Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #601
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
Hello BBOD,

I'm a 25 year old male, and I started weight training about 6 months ago. I work with an older man in his late 50's who used to be a bodybuilding/fitness coach back in the late 80's early 90's. I told him I wanted to start working out but I'm not out to become a bodybuilder. I've always been heavy-set & big boned so, I said "I just want to get big and strong, and lose some belly fat". He told me that for isolation exercises, "there is no point in doing a lot of multiples, just do one set & push it to failure, but try to use a heavy enough weight that you're gonna hit failure somewhere in between 8 to 15 reps".

And that's what I've been doing. I'll use my biceps for example, I do 5 different exercises for my biceps each week and I alternate the days so I don't get bored. So far, I've gotten stronger & my arms have gotten bigger.

So i am seeing results. But the reason I'm asking is, I have so many people telling me I need to do multiple this and multiple that or if i don't do multiples I'm gonna have "wimpy" arms! But I am getting results and my arms are bigger than theirs!

So, I would like your opinion, are multiple sets necessary for isolation's or is a one set to failure good enough?
Hi Casey,

Results tend to come from progression and consistency; or getting stronger and not missing workouts. With those 2 things in place, program is usually secondary.

You keep doing what you're doing, especially if you're enjoying it. It's not wrong. There are many paths up the mountain.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #602
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
hey was hoping to get some advice on my squat form got a couple videos with different angles here.
Glad to help.

Overall a good base. Your hips are hanging back during your squat lockouts. You need to drive them forward to help you lockout each rep. This is where your power comes from. Even on the more grinding reps you will notice your hips stay back.

Concentrate on thrusting them forward.

Other than that everything looks pretty darn good. Just watch your elbows and back so it remains tight during each rep. If your back and elbows get loose, your elbows will start to creep up over time and you will start to get forward on reps.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #603
jcvd1215
jcvd1215
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

jcvd1215 is off to a bad start

Bbod...I'm doin bodypart split working each muscle once a week...I've jus started bulking after cutting down from 225 to 187lbs..for each bodypart I was wanting to use the big mass builders first ex. Chest day ill start with bench press and I was wondering if it wld work to use the rep goal system on that one exercise for ex. Doin 4 sets of bench with a rep goal of 25 and then using regular 3x8-12 reps for the later exercises for that day? Also I've never been strong at pressing moves and now I have an annoying shoulder that gives me problems from time to time when I do pressing moves so I can't go balls to the wall on pressing moves..do u have any advice?..I've been bench pressing 135lbs for a year now...
jcvd1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #604
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvd1215 View Post
Bbod...I'm doin bodypart split working each muscle once a week...I've jus started bulking after cutting down from 225 to 187lbs..for each bodypart I was wanting to use the big mass builders first ex. Chest day ill start with bench press and I was wondering if it wld work to use the rep goal system on that one exercise for ex. Doin 4 sets of bench with a rep goal of 25 and then using regular 3x8-12 reps for the later exercises for that day? Also I've never been strong at pressing moves and now I have an annoying shoulder that gives me problems from time to time when I do pressing moves so I can't go balls to the wall on pressing moves..do u have any advice?..I've been bench pressing 135lbs for a year now...
Yes, the rep goal system is a great choice. It will allow you to maximize every set, which I am a big fan of.

What exercises, or what seems to trigger your shoulder issues most?

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #605
jcvd1215
jcvd1215
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1

jcvd1215 is off to a bad start

Bbod..I've had a shoulder issue for months now..I started doin rotator cuff exercises and taking glucosamine and my shoulder has gotten better but whenever I do bench press or incline press or shoulder press with bb or db ill have a slight pain in my left shoulder also sometimes when I do lateral raises..but my shoulder never hurts when I do back or arms or legs..so its mostly chest and shoulders that I can't go balls to the wall with..but I don't want that to be an excuse to not gain strength so I thought the rep goal system wld help me out with my bench press and with my military press..
jcvd1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #606
mikehouse101
mikehouse101
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19

Training Exp: 42
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
My Mood: Inspired
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think it's fine to take a lighter week every 8-12 weeks, or when your body feels beat up.

The only time I hate to see deloads is when a lifter simply has an off workout.
Thanks Steve, been hitting it hard since the de load! very intense workouts max effort! I feel great! cant wait to see where I am at in 12 weeks!
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #607
juanjames
juanjames
has no status.
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2

juanjames is off to a bad start

====M/W/F====
DB Bench Press = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
One Arm DB Row = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
One Arm DB Press = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
DB Squat = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)

Day#1 Tricep Extensions = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
Day#2 Bicep Curls = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
Day#3 Trap Shrugs = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)

Day#1 Weighted Crunches = (3 Sets / Failure)
Day#2 Weighted Leg Raises = (3 Sets / Failure)
Day#3 Side to Sides = (3 Sets / Failure)
==============

After you told me my volume was high and that it can take months to get used to Fullbody I decided to just re-do my workout. I lowered the volume from 5 to 3 sets until it gets easy and I can add more. I took out some of the extra exercises. I may swap every now and then, like say swap the rows for pullups ect ect. Also I have a rotating Iso. and Ab exercise for each day. I will probably try this out starting tomorrow. Does it look like a good plan to you?

P.S I know the shrugs are probably killing it but I can't help it man I love my traps. My traps were naturally big before I started lifting so yeah I like to give them some attention lmao.....Anyway I was going to use upright rows for them but yeah I figured my shoulders are already getting enough stress so I wanted to just ISO my traps.

Anyway thanks as always I look up to you in many ways.
juanjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #608
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvd1215 View Post
Bbod..I've had a shoulder issue for months now..I started doin rotator cuff exercises and taking glucosamine and my shoulder has gotten better but whenever I do bench press or incline press or shoulder press with bb or db ill have a slight pain in my left shoulder also sometimes when I do lateral raises..but my shoulder never hurts when I do back or arms or legs..so its mostly chest and shoulders that I can't go balls to the wall with..but I don't want that to be an excuse to not gain strength so I thought the rep goal system wld help me out with my bench press and with my military press..
I honestly would get a Slingshot. I've had shoulder issues, and the support has made benching so much easier. I can't bench raw without one, but with one my shoulders now feel almost perfect.

I am not a big fan of lateral raises, especially if you have shoulder issues. I would find an overhead press variation that is easiest on your shoulders, and then maybe follow it with some rear delt work. For side delts you could try upright rows below the chest (a more limited range of motion), or dumbbell upright rows. Overhead pressing though should get them plenty.

If heavier work on overheads bothers your shoulders I would try 12-20 rep sets with a lighter weight to see how that feels.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #609
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjames View Post
====M/W/F====
DB Bench Press = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
One Arm DB Row = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
One Arm DB Press = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
DB Squat = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)

Day#1 Tricep Extensions = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
Day#2 Bicep Curls = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)
Day#3 Trap Shrugs = (3 Sets / 8-12 Reps)

Day#1 Weighted Crunches = (3 Sets / Failure)
Day#2 Weighted Leg Raises = (3 Sets / Failure)
Day#3 Side to Sides = (3 Sets / Failure)
==============

After you told me my volume was high and that it can take months to get used to Fullbody I decided to just re-do my workout. I lowered the volume from 5 to 3 sets until it gets easy and I can add more. I took out some of the extra exercises. I may swap every now and then, like say swap the rows for pullups ect ect. Also I have a rotating Iso. and Ab exercise for each day. I will probably try this out starting tomorrow. Does it look like a good plan to you?

P.S I know the shrugs are probably killing it but I can't help it man I love my traps. My traps were naturally big before I started lifting so yeah I like to give them some attention lmao.....Anyway I was going to use upright rows for them but yeah I figured my shoulders are already getting enough stress so I wanted to just ISO my traps.

Anyway thanks as always I look up to you in many ways.
The plan looks fine. I would possibly consider a lighter day on Wednesday, meaning different exercises that were a little less physically taxing than what you have on Monday and Friday.

Just figure out how and when you are going o add weight and you're all set.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #610
OHDL
OHDL
Wants more milk!
Max Brawn
Points: 4,519, Level: 42 Points: 4,519, Level: 42 Points: 4,519, Level: 42
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Tired
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

hi BtB, my girlfriend is having some shoulder pain when and after she squats in one of her shoulders. Do you have any idea what could be causing this ? Thanks in advance BtB.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook