Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #611
Berd
Berd
has no status.
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 year and 6 months
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Anything back related
Fav Supp: RED MEAT
Berd is off to a bad start

Hey Steve,

With compound lifts, does doing low reps with heavier weight build the same amount of mass as doing moderate weight with mid to high rep ranges with consistency in a program?

Also would you consider someone who can rep a heavy weight strong, or someone who can do heavy weight for like 3 reps strong... If that makes sense to you

Thanks brother
Berd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #612
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
hi BtB, my girlfriend is having some shoulder pain when and after she squats in one of her shoulders. Do you have any idea what could be causing this ? Thanks in advance BtB.
Could be a number of issues. Her grip could be too narrow, placing extra stress on the shoulders. She could have picked up some wobble on a rep and strained a shoulder. Also it could just be the bar in the wrong spot.

Is it tender to the touch or a very sharp pain?

I would suggest a more high bar position with a wider grip if it's more of a strain. Try that for a few weeks.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #613
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berd View Post
Hey Steve,

With compound lifts, does doing low reps with heavier weight build the same amount of mass as doing moderate weight with mid to high rep ranges with consistency in a program?

Also would you consider someone who can rep a heavy weight strong, or someone who can do heavy weight for like 3 reps strong... If that makes sense to you

Thanks brother
Hi Berd,

Progression builds muscle, regardless of rep ranges - as long as they are reasonable ranges. With that said, I do not generally advocate under 5 rep sets for intermediate and lower lifters. They need reps, time under tension and form practice too.

Your second question...they are the same thing. Not sure if I am understanding you correctly. Perhaps you can give me some number examples.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #614
Berd
Berd
has no status.
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5

Training Exp: 1 year and 6 months
Fav Exercise: Anything back related
Fav Supp: RED MEAT
Berd is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Berd,

Progression builds muscle, regardless of rep ranges - as long as they are reasonable ranges. With that said, I do not generally advocate under 5 rep sets for intermediate and lower lifters. They need reps, time under tension and form practice too.

Your second question...they are the same thing. Not sure if I am understanding you correctly. Perhaps you can give me some number examples.

Like some of these guys in the nfl combine can rep 225 for 40 reps. Would you say that is stronger than having a 1RM of like 405?
Berd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #615
Teufelhund_OR
Teufelhund_OR
Still a beast at 43!
New Brawn
Points: 897, Level: 15 Points: 897, Level: 15 Points: 897, Level: 15
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Teufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality posts

Here is a 2 part question,

I am a high risk security contractor and have been off work since October, since I have been lifting mostly heavy.

I am due a new contract here in another month or so, I did get bigger and stronger, but now I am too physically heavy, I need to drop body fat off but try to keep my gains.
Would intermittent fasting be the way to go for this if I kept my protein high?
And, I have kettlebells should I add swings and snatches to my workout as the cardio and still dead lift and press?

Question 2, no one has ever answered this when posed...

Due to the Chemical crap storm Uncle same shot me full of in the early 90's with the Corps, I am not dependent on Test Therapy for life as my production shut down when I was about 35 now 43.
My numbers hover around 900 or very high 800's .

Many protocols of lifts call for you to lift in a certain way to elicit a hormonal response, IE higher T levels HGH etc..

If you are already taking an external source of Test (Cypionate) how does this affect the way you should work out, does it still hold the same?

Thank you for your time and attention brother.

V/R
Teufey
Teufelhund_OR is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #616
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berd View Post
Like some of these guys in the nfl combine can rep 225 for 40 reps. Would you say that is stronger than having a 1RM of like 405?
They guys that can do a lot of reps with 225 usually bench well over 450-500.

Gasp from the forum can do 35 or so with 225, and he benches over 500. Same with most of the other lifters who can do 20+ with 225.

Few of them train using high reps, but when tested can easily knock them out.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #617
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post
Here is a 2 part question,

I am a high risk security contractor and have been off work since October, since I have been lifting mostly heavy.

I am due a new contract here in another month or so, I did get bigger and stronger, but now I am too physically heavy, I need to drop body fat off but try to keep my gains.
Would intermittent fasting be the way to go for this if I kept my protein high?
And, I have kettlebells should I add swings and snatches to my workout as the cardio and still dead lift and press?

Question 2, no one has ever answered this when posed...

Due to the Chemical crap storm Uncle same shot me full of in the early 90's with the Corps, I am not dependent on Test Therapy for life as my production shut down when I was about 35 now 43.
My numbers hover around 900 or very high 800's .

Many protocols of lifts call for you to lift in a certain way to elicit a hormonal response, IE higher T levels HGH etc..

If you are already taking an external source of Test (Cypionate) how does this affect the way you should work out, does it still hold the same?

Thank you for your time and attention brother.

V/R
Teufey
Intermittent fasting worked great for me. I lose over 50 pounds in 2 months. Even if you try it and lose a little strength and muscle, it should level out after the cutting is over.

I drink 3-4 protein shakes during the day, then about 2k calories at night. This seems to work great for me with regards to muscle retention.

Q2...Progression is the prime mover for either scenario. Once you have built up a substantial amount of muscle you can start to incorporate some advanced training techniques as a method of periodizing intensity (heavy weight).

Natties who train to spike test are really focused on the wrong thing.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #618
Teufelhund_OR
Teufelhund_OR
Still a beast at 43!
New Brawn
Points: 897, Level: 15 Points: 897, Level: 15 Points: 897, Level: 15

Teufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality posts

Hey thank you for clarifying that, it was always a confusing spot for me since I am not natural anymore and will not be.

I can honestly say that it does help loads for my well being, and it does not hurt in the gym, that aside I am honest about it but it is for medical reasons no shame in that at all not looking to compete just be healthy and keep the momentum going..

Thanks again brother.
Teufelhund_OR is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #619
T800
T800
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

My Mood: Brooding
T800 is off to a bad start

Hello mate,
Recently subscribed to your Youtube channel and working my way through your videos!

I'm a natural bodybuilder from the UK who plans to compete again in around 5 years. Since the birth of my daughter I've decided to let extreme dieting and very frequent training take a back seat and decided that I would like to take a long off season to make some serious improvements, so I can be a better father and be a little less selfish.

In the next five years I want to get brutally strong. I have come up with a routine and a plan and I suppose what I am really after is for someone with a bit of experience to give it the thumbs up Here it is:

-I plan to auto regulate my calories so that I gain roughly a pound every month.
- My routine is as follows:

Wed
Squat 3 x 3-5
OHP 3 x 3-5
Dips 1 x 3-5 (+back off set)

Sat
Deadlift 3 x 3-5
Bench 3 x 3-5
Row 1 x 3-5 (+back off set)

Sun/Mon (Auxiliary-can be dropped if recovery is poor)
Hammers
Pull ups
Calves
Abs

I am a TERRIBLE over analyser and overthinker-I am desperate to try to keep this as simple as possible, whilst getting as strong as possible and allowing me to spend quality time with my family (hence 2-3 days a week training).

Is there anything glaringly wrong with the plan routine? Anything you would change? Any advice on the journey?

Thanks in advance mate your a real inspiration
T800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #620
Thewardrop
Thewardrop
has no status.
Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4 Points: 215, Level: 4

Training Exp: 7 months
Fav Exercise: Bench press
My Mood: Relaxed
Thewardrop is off to a bad start

Any tips getting rid of puffy nipples during puberty? And upper chest does not grow , ... I am 16 is my chest still developing ? Thanks for your time
Thewardrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook