Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,969, Level: 76 Points: 13,969, Level: 76 Points: 13,969, Level: 76
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member
Default Thinking about joining a team

I trained in a gym on base that I've never been in before, and I learned that Ft. Hood actually has a powerlifting team that trains there. The coach started talking to me (to let me know that the chalk bucket I had just used belonged to the team. He didn't seem to mind that I used it though) and I asked about joining. He immediately made a horrible impression by telling me that my deadlift form was "f#cked up", then followed me to my bar and started telling me what I was doing and what I would change.

Let's just say that I don't like people telling me what to do, or to start by telling me that I'm f#cked up. I'm in the Army. I get that plenty.

BUT, I'm still interested in joining the team. There is one caveat though; they compete in the USAPL, which means all tested, all natty. In fact, when I told him that Stan Efferding used a similar technique to the one I use when he totaled 2300+ raw, he said that no man has ever totaled over 2300 raw, and implied that it was because he didn't count it if people weren't tested.

I call bullshit. The strongest men in the world use steroids, and I HATE roid bashers. It's all jealousy if you ask me.

But that being said, if I find that I like the team and believe in what they are doing, I'll go natty at least for a while. It may be worth it for the opportunity to work with other people and learn from people face to face.

I'm not sure if I'll actually join the team or not, but I was told to come out Monday if I want to join. I'm going to go and check things out and make my decision from there.

What do you guys think? I've always trained alone. I don't trust other people and I'm a bit of a know-it-all, so it may be positive for me to learn to listen to someone else, as painful as it may be.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
JBrown
JBrown
knows who he is and does not sweat hypocrisy - 180 lbs 40 years old...1200 or die!!!!
Brawn
Points: 1,832, Level: 25 Points: 1,832, Level: 25 Points: 1,832, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Dos anos mas o menos
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Visualization/Focus
My Mood: Relaxed
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

If a group of other badass "soldiers" are listening to his direction I'd suspect he knows his biz.

He sounds arrogant or dumb as shit though if he's bashing Stan. Tough call.
JBrown is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
ndrwdslv
ndrwdslv
chasing 405 DL
Max Brawn
Points: 3,846, Level: 39 Points: 3,846, Level: 39 Points: 3,846, Level: 39

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Sumo DL
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

If they lift heavier than you, why not?

Oh and btw, heard your deadlift form is f#cked up!
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
If they lift heavier than you, why not?

Oh and btw, heard your deadlift form is f#cked up!
The coach lifts heavier than me. He set a record with a 775 squat. I did some reading up on him and he's legit. But I'm not a fan of someone who thinks that one form is right for everyone. That's my main problem with westside.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
ndrwdslv
ndrwdslv
chasing 405 DL
Max Brawn

ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

If he's a good coach and your form isn't really f* up, he should just give you a few cues at first.. is what I'm thinkin'
But if you don't like the guy, I wouldn't join, unless you can channel that hatred towards the bar lol

Any way you can train with them without a commitment, in case you don't like it?

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
JBrown
JBrown
knows who he is and does not sweat hypocrisy - 180 lbs 40 years old...1200 or die!!!!
Brawn

JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
The coach lifts heavier than me. He set a record with a 775 squat. I did some reading up on him and he's legit. But I'm not a fan of someone who thinks that one form is right for everyone. That's my main problem with westside.
In that case what's the problem. Just because he looks down on your form doesn't mean hes unaware of catering to peoples' specifics. You sound mighty lucky, Soldier. How muchs the coaching?

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65 Points: 9,453, Level: 65
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

I myself would jump on an opportunity like that...of course, I need all the help I can get!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
If he's a good coach and your form isn't really f* up, he should just give you a few cues at first.. is what I'm thinkin'
But if you don't like the guy, I wouldn't join, unless you can channel that hatred towards the bar lol

Any way you can train with them without a commitment, in case you don't like it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
In that case what's the problem. Just because he looks down on your form doesn't mean hes unaware of catering to peoples' specifics. You sound mighty lucky, Soldier. How muchs the coaching?
I don't think there's any money involved. The Army has tons of intramural teams. I have a buddy on the all-army basketball team and he basically spends 1-2 months a year playing basketball as his primary job. Powerlifting is, of course, not as big as basketball and therefore not as big of a time commitment (also not as well funded), but it shouldn't cost me any money to take part, and I'll be able to travel to different competitions with the team.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
JBrown
JBrown
Brawn

Quote:
I don't think there's any money involved. The Army has tons of intramural teams. I have a buddy on the all-army basketball team and he basically spends 1-2 months a year playing basketball as his primary job. Powerlifting is, of course, not as big as basketball and therefore not as big of a time commitment (also not as well funded), but it shouldn't cost me any money to take part, and I'll be able to travel to different competitions with the team.
I'd take on gunfire for that opportunity.

Please know I don't mean that. I respect your service tremendously, my dad fought in WW2. I was too much of a pussy to join.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
ndrwdslv
ndrwdslv
chasing 405 DL
Max Brawn

Quote:
By commitment, I meant, if you find you can't take the coach, are you in shit if you just stop showing up/walk away.

As others said, it's an opportunity, as with everything in the military, he may come off like a douche at first, but after you get to know him, he may be a better guy than you think.. heck, one of the Sgts I thought was an obnoxious prick at first is now one of the few guys I respect!

Share with Facebook