, Level: 90
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
This is not a comment on the above video. This is a response to 1morerep

Being a "VIP" or a being "good guy" or being in the sport for xx many years isn't what makes a judge a good judge.
A good judge is someone who follows the rulebook. Period.
Regardless of who the lifter may be or what kind of gear they may or may not be wearing.

Following the rulebook is what gives every lifter a level playing field to compete on.
And, basically, that is what a judge is for. To make sure each lifter has a fair and unbiased platform to show their skill level.

If the judge doesn't follow the rulebook then it's not a competition, it's just an event.
I wish I had the video of my bench attempts from the APF seniors. I had my 2nd attempt hung right at lockout. I think most meets I would have got a rack call. Held it for what seemed like forever! Never got a rack call because it wasn't really locked........Wonder who the head judge was

She also caught me trying to use an illegal wide grip haha.

I also really respect the fact that as a judge you don't comment on if you think a lift was good or bad. Having sat in a chair I know its a lot easier looking at a video lol

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Agree bro. Just brought that thread back because the Hoff incident. Everybody talking about WHO was those referees at the IPA meet. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with what happen there but who am I??? In this case, lifters in general and referees must be account it for their own actions.

I do love the sport and hope to be around for long time. Just hate when arguments or incidents like this happen.

1MOREREP 2014

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #35
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn

I know what you mean. I get red light in one RPS meet because my left arm lock after the right arm. I didn't notice but everybody else did. Was a matter of micro seconds (in my mind) but I didn't complaint. I did live another day to increase my bench and for sure that incident make me a lot better. Respect the judge decision...we call this in the Army...drink water and drive on!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I wish I had the video of my bench attempts from the APF seniors. I had my 2nd attempt hung right at lockout. I think most meets I would have got a rack call. Held it for what seemed like forever! Never got a rack call because it wasn't really locked........Wonder who the head judge was

She also caught me trying to use an illegal wide grip haha.

I also really respect the fact that as a judge you don't comment on if you think a lift was good or bad. Having sat in a chair I know its a lot easier looking at a video lol

1MOREREP 2014

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Max Brawn
Points: 2,115, Level: 27 Points: 2,115, Level: 27 Points: 2,115, Level: 27

Training Exp: Since 1987
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

I wanted you to lock it out! Especially after that terrific squat you had. It's a lot more fun on my part to see a lifter have a successful lift.
I had to look really hard to watch grip and wrist wraps that day...those television lights were shining right into my eyes and they were BRIGHT.

As a referee, making public statements about controversial lifts would be unwise.

We video all the time in the gym. There is a flat screen mounted on the wall and the guy's review their technique immediately after making a lift. It's a great tool for training purposes.
Lousy tool for making judgement calls though. The squats usually look deep to me on our set up, even when I know for a fact the lift was high.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #37
IainK
IainK
is on the highway to hell
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25

Training Exp: 20
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
My Mood: Relaxed
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

Didn't lockout. TnG. Possible butt up.

No lift in reality. In another reality good lift it seems :]

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 11,994, Level: 71 Points: 11,994, Level: 71 Points: 11,994, Level: 71
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Lurking
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
I know what you mean. I get red light in one RPS meet because my left arm lock after the right arm. I didn't notice but everybody else did. Was a matter of micro seconds (in my mind) but I didn't complaint. I did live another day to increase my bench and for sure that incident make me a lot better. Respect the judge decision...we call this in the Army...drink water and drive on!!!
I didn't know it was a requirement to lock out both arms at the same time?
KD5NFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #39
1morerep
1morerep
is in a mission
Max Brawn

yeap...pretty much I rode one arm with the other.

straight from RPS rules...

After the command to resume the lift is given, the bar is pressed upward. During the ascent, the bar may stop in its upward motion, but is not allowed any downward movement. The bar is also allowed to extend unevenly (no more than 5 inches), but arms must extend to a locked-out position simultaneously and evenly at the completion of the lift. Once the bar is returned to straight arms length with elbows locked held under control the verbal "RACK" command is given by the head judge. The spotters will assist in returning the bar to the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
I didn't know it was a requirement to lock out both arms at the same time?

1MOREREP 2014

Last edited by 1morerep; 08-21-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #40
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,520, Level: 90 Points: 20,520, Level: 90 Points: 20,520, Level: 90
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly McD View Post
I wanted you to lock it out! Especially after that terrific squat you had. It's a lot more fun on my part to see a lifter have a successful lift.
I had to look really hard to watch grip and wrist wraps that day...those television lights were shining right into my eyes and they were BRIGHT.

As a referee, making public statements about controversial lifts would be unwise.

We video all the time in the gym. There is a flat screen mounted on the wall and the guy's review their technique immediately after making a lift. It's a great tool for training purposes.
Lousy tool for making judgement calls though. The squats usually look deep to me on our set up, even when I know for a fact the lift was high.
I forgot to mention you guys got me for an up and down on my first 700lb meet deadlift

I am ok with all these though, because I felt like it was fair across the board and it would have never passed in my gym either

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook