Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #31
Dunkishrock
Dunkishrock
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dunkishrock is off to a bad start
Default Stomach Fat

What is the best way to loose stomach fat the fastest?
Dunkishrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #32
jespin03
jespin03
has no status.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

jespin03 is off to a bad start
Thumbs up Sixpak

Hey MenAce, You honestly think if I win this Ab carver Pro with a clean diet and good exercise routine, it will help me get a pak like your's? By the way like always looking good in the pic. I hope one day I'll look that good. Then my wife of 31 years will stick around another 30 or more.lol. Keep up the good work, your Rican Bro
jespin03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #33
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Hi Emeka...I had a question anyway...so here are two instead:

As a youngster did you ever consider that you may become a bodybuilder further down the line?

Do you have a particular muscle group that lags or takes a lot more work to develop? If so, which muscle group is it and how have you tackled the issue and with what sort of success?

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
tayjeremy
tayjeremy
Always learning, Always Lifting
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
My Mood: Blah
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Hey Emeka,

How many meals do you eat a day? How many total calories do you take in while dieting?

What supplements do you take?

Do you have any refeeds or "Free meals?" during your diet?

Of course these are specific to you. But I'd like to see how you taper/tailor things to your individual feelings and etc.

Anyway, Looking great
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #35
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
My Mood: Inspired
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysofdarkness View Post
What kind of cardio are you doing now? And what would you suggest for a beginner?
Hey there!

I am currently doing 20-30 mins of Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) cardio 4 times a week. One of those sessions is done on Saturday morning on and empty stomach. Nothing too major and fancy. I'm in my off season and I simply cannot afford to be the guy that doesn't do cardio, lol. I hold water and fat pretty easy so this has been my commitment for the off season.

My cardio is done mainly on the treadmill. I hike that incline up to 12-15 and speed to 2.5. Try to go no hand as much as possible.

For a beginner I would suggest doing 3 sessions LISS cardio a week. Keep it around 15-30 mins and use cardio equipment such as the tread or elliptical.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn

emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjmo View Post
Do you find it hard staying focused?

Also any tips cuting I'm starting a cut in July.

thanks

Dan
Hi buddy!

Staying focused is something that comes with my desire. Strong desire = Strong focus.

I don't find it hard to stay focused and neither will you. Once you place you mind on your desired outcome, it becomes hard to not focus on what you want your end result to be. Make your goal a part of you daily routine and you will find that even if you were to lose focus, habit will keep you on track.

The biggest factors about cutting are these:

1. Be patient - So many people want to be shredded and they want it now but results are usually slow in this process.

2. Stay consistent - You will have to keep a consistent effort daily. Consistency is much more than going to the gym everyday. Consistency needs to be apart of everything you do from your dieting to your resting.

3. Take a calculated approach - This is the biggest factor to success in your cut. You should take the time to log this experience. How much are your daily macros? What exercises will you perform today? How many set? Reps? How many hours did you sleep yesterday? How was your workout intensity? etc These are the questions that you will use to help you improve from week to week and also help you pinpoint anything that may be an hindrance to your results.

The best way to take a calculated approach is to start up a log here and we will help you.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

www.thesimplefitness.com

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen View Post
Dear Emeka!

For how long have you stayed at under 5% bodyfat for the longest yet? And did you mention any physical or psychological differences in that period of time?

I really want to know how pro bodybuilders come along with that physical and psychological pressure.

AND: If you do cardio (i for now assume you do), what type of cardio do you do and what are the reasons for you to do cardio instead of just eating less or doing higher volume workouts for calorie burn?

BR from Austria
Hey there all the way in Austria!

Honestly, I don't keep track of my bodyfat in my prep. I only keep track of my bodyfat in the off season to keep me aware of if I am getting out of hand. But as a bber, numbers like BFF and weight tend to be just that, a number. We rely heavily on the mirror and the eyes of others. Personally, I rely mostly on the eyes of my wife (My toughest critic) and about 2 other guys I trust. Because, to answer your second question, as you have been dieting for 14+ weeks and that show is approaching your personal perspective begins to change.

As your personal perspective changes you don't see what everyone else sees. lol! I remember looking in the mirror and saying to myself "Wow, I am not where I need to be" and my wife would tell me "You've never looked this good before" lol! So as you approach those lower levels of bodyfat from prep, you must become mentally strong and depend on the truthfulness of those around you.

It's actually not a lot of pressure when you believe in what you are doing. Often times pressure is a result of uncertainty. As long as I believe in my approach and my team the pressure can be avoided. That's why I always tell people in bbing you may only see one person on stage but it took a team to get him/her there.

Currently, I am doing 20-30 minutes of LISS cardio 4 times a week. The reason why it is important to do cardio and not just eat less for me is because cardio has a lasting effect on your body and metabolism that you can't achieve by eating less. More volume is goo but here's the thing about training:

Higher volume - More calories burned at the time of training
Heavy weight/moderate volume - More calories burned after training

With those two points considered, it would be good to train heavy and get stimulating muscle breakdown for good recovery and growth. Then to perform cardio to help you get into the fat burning zone.

Last but not least, cardio has it's health benefits on respiratory system. Heart, lungs, nasal passage, etc

www.EmekaOkammor.com

www.thesimplefitness.com

Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #38
Khamo
Khamo
is breathing into his balls
New Brawn
Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8 Points: 415, Level: 8

Training Exp: 6 months
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Sqwat
My Mood: Asleep
Khamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good postsKhamo has made some good posts

Got a question for you Emeka.

How would you approach a mini cut? i want to stay relatively lean for the summer but not completely cut. Do you recommend doing the same routine?

Squat - 315
Bench - 225
Deadlift - 350

GOT A LONG WAY TO GO

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. ~Buddha
Khamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #39
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
What is your favorite way to approach progressive overload? Do you prefer to add reps or sets before increasing the weight?
I always aim to add weight

My rep range is 8-12 on everything muscle except legs. Legs are in the 12-15 range.

If I can land in the desired rep range without a spot then I increase my weight on the next set.

Sometimes I increase the volume by performing a dropset or a rest pause set for my last set of a particular exercise. That set really jacks up the intensity.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

www.thesimplefitness.com

Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #40
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponx25 View Post
Have you ever tried intermittent fasting before competitions?
Hi,

I can't say that I've ever tried intermittent fasting before ever. The only fasting I do is for church, lol. Im sure its a great approach but I have not seen a way to safely incorporate it into my prep.

At one point or another, during prep you get to the point to where you are running off fumes. I cant imagine going 12-24 hours of no food and including training and cardio somewhere in that day. It is a very beneficial approach for someone who may be seeking to lose a weight and look good. As a bber, it's a little risky.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

www.thesimplefitness.com

Share with Facebook