Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #21
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Good tips! Thanks.

As usual, Gaspers cuts right to the quick! I think that makes the most sense for me.
MikeM is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
Aurik
Aurik
aka Gimpy the 8th dwarf
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
My Mood: Paranoid
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

I've got an Inzer Forever Belt (13mm, two-prong). It took awhile to break in and was a real b*tch to wear until I did break it in, but now it's absolutely awesome. It's pricey but very high quality and well-made. The only thing I would have changed is to get 1 prong instead of 2 (getting both prongs to seat is sometimes a pain when you've got it cinched tight).

FYI, Dave Tate has a good article on breaking in a belt on EliteFTS. I used a lot of the techniques he says, except don't try rolling up the belt and pressing it between you and something BREAKABLE. I broke a sofa that way... fortunately the wife already was shopping for a new one... but still. The article is here: Virgin Belt Users

Oh, and when I'm doing ME training on deadlifts, squats, or military press, I'll put the belt on for my last 2 warmup sets pretty loose... that helps the belt find the right spot (per Rippetoe), and then cinch it down for the really heavy set(s).

Last edited by Aurik; 04-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
Boucher
Boucher
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 399, Level: 7 Points: 399, Level: 7 Points: 399, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Boucher is new to the forumBoucher is new to the forum

I have the economy 13mm belt from EliteFTS and I absolutely love it. Has definitely taken a while to break in, but over time it has started to break in nicely. Only downfall is that I need to file down the end because if I put it through the loop after buckling it has actually cut my arm while deadlifting.
Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
SaxonViolence
SaxonViolence
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Yeehaw
SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Does anyone know of a good cheap Leather belt...

{!!!XX***&^!!! Synthetics!!!}

That goes up to 60"?

I'm thinking that maybe I should just bite the bullet and save long and hard for an Inzer...

Or see if I can get someone on one of the Leather Working Forums to make me one.

My coach always said that my belt was cheap and flimsy, but it suited my purposes.

They still have those bargain store belts—but not at my new waist size...

I've been told that I wear my belt relatively high—where it gives little back support...

{Top edge of belt just contacting last rib...}

But that's where I want to be "Wedged-In" as Musashi put it.

I use my Belt for everything Except midsection work or anything that involves bending over.

i.e. I don't wear the belt Deadlifting; Cleaning; Doing Sit-ups or Hyper-Extensions (Can't get low enough and also feel choked...)

Otherwise my belt stays on...

Weaken the back?

Well then I'll throw in a couple sets of unweighted Hyper-Extensions at the end of my workout.

Honest—You'll feel stronger and lift better, even when doing wrist-roller work or finger exercises, with a good tight Belt on.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #25
1Strength
1Strength
Bodybuilding day
Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
My Mood: Cheerful
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

A lot of people are comfortable handling belts...I hate them while doing Squats and Deadlifts. I've trained myself where I can pull 500+ with no belt and I'm fine by that. But for OHP max outs I sometimes like having a belt around.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #26
Dray
Dray
is in ur base building
Max Brawn
Points: 7,073, Level: 55 Points: 7,073, Level: 55 Points: 7,073, Level: 55
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: wpc
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I don't know if $80 is "cheap", Saxon, but anyway, the Inzer Forever 10mm buckle belt (same kind I recently bought, incidentally) goes up to 5XL, for which 60" would be smack bang in the middle, so perfect.

There might be cheaper options, and there might even be better ones for all I know. But based on my limited experience so far (and a bunch of anecdotes here and there), I would recommend that belt for sure.

(Single prong is my preference - far less hassle, but just as secure, apparently.)

Share with Facebook