Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Ed1812
Ed1812
Looking after my shoudler
New Brawn
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Pull-ups
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
Ed1812 is off to a good startEd1812 is off to a good startEd1812 is off to a good startEd1812 is off to a good start

very interesting read, thank you bruteforce.
Ed1812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
IainK
IainK
is on the highway to hell
Max Brawn
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Hard work in a can
My Mood: Relaxed
IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

I agree with your conclusion. Unfortunatly your 'study' dosn't prove this;

Your time frame is too short. Given the meal you had, even if fasted, you could still be digesting/absorbing for a couple more hrs.

During the time frame I would not expect much change in rate glucongenisis to occur. Certanly nothing that a capillary sample would detect with much accuracy.

The meal was off mixed compostion.

I certanly would not expect to see a change in urinary protein content.

n=1

Its a valiant effort but even using varied biochem methods and calculations in labs its not a simple thing to get right.

Again, I believe your thesis to be correct! There is no arbitary number that needs to be set against the amount of protein that we can absorb from a feed. It's more a matter of 'time' than much else. There off course is a debate about the increase in protein balance that can occur from a single feeding or protein. Protein balance can indeed be at basline inspite of significant concentrations of cirulatory amino acids.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
IainK
IainK
Max Brawn

IainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machineIainK is a lifting machine

... I hope I don't come over as trying to be too critical and trying to knock you? It's an interesting topic and a good discussion!

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

It isn't supposed to prove anything on a rigorous scientific level. This is just something I live with day in and day out. People shit their pants in fear of not being optimal. Screw optimal, eat a steak.

Now that my rant at the masses is over, I totally agree with what you are saying. There are major studies done on this sort of thing with people who have lots of money and equipment at their disposal. This was simply an attempt to show that the idea that your body implodes if you get more than a very low amount of protein is false. Can I prove it with peer reviewed double blind studies of over 100 participants who are also athletes? Not really. But my traps will support my conclusion

It is a good discussion to have, in particular because I value science and rigor greatly. I studied chemistry and mathematics in a past life before I sold out and went the route of computer science, and I have a soft spot for a good study and quality research. But every now and then a little bit of anecdotal evidence on a topic that has been blown way out of proportion is a good thing. With words like metabolic damage, optimal protein synthesis, de novo lipogenesis, and all natural anabolic amplifier being bandied around by people with heavy hitting advertising departments, this is an attempt at a return to sanity, with some numbers for the generation who can't actually read or comprehend them, but requires numbers and charts before they believe anything.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
IainK
IainK
Max Brawn

I hear you pal!

Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
I hear you pal!
Just making sure that everyone knew where I was coming from.

Actually one other thing I wanted to mention. I may have said something about it in the article, but I have scarring damage to my kidneys from an auto-immune disease. My doctors demand that I eat low protein and say that high protein will destroy my kidneys. In the old days, I would avoid dietary protein before doing a urinalysis, but over time discovered it didn't make a bit of difference.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,130, Level: 96 Points: 26,130, Level: 96 Points: 26,130, Level: 96
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Interesting article in line with yours.

Can you Make Massive Gains Without Carbs? | FLEX Online

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
BravenFenix
BravenFenix
is after a x8 BW total
Max Brawn
Points: 2,671, Level: 31 Points: 2,671, Level: 31 Points: 2,671, Level: 31
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
My Mood: Lurking
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Nice write up and conclusion!

The only time 30g or any spread pattern matters is when you are mainly getting whey as your main protein source in which case you would want to spread your shakes out since that's excess amounts of fast acting proteins are oxidized easily. The Protein Book by Lyle McDonald is a great read by the way....goes over everything.
BravenFenix is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
MadScientistOfMaB
MadScientistOfMaB
is training for strongman
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23

Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Squat, push-press
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & whiskey
My Mood: Aggressive
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

found this. I personally like the part about how the elderly actually do better with large quantities.
http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/10...-30-grams.html
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 220
Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275
MadScientistOfMaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,130, Level: 96 Points: 26,130, Level: 96 Points: 26,130, Level: 96
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravenFenix View Post
Nice write up and conclusion!

The only time 30g or any spread pattern matters is when you are mainly getting whey as your main protein source in which case you would want to spread your shakes out since that's excess amounts of fast acting proteins are oxidized easily. The Protein Book by Lyle McDonald is a great read by the way....goes over everything.
Every time I see one of your posts I have this urge to eat a large pizza.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook