Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Epinephrine
Epinephrine
is building the beast
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Mood: Twisted
Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

In my opinion if you're eating more food than your body needs to pack on muscle, you're also going to pack on some fat. Unless you're a super genetic freak or on the juice then there's really nothing you're gonna be able to do about that. You should just be happy that you're getting stronger and making progress in the gym! Who cares if you get a little pudgy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Over thinking things is a great way to fall into categories 1 and 2 in my opinion.
While people try to micro manage every small detail of their diet and workout they tend to lose focus on the simple things. Spending time in the gym and eating a little more than calories than your body needs to maintain it's current weight seem to work great for me and most people.
I believe this with every fiber in my body! People over think and second guess themselves ALL THE TIME and that's the one sure fire way to NOT SUCCEED. Just be smart about your food choices for the most part, but don't shy away from eating those goodies and just let the magic of HEAVY ASS LIFTING and INTENSITY do the rest of the work!
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,964, Level: 40 Points: 3,964, Level: 40 Points: 3,964, Level: 40
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODY_SNIDER View Post
I talked to Donnie Thompson about this once. He gained all his weight by only eating a few meals a day. Just very very large meals! And took in protein shakes in between. Only eating a couple meals slowed his metabolism down. He also trained like a mad man for hours on end so this could be his answer for staying leanish. He is one of the most muscular people I have ever seen
Every large mammal I know did this. Large meals, hours of training.

Training in an hour and eating big will get you fat.

Think about heavy compound movements where you take 3-5 mins between sets. Imagine the weights you could be pushing if you did that with your assistance work. That combined with food would equal growth.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Schoenfeld
So what is an ideal caloric consumption for building muscle without porking up like a Sumo wrestler? A general guideline is to consume between 18 to 20 calories per pound of body weight. If you're a 200-pound guy, this equates to a target caloric intake of about 3600 to 4000 calories a day.
The interesting thing about this is that I rarely see anyone under 25 eat this many calories these days. They are all eating 2400 calories per day claiming they are gaining fat rapidly. (Which I don't buy for obvious reasons)

I only mention this because I rarely see any youngster these days eat over 2500 cals per day. They all think their maintenance levels are super low because of calculators.

If you suggest over 3000 cals 2/3rds of them will fall to the ground, twitching, eyes rolling, and the Curly shuffle will commence. They all laugh hilariously at you like you have lost your mind.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
Bill
Bill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,964, Level: 40 Points: 3,964, Level: 40 Points: 3,964, Level: 40
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Drag Race Speed Champion!
My Mood: Angry
Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

I dont buy the 18-20x calories to bulk. I can lose, gain or maintain on 5k per day. Meal timing and macros are more important
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
mikehouse101
mikehouse101
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 42
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
My Mood: Inspired
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

My body weight has not changed in 6 months. I am getting wide on top and narrow in the middle and making big gains on the bar! I eat clean and work hard in the gym! I agree meal timing and macros are the key!
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Epinephrine
Epinephrine
is building the beast
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Mood: Twisted
Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The interesting thing about this is that I rarely see anyone under 25 eat this many calories these days. They are all eating 2400 calories per day claiming they are gaining fat rapidly. (Which I don't buy for obvious reasons)

I only mention this because I rarely see any youngster these days eat over 2500 cals per day. They all think their maintenance levels are super low because of calculators.

If you suggest over 3000 cals 2/3rds of them will fall to the ground, twitching, eyes rolling, and the Curly shuffle will commence. They all laugh hilariously at you like you have lost your mind.
I used to use a calorie counter thing on my iPhone to track my macros and was eating about 4,000-5,000 calories a day when I was bulking. That's when I actually started to put on size, too. In the past when I would eat what the calculations said to (so like 2,800-3,500 or something like that) my physique didn't change, and neither did the weights I was pushing. Eating anything less than 3,000 calories a day is pointless, in my opinion, if you're trying to grow. But that's just my $0.02. Now-a-days everyone seems to be an "expert" or a guru and can bulk while keeping their precious abbies.

Last edited by Epinephrine; 05-12-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: error
Epinephrine is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
skids
skids
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,238, Level: 41 Points: 4,238, Level: 41 Points: 4,238, Level: 41
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
My Mood: Sleepy
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Gidday there MAB folk, I hope this doesn't annoy anybody because I know there are some fairly staunch nutrition folk on here.

I have no real system in place, all this magical calories, macro's and protein levels have no place in my LIFE. I haven't the first clue how to even work that crap out. When I am Bulking or just living in general I eat plenty, I don't piss around. I have a big breakfast with milk, morning tea is food with milk, lunch is food with milk, afternoon tea is food with milk, Dinner is food with milk, supper is food with milk. However I do have a protein shake post workout because it just seems to be what the masses are doing, not too sure if it has ever done anything for me though. When I'm not bulking I simply don't drink as much milk and eat a little less. Thats it, no real hardship which ever way i am going. The only other thing I do is limit my alcohol because (A) I don't believe it will ever help my lifting and (B) working out with a hangover is cruel. But that is truly my Weightlifting eating habits and gains on the bar come often. Cheers, Nath.
skids is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #18
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i'm with you on that that skids sounds very much how i do things and i have got stronger and gained muscle, if it works why not.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

I started on 3000, but everyone recommended I start slower until I'm gaining a good amount of weight each month.

2500 seems to be working for me fine now I've realized allot of what I thought was extra fat was water.

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 05-13-2013 at 07:07 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
They all think their maintenance levels are super low because of calculators.

How do your maintenance as a teen though? There aren't any teen specific calculators out there that I know of, everything has to go on an estimate.

I remember everyone telling me this a couple of months back, but I still never knew the answer to what my maintenance was. All I knew was that it'd be higher than your average person.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook