Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #711
Adamite1114
Adamite1114
Is getting bigger.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
My Mood: Mellow
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

P.S. Mr. Shaw, you should publish a supplement/weight gaining/protein cook book of some sort because of all of the recipes you've been posting on Muscle And Strength lately. I know I'd buy it.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #712
Klz
Klz
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Hello there Bearded Beast of Duloc! I was wondering if there are any general guidelines on what to look for if one was to buy a powerlifting belt?
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #713
Simonb26189
Simonb26189
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
GVT requires progressive resistance to grow. Everything does.

If you use it from today forward, you won't make any gains after a while because you are not adding resistance. Your body will adapt. It might take a while, but it will adapt.

So you will definitely need to add weight.
Do you think that if i tried to apply progressive resistance with GVT i wouldnt be able to do so as efficiently as i would with 3x10 because the volume will hinder my recovery and therefor my progress?

Also do you think isolation exercises are pretty much a waste of time as they are distracting the recovery from the core lifts, therefor hindering progression?

Si
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #714
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Thank you so much for the suggested workout out. I've been trying to find the right one for so long with the equipment I have and I really appreciate it. One question though, as to reps; I understand there's no magic range of reps but a lot of articles that I've read have said that it's best to go in a low range (between 5-8) for adding mass or size. I was just wondering if you could shed some light on this common recommendation, is it true for mass or more of a myth?
In general that's a myth. With that said there are reasonable rep ranges.

It's a great rep range, but it's not magic. I recommend for compounds that most guys stick between 5-12 reps. Machine and isolation movements 8 to 15 reps. Reps can go higher.

Here's the thing...each exercise feels different. Some exercises you will find work better with 5-7 reps for you. Some you will find 10 seems perfect.

Don't ever sweat the rep range, as long as it's reasonable. The magic is progression and consistency.

People in this industry like to define everything and make generalizations. Like I said, every exercise is different. Trust your instincts and vary rep ranges per exercise (if needed) based on how they feel. As long as your progressing you'll make great gains.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #715
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100 Points: 1,516,541, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
P.S. Mr. Shaw, you should publish a supplement/weight gaining/protein cook book of some sort because of all of the recipes you've been posting on Muscle And Strength lately. I know I'd buy it.
Working on a book as we speak, and thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #716
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klz View Post
Hello there Bearded Beast of Duloc! I was wondering if there are any general guidelines on what to look for if one was to buy a powerlifting belt?
Hi KLZ,

A couple recommendations:

1) Single prong or lever, not double prong. Single prong is much easier. It's hard enough getting one prong into place.

2) Get a 10mm thick belt, not a 13mm. 10mm will serve most guys well.

3) Stick to companies like the following when buying a belt: (links to belts included)

Anderson

Elite

RDC

4) Lastly, if you have questions about the belt you are buying, CALL these companies. They provide great customer support and will help you.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #717
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Do you think that if i tried to apply progressive resistance with GVT i wouldnt be able to do so as efficiently as i would with 3x10 because the volume will hinder my recovery and therefor my progress?

Also do you think isolation exercises are pretty much a waste of time as they are distracting the recovery from the core lifts, therefor hindering progression?

Si
Honestly, GVT was developed to help weight lifters move up a class in 12 weeks. It was developed as a 2-3 month solution, in which a trainee ate and ate and ate.

I personally don't know of anyone that survived longer than 8 to 12 weeks on it.

In my opinion it's far too physically demanding to be run longer than 3 months, for the most part. It's a specialization program more than a long-term grind it out program.

You can certainly try to run it longer than 12 weeks.

My advice is just dive in and see how you feel after 6-8 weeks. At this point you may need a mental break. If not, drive on.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #718
achievieurmax
achievieurmax
has no status.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

achievieurmax is new to the forumachievieurmax is new to the forum
Default Hip tendonitis

Hey Beast aka BendtheBar,

I've annoying hip tendonitis for at least 2,5 months now. Do you have an idea how to fix this. The reason for getting that obviously is my squat. But what about the squat have I done wrong?

Thanks
achievieurmax is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #719
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by achievieurmax View Post
Hey Beast aka BendtheBar,

I've annoying hip tendonitis for at least 2,5 months now. Do you have an idea how to fix this. The reason for getting that obviously is my squat. But what about the squat have I done wrong?

Thanks
Couple of questions that will help me answer:

1) How long have you been squatting?
2) Are you doing wide stance squats?
3) Do you have any videos currently up of your squat form?

I am assuming it is related to wide stance squats, but I'll hold back my advice until I get more info.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #720
achievieurmax
achievieurmax
has no status.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

achievieurmax is new to the forumachievieurmax is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Couple of questions that will help me answer:

1) How long have you been squatting?
2) Are you doing wide stance squats?
3) Do you have any videos currently up of your squat form?

I am assuming it is related to wide stance squats, but I'll hold back my advice until I get more info.
Ive been squatting for almost 9months now, at my current gym I dont have a mirror, but my squat stance is quite wide I guess. Would it be helpful if I drive to a new gym tommorrow, squat in front of a mirror and send the video to you? via mail?
achievieurmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook