Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 133,377, Level: 100 Points: 133,377, Level: 100 Points: 133,377, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I don't really expect to burn any more calories by doing higher rep sets. Unfortunately, however, that's pretty much all I can do for conditioning at this point because my foot kills me if I do anything that involves repeated flexing of the calf, which means just about any conditioning movement there is.
Yes, that really sucks. it's very hard to think of ways around foot/ankle/calf problems. Rowing movements? But I always find they interfere with upper body training.

Quote:
I do have to say, however, that it's actually easier to burn more calories the worse your conditioning is. If your body is less efficient than it will take more energy to do the same thing someone with better conditioning is doing. I'm probably burning a ton of calories.
What you say about efficiency makes perfect sense. For example: it's harder work to get up a flight of stairs when you're out of shape, the heart is beating faster, and so the metabolic rate is raised more. Yet I'm sure I've read stuff that says fit people have higher metabolic rates, so fit people get through more calories. I'm suffering a major logic meltdown here, I'm going to to hide in a cupboard and think about it for a while.

Quote:
My shoulder feels better most of the time, but since I actually injured it benching that's really the main thing that sets it off, which SUCKS because that's really the only upper body movement I care about.
Could you learn to love overhead pressing? For a bit?

Anyway, great start to the new program.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,431, Level: 75 Points: 13,431, Level: 75 Points: 13,431, Level: 75
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Could you learn to love overhead pressing? For a bit?
Honestly, and I hate to say this because it feels like an excuse, but I'm not an overhead presser. Even at my healthiest it hurts like hell. I had lots of shoulder issues when I was younger and it causes major discomfort if I try to overhead press even with relatively lighter weights. I can do it with dumbells because I don't have to go in front of or behind my head, but I don't have dumbells at home.

I have realized though that I need to really focus more on my shoulders, as I'm sure that my weak shoulders are holding back my bench press. Once they start to work semi-properly again I'll be giving them a lot of my time.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
ndrwdslv
ndrwdslv
chasing 405 DL
Max Brawn
Points: 3,720, Level: 38 Points: 3,720, Level: 38 Points: 3,720, Level: 38
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Sumo DL
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Don't worry, you're not alone, I hate OHP too.. actually took it off the routine for a month to rest our shoulders.
Keep up the work, they'll come around
ndrwdslv is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,468,885, Level: 100 Points: 1,468,885, Level: 100 Points: 1,468,885, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How much weight you trying to lose? Is that driven by conditioning or that the suit is tight?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
How much weight you trying to lose? Is that driven by conditioning or that the suit is tight?
Neither, actually. My suit fits perfect and if I lose this weight it won't anymore. A lot of it is that I'm just a lot fatter than I'd like to be, and I also don't feel very healthy at the moment. My profile pic is a fading memory at this point, and that's not ok with me.

I'm currently in the upper 230's and I want to get at least below 220. I also feel I can be more competitive at lower weight classes compared to 242.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,481, Level: 90 Points: 20,481, Level: 90 Points: 20,481, Level: 90
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Neither, actually. My suit fits perfect and if I lose this weight it won't anymore. A lot of it is that I'm just a lot fatter than I'd like to be, and I also don't feel very healthy at the moment. My profile pic is a fading memory at this point, and that's not ok with me.

I'm currently in the upper 230's and I want to get at least below 220. I also feel I can be more competitive at lower weight classes compared to 242.
easy to fix suit, pinch the hips. Cost like $30, so good luck with the weight loss!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
easy to fix suit, pinch the hips. Cost like $30, so good luck with the weight loss!
Thanks man. Honestly, the suit is not a big concern. I just want a raw 500 squat now. It's all I can think about while I'm training. It may take a while since I'm cutting too, but I'm going to get it.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
pds57
pds57
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 423, Level: 8 Points: 423, Level: 8 Points: 423, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Grumpy
pds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good postspds57 has made some good posts

Quote:
Thanks man. Honestly, the suit is not a big concern. I just want a raw 500 squat now. It's all I can think about while I'm training. It may take a while since I'm cutting too, but I'm going to get it.
Good luck on your goals!

We have a lot in common, I'm rehabbing a shoulder and neck injury and all I think about is a 500lb raw squat at 56 years old. Nov 9th I will do it at my next planed meet.
pds57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

I finally got to do some more lifting today. Shoulder is getting better, but I still don't feel comfortable doing much with it. Today I continued the quest to get 500.

Squat-
45x3
45x3
135x3
185x2
225x2
275x2 (Not feeling too good at this point. Feeling weak and tired from being sick)
Add belt and wraps-
315x2
365x1
365+30lb of chains x1
315x2

Deficit deads-
45x5
135x5
225x3
225x4
225x5

I feel exhausted. It's a combination of being sick, being dehydrated from being sick, and being on a calorie deficit. I took my usual caffeine, but nothing could get me going today and I felt tight and weak all day. It's getting hot here which helps with the tightness, but certainly doesn't help with feeling weak.

After my heaviest squat I couldn't hear very well for a while. My head is definitely still messed up a bit. Luckily I don't have to go to work tomorrow so I'll be able to get some extra sleep in the morning. It's going to be a long week until Friday when I get to eat carbs, but I'm committed to this, and I'm going to follow my own advice and make sure I give it time to work.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Sorry for the lack of posting. My computer is messed up, so I have to use my wife's. Yesterday was very frustrating. I like this diet, but evidently my body is even more sensitive to carb deprivation than I thought. Yesterday I was almost pinned by 325 on squats. I feel weak and tired when I'm lifting. I had wanted to leave the belt and wraps off for these sessions as much as possible, but it's just not going to happen unless I lower the weights way down.

I'm going to stick with the plan for now, at least for the next few weeks, then I may have to move on to a diet that doesn't limit my carbs. Here's what I did yesterday, and what I'll do again later today.

Squats-
45x5
45x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
265x8
265x8
265x8
285x5
305x2
305x2
325x1

I used wraps for most of the "heavy" sets, but I left everything off for the last single. I didn't need freaking equipment for a measly 325, but damned if I didn't just barely get it up. Pathetic. Frustrating. I feel lost. I drop a few pounds, leave the carbs out for a week and all of a sudden my squat drops 100lb?

If I keep getting weaker as the weight drops I'll switch things up, but if I stay around where I am I may just stick with it in hopes that once I bring the carbs back in the strength will come back too.
Goals-
Win.

Share with Facebook