Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 18,973, Level: 87 Points: 18,973, Level: 87 Points: 18,973, Level: 87
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Personally, I lift both raw and equipped, and both are completely different. I don't even treat them like the same lift. .
They really shouldn't be too much different (lest from my point of view). Even my multiply squat doesn't change much. Only thing I change is the width of my feet. I try to get down fast either way. That stuff is painful! haha

As far as the original question, Solider hit it pretty good I think. You don't have much arch, or your hams and gluts are not being loaded. Could also be an air issue. Normally if I am able to keep my air in the bottom of my gut I am much more explosive. If you get a chance to post a video let me know and I will give you my .02 for what its worth.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71 Points: 11,771, Level: 71
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
They really shouldn't be too much different (lest from my point of view). Even my multiply squat doesn't change much. Only thing I change is the width of my feet. I try to get down fast either way. That stuff is painful! haha
Well, we both know that I'm still learning, especially in gear, but my equipped squat had gotten wider and slower every time I put my suit on. Meanwhile, my raw squat has remained much more narrow along with that quick drop I mentioned. Maybe later I'll find a happy median that will work best for both, but at this point I really do treat them as different lifts. I'm finding my equipped squat to be very westside-esque at this point. I even hold the bar higher with gear on because my torso stays more upright with the wider stance.

Also, VERY good point on the air. When I get a belly full of air it makes a massive difference at the bottom.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 18,973, Level: 87 Points: 18,973, Level: 87 Points: 18,973, Level: 87
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Well, we both know that I'm still learning, especially in gear, but my equipped squat had gotten wider and slower every time I put my suit on. Meanwhile, my raw squat has remained much more narrow along with that quick drop I mentioned. Maybe later I'll find a happy median that will work best for both, but at this point I really do treat them as different lifts. I'm finding my equipped squat to be very westside-esque at this point. I even hold the bar higher with gear on because my torso stays more upright with the wider stance.

Also, VERY good point on the air. When I get a belly full of air it makes a massive difference at the bottom.
Nope I think we said the same thing, just misunderstood each other a little. I think the gear is slowing down you squat, not you slowing down your squat. If that makes sense. Either way, both ways are working for you now, it it aint broke DONT FIX IT!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
GT55
GT55
Wants 900 in 1 yr
Brawn
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Crunches of course
Fav Supp: A second plate
My Mood: Stressed
GT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributorGT55 is a consistent contributor

Just back from the gym! First up, screwed up with the video, forgot the card at home! BUT you guys were spot on with the advice. Got my stomach full of air, tightened everything as hard as I could and blew past last weeks weights! Also, getting the belt buckle parallel to the floor is a good tip, but I ended up with the weight forward on my toes on a few reps. I guess that's going to get better with practice. My knees are going too far forward too I think. Anyway, it was noticeably easier to get out of the hole. Thanks to ye all, and I'll try to get a video on Wednesday
GT55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
fenrisulfr
fenrisulfr
Tired of lifting these baby weights.
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 8,514, Level: 62 Points: 8,514, Level: 62 Points: 8,514, Level: 62
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Tired
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Great news. Tight is always > loose
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT55 View Post
Just back from the gym! First up, screwed up with the video, forgot the card at home! BUT you guys were spot on with the advice. Got my stomach full of air, tightened everything as hard as I could and blew past last weeks weights! Also, getting the belt buckle parallel to the floor is a good tip, but I ended up with the weight forward on my toes on a few reps. I guess that's going to get better with practice. My knees are going too far forward too I think. Anyway, it was noticeably easier to get out of the hole. Thanks to ye all, and I'll try to get a video on Wednesday
Remember, facing your belt towards the ground is just a technique thought. You don't want to do it at the expense of other things, and it'll only work if you keep your chest up while you do it, because that's what creates the arch. A good arch will actually stop you right near parallel if you're strong enough to hold it when you get there.

It's awesome to hear that everything seems to be working for you. As for your knees, I'll withold advice until I can see a video.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
SaxonViolence
SaxonViolence
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Yeehaw
SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

I have a question about "Bouncing".

I notice that the Powerlifting rules say that you can't bounce multiple times to get up momentum to rock out of the bottom position on a Squat.

Seriously now, If the rules did not forbade it, could someone with 500-900 or 1000 Pounds on their back do anything at all useful bobbing up and down?

It makes my knees ache just thinking about doing it with just 315.

I can't see bouncing with 500 or more would accomplish anything but destroying one's knees.

What do y'all think?

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100 Points: 35,003, Level: 100
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
So for most people in a raw meet (just knee wraps) is it better to drop fast or slow?
Fast within the boundaries of control.
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Another thought on wraps: the more supportive gear I have, the slower I go. I like to actually feel the gear taking the weight away as I lower, and wraps are no different. Some, however, like a wrap with more rebound. I'm more of a cast-like guy, but even with wraps I drop more quickly if I'm raw.

I'd feel like my knees were going to be torn apart if I dropped hard with tight wraps. Again, just my personal preference.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Share with Facebook